First thoughts, questions & wish list

mmaso

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Okay, trying to move away from my blackberry torch and purchased a Lumia 900. I also own an EVO 4g android (and will keep for the time being). My first thoughts and impressions (I may be missing some ways to do some of these things, so I hope I'll get tips back). I will keep reading old posts on this forum to pick some things up!

1) I have always loved auto-text on blackberry. Nothing is quite like it - I'm in a field that I need to do some canned/long responses and auto text is perfect for that. Also things like date and time (ld and lt on blackberry inserts them). I figured out a way to do it on android using smartkeyboard app. Wishlist #1: auto-text like feature for windows phone.

2) Voice: Maybe it's me, but voice sucks. On android, I can say "this is a test period call me later comma or i will call you" and it will come out as "This is a test. Call me later, or I will call you". On the Nokia - it comes out "this is a test period call me later ocmma or i will call you". Seriously? It doesn't understand punctuation? Wishlist #2: More dynamic voice dictation or a good app that does that.

3) Google Maps - can't install it on the AT&T Lumia 900? Come now..

4) Nokia Drive - Pretty cool. Does almost everything I need instead of google maps/navigation. However, with android, I can push the voice button and say "navigate to 900 east west street in Denver" and it will fire pu navigation and stick the address in there. Sweet. Can't see if it works with Nokia Drive.

5) When I turn on phone, I see the tiles and clock in upper right. That's it. No signal meter? No type of connection? Is it a setting somewhere?

6) Apps: Kinda of light in capability. For example, I use pulse on pc, android and laptop. Pretty cool that they are all synced. Pulse has app for Nokia, but no sync option. Guess time will fix some of these issues - it is a new phone after all. Can't wait for some of the other browsers, like Dolphin, to come to the platform.

7) Documentation on voice transcription would be nice. Manual shows about voice commands, but searched left and right to find out if the punctuation feature even exists (see above). Forgetting that for a moment, documenting the different aspects of this phone fully would be nice.

8) Calendar: When I open calendar, I get the agenda. I like it (need to read up on what the icons all mean). I push the calendar item and get the month (not real useful except showing the month!). No week view?

9) outlook: e-mail shows sender name, subject and first line of text. I can't see where that is configurable? I really would rather not see the text and get more emails on thes creen. Need to look at fonts also - a bit large, but think that is easy to set.

Okay, that's my first blush at this thing. Will play with it some more. Over-all, I am very impressed with the phone. I think it is has some serious potential!

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Tap the area where the clock and battery meter are and the connection data will drop down. It will only display persistently if you have no signal.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
OP. You are correct on many of your "first impressions"

I own all the gadgets. Android. iOS. Blackberry. Symbian.

Coming from the Android side. Definitely understand some of your complaints. Windows Phone navigation (Nokia Drive) isn't anywhere near as complete as Google Navigation. But remember Nokia is really on windows software for about 12 months and they are already on 2.0 navigation. I am sure Nokia will hit it out of the park with 3.0 Nokia Drive. Remember Nokia owns Navteq mapping software. Plus Nokia Drive doesn't depend on cellular data. It's downloaded to your phone.

Android's email system (outside of gmail) is a mess. I think Microsoft handles emails much better although I think iOS is superior to both.

I loved blackberry emails obviously. But RIM is dying a slow death so it's time to move on.

Windows Phone voice support is pretty rudimentary.

Apps....for sure it's lacking compared to ios and android.

But keep the Nokia Lumia for X amount of time until your return period is about over. It will grow on you. I brought it on day 1 full price $450. Some things drove me crazy (camera particularly). So I returned it after 10 days and paid the $35 restocking fee.

Than a week later. I realized I missed the phone and found a super deal on Craigslist. $280 practically brand new.

So not sure if you used your upgrade to buy the phone. But keep it for a couple
Of weeks and see how it's working for you.

One thing the Lumia has going is LTE battery life. It's far superior to another LTE android (with exception of Motorola droid razr maxx). I can last an entire day with heavy use on LTE. And call quality is excellent. As usual. Nokia's antennas are also excellent.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
5) When I turn on phone, I see the tiles and clock in upper right. That's it. No signal meter? No type of connection?
WP7 embodies a philosophy that says "you don't have to wory about that." Battery and signal strength are hidden at normal times. If you lose signal or the battery gets low, the icons appear all the time. The idea is that you don't even have to read the icon to know what's going on -- it's mere presence tells you something.

A similar thing impacts settings like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. On WM6, I had them handy; lots of Android users complain about how many clicks it takes to toggle these radios. The WP7 philosophy is "you don't have to worry about that" -- just leave the radios on and trust the OS to manage them for you.

People who want to be systems administrators will be frustrated by WP7 because it wasn't designed to encourage that kind of activity. People who want to simply use a device may be frustrated by Android, which often needs more hands-on management.

TheDarKnight

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
3) Google Maps – Bing + local scout are really good if find them faster than Google maps and Google nav ,if you didn’t like them try Nokia maps and Nokia city lens.

5) Tap on the top you will see them then.

7) Documentation on voice transcription would be nice. Press and hold the windows button, voice will come up; tap the question mark on the top right corner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)