Long time iPhone user trying Lumia 900. Good and Bad

rotobadger

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
You can still use iTunes btw. Add your iTunes library to the Zune desktop client and it will sync it to your phone. It just won't also transfer your playlists ect.

So if you still want to use iTunes for the place to get your music thats fine, but use it just as a storefront. Use Zune for making playlists and setting up what you want transfered.

I'm using the Windows Phone 7 connector from the app store to sync all my iTunes stuff and it seems to work very well. My complaint is that the phone itself doesn't have iTunes store. I tend to download TV shows or other video content straight to my phone.

Now if Apple and Microsoft merged...:lol:

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Again, after 5 years on iOS exclusively, it's hard to let go...even temporarily. I have my comfort zone of all my apps, I know where everything is and how to use it best. But every time I turn on the Lumia 900 I'm amazed at how nice it is! This week I'm going to try to go Lumia all the time *gulp* but it should be fun.

I need to get an LTE sim for it. Everything I read tells me I should be able to have a sim provisioned for LTE on my current contract and should be able to then switch back and forth between the iPhone 4 and the Lumia 900.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes. The hardest part for most users leaving the Apple ecosystem is indeed their iTunes library and not necessarily the app ecosystem, which I would guess makes perfect sense. As to LTE, yes, if you have a Lumia 900 with data on your contract, you can indeed get an LTE SIM for it without making any other changes. If you live in an area that has LTE, it is a good upgrade - battery life seems better on LTE than "4G" (aka 3G+), and it is quite a bit faster.

Let us know how your test goes with the Lumia, and good luck!

rotobadger

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Good luck, and let us know how it goes. The hardest part for most users leaving the Apple ecosystem is indeed their iTunes library and not necessarily the app ecosystem, which I would guess makes perfect sense. As to LTE, yes, if you have a Lumia 900 with data on your contract, you can indeed get an LTE SIM for it without making any other changes. If you live in an area that has LTE, it is a good upgrade - battery life seems better on LTE than "4G" (aka 3G+), and it is quite a bit faster.

Let us know how your test goes with the Lumia, and good luck!

Well, I just got back from the AT&T store where they gave me a new sim. Turns out, there's no LTE in my part of the city! :lol: Oh well. At least I'll have it when I travel.

Also, the good news is my iPhone works perfectly with the new sim. Best of both worlds! Well, sort of.

I'll keep you guys posted on my experience with the Lumia 900!

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you read my post, nowhere did I indicate that I've never tried Bing. I said that I have not given it a real chance.

In fact, I've used Bing numerous times. And I didn't like it.

It's comments like these with the rabid fanboyism that make newcomers feel unwelcome here. It's okay if someone doesn't like Bing.

I made a post about green beans. Lighten up.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies and advice so far!

J4rrod: I have to admit that I hate...HATE Bing! I've always been partial to Google but, to be fair, have not given Bing a real chance. I'll take your advice and try it for a week or so and see what I think then.

The reason it's so hard for me to let go of iTunes is that I watch a ton of movies and TV shows on my iPhone (I travel quite a bit for work). I usually download movies and convert to MP4 from various...*cough*...sources (or rip them from DVD) but a fair amount of the time it's just easier to download from iTunes, especially when I'm on the go.

I just downloaded SurfCube and that seems to be an answer to IE so far.

Again, after 5 years on iOS exclusively, it's hard to let go...even temporarily. I have my comfort zone of all my apps, I know where everything is and how to use it best. But every time I turn on the Lumia 900 I'm amazed at how nice it is! This week I'm going to try to go Lumia all the time *gulp* but it should be fun.

I need to get an LTE sim for it. Everything I read tells me I should be able to have a sim provisioned for LTE on my current contract and should be able to then switch back and forth between the iPhone 4 and the Lumia 900.

Ah, modern times!
It sounds like you're dipping your toes in the water. For best results when trying something new I recommend going all in. Leave your old methods behind and start using the new methods 100%. This is how I approach it even with new versions of Windows, Office, Exchange Server, or whatever. Some people try to make the old system act like the new system because that's familiar to them. I suppose I can understand that approach if the new system is forced upon them, but if you're willingly going to a new system then go for it full force.

For you, this means forgetting about Google and iTunes. Using your girlfriend analogy, your new girlfriend won't work out so great if you keep asking her to do things like your old girlfriend did!!!

Last edited:

rotobadger

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, what do you use the screenshot function for?

Some websites imbed photos with coding that (for one reason or another) do not allow picture copy. Ebay does this. I find myself keeping pictures of certain items that I collect or wanting quick access to a series of photos from several auctions for comparison (rather than waiting for each page to load and having to save the links).

Also, PDFs. For example, I wanted a quick access seating chart for the Arizona Cardinals games and just took a screen shot.

Facebook pictures as well. Sometimes my wife posts a picture I like and it's just quick and easy to screenshot it rather than remind myself to ask her and have her email it or text it to me.

venom5150

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
This + 1. The built-in search function with Bing is very good. I don't miss Google search at all. In fact, I use the Bing app on my iPhone and iPad, and changed my default search engine to Bing on all my devices as well.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

Funny, I did the same. Loved the experience in Bing so much that my 4s and ipad now have Bing as default search engine.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I want to remind everyone to make relevant helpfully posts it is one of our forum rules.

OP if you are a developer with an unlocked device you can take screen shots. If you don't want to spend the $100 to become a developer just hand in there for a while. The L900 is a very popular WP I would bet that it wont be long before someone cracks it open so you can jailbreak it.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Come on guys !!!

Please keep it on topic ,
replying to a OFF topic post is also OFF topic ;)

Ignoring a POST is the best way to move on!
Well, the way you guys limply tell everyone to "get back on topic" without actually disciplining anyone, ignoring off-topic posts doesn't do anything either. I guess I don't know why I work myself up by coming to these forums anymore.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Well, the way you guys limply tell everyone to "get back on topic" without actually disciplining anyone, ignoring off-topic posts doesn't do anything either. I guess I don't know why I work myself up by coming to these forums anymore.

If you have an issue with the something fill free to PM me. We can discuss it. There is also a report button. Fill free to use it. This post is off topic should I give you an infraction? We prefer to let people work things out themselves so everyone fills free to post as they wish as long as things don't get out of hand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb