Official: Nokia Lumia 900 not getting Windows Phone 8

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Honestly this is why I paid Craigslist price for the lumia 900 and not use my upgrade.

How much was it?

I'm excited, I got the 900 for free, I'll give it to my son who will be THRILLED to get out of his iPhone 3, I will use his upgrade for my new phone. All is good. I've been doing that for years with palms, pocket PC's and phones. The kids and wife always got the hand me downs and dad gets the newest latest greatest. ;)

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
You people are panicking. It's not like the Lumia 900 will suddenly not get any more applications and games.

Devs won't simply abandon the userbase that already exists, they will create versions for Windows Phone 7.8 and Windows Phone 8. The only games and apps that won't come to Windows Phone 7.8 are those that require the new hardware, which was expected anyway.

You will still get new apps, new games, and features from Windows Phone 8.

It's like Apple, they launch a new iOS version, but the older devices don't have acess to all the new funcionality. The difference here is that Apple maintains the version name, and Microsoft opted to clearly distinguish both.

In the end, this is bad for marketing, but for existing users, it's the expected update. Don't worry, it's not like you suddenly have an expensive paperweight.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Thing I dont get it, why are people so tied to their contracts? Is this the first time you've bought a phone and something better comes along? Dont understand it, I'll be selling my Lumia or keeping it as a spare and getting a WP8 device. Apart from being able to backup to my new device, I dont have any problems with continuing to use my 900 till WP8 devices hit.

Wokia

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I really don't mind at all. I would have been buying a new phone regardless (my update cycle is around 6 months anyway).
At the same time I can understand people being angry about this.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
How much was it?

I'm excited, I got the 900 for free, I'll give it to my son who will be THRILLED to get out of his iPhone 3, I will use his upgrade for my new phone. All is good. I've been doing that for years with palms, pocket PC's and phones. The kids and wife always got the hand me downs and dad gets the newest latest greatest. ;)

I got it for $280 4 weeks after the Lumia 900 launched. Pretty good deal at the time (and still a good deal).

I had originally paid full price $450 plus taxes for it at launched and returned it 2 weeks later. Paid the $35 restocking fee cause the camera was driving me crazy. But when the deal on craigslist came along for $280 I jumped on it.

So my intent all along was not to use/waste my upgrade on the Lumia 900. Like others said, many people were skeptical about the upgrade path for Windows 8 phones. Microsoft looks like they will just "skin the Windows 7.5 phones" to make it look like Windows 8.

But the core engine won't be the same as Windows 8.

It's still a great phone. I use it 2-3 days out of the week as "part of my rotation of phones"

So I have other phones including the Gnex/iPhone 4S at my disposable.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I really don't mind at all. I would have been buying a new phone regardless (my update cycle is around 6 months anyway).
At the same time I can understand people being angry about this.

Are you in the USA? Cause people in the USA with ATT cannot get upgrades for at least 18-21 months after their last full subsidy upgrade..

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I can't wait to comeback I hope the next lumia has that camera fixed. I will be updating my current lumia that's on vacation while I enjoy this HTC one x but I can't wait to get back

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
All you guys screaming bloody murder are hilarious! How could your phone possibly be able to upgrade to WP8? Would an NFC cheap magically appear in your phone perhaps? Seriously I love my Lumia 900 as it is a good solid phone. If your going to spaz out over not getting updates, then dont buy any piece of technology because there is always the next big thing right around the corner.

Did some of you even look at what 7.8 has to offer?

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Heck yeah I'm buying a new windows phone. You don't see apple fans crying how long they have on their contract. They support their phone company. Plus I think MS will have deals.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Are you in the USA? Cause people in the USA with ATT cannot get upgrades for at least 18-21 months after their last full subsidy upgrade..

Why not? The average user is the one who sticks with his contract and is also the one who probably knows nothing of updates. People who are on forums like this are typically the ones who would buy a phone unlocked or be savvy enough to sell their old phone to finance an upgrade.

Nothing stops anyone from getting an upgrade, you just have to pay for it.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Ugh - another whiner. Sell your 900 now on Ebay then and go buy an Android phone or something.

Yep.

Sell your phone and GTFO.

No one wants to hear it.

The whining is quickly turning this forum into crap.

I'm seriously thinking about just leaving the forum for 2 months or so because all it's going to be is 10 pages of garbage like this and nothing worth reading.

bender123

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Will any of you ever buy a Windows phone again? This is pathetic on Nokia and Micosoft's part. Flagship phone my a....

No Windows Phone 8 upgrade for current devices - CNET Mobile
I, for one will not. The 4 others I work with who also bough the lumia all state they will not either. This is not how you treat customers ms. When the new iPhone comes out, I will pay the price to upgrade to that. I bought the phone thinking it would be upgradable to windows 8. Never thought they'd be dumb enough to deny the upgrade to this new a phone. I stand corrected.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
When the iPhone 4S was released and the iPhone 4 that was sold the day before didn't run Siri, I don't recall iPhone 4 owners rioting in the streets.

Current generation devices are getting all the features that current generation hardware can support. Microsoft should have just called the current generation software update Apollo 8.0 and the next generation version Apollo 8.1 and everyone would be happy to have gotten "Apollo". It's just semantics.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Why not? The average user is the one who sticks with his contract and is also the one who probably knows nothing of updates. People who are on forums like this are typically the ones who would buy a phone unlocked or be savvy enough to sell their old phone to finance an upgrade.

Nothing stops anyone from getting an upgrade, you just have to pay for it.

Please clarify.
Upgrade price for Lumia $99 or less

Not eligible for upgrade: $450 plus taxes or eBay/Craigslist.

Maybe u and I have different definitions what an upgrade is?

Upgrade in cell phone world means subsidy upgrade.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? This is your reaction when your less than 2 month old device is already EOL and you are locked into a contract for 22 more months? I hate fanbois....be it Apple, Android or WP. Are you not allowed to complain when the phone that both Nokia/MS/AT&T touted as the best thing since sliced bread has already become obsolete? Come on man..

You are allowed to moan but expect some moans as a reaction to your opinion. It is not EOL'd as it is seeing another update. This is the bottom line, point blank period: If you joined WP for the insinuation that any device you own will see every update is the wrong reason. Any phone you buy should be for the EXPERIENCE, not about entitlement.

Does this suck? Yes. I just signed a contract and now I have a device that will not see the FULL experience. But guess what? I'm seeing an update, period. You nor any other analyst knows what 7.8 will FULLY bring. You just hear the words "won't see full capabilities" and get upset, which is fine. Get upset. But you mean to tell me you didn't hear any information about new WP8 devices coming out this year? Yes the rumors stated that all devices will see it, but that's what they were: rumors, not guaranteed.

At any rate, the overall userbase of Wp7 has seen better updates than its competitor Android. There are several newly released devices still coming out to this day on 2.3 that are being promised to see 4.0 and who knows when that'll be. And with Jelly Bean around the corner for this year, how much do you want to bet that a lot of the big devices like Razr and what not will not even see that update officially? Yes, Android is notoriously known for being able to get around these functions, but the general user does not know that and it can be risky for those that don't know what they're doing. The only advantages that are known right now to compare is that most older Android devices can use almost any app (and even that's not entirely true), but there still isn't official word about what apps will and will not work. Yes WP8 apps won't work on WP7 BUT what if the developer creates a 7.8 version?

My advice: Breathe. If you are that adamant about leaving then by all means. Personally, I'm waiting to get the full information about what my device is capable of VERSUS going in a blind rage even with buying a new device knowing that WP8 was coming. Why? Because in general, I love the WP experience. All updates have created better ones than before so I don't see why I wouldn't be pleased with 7.8. But that's just me

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
When the iPhone 4S was released and the iPhone 4 that was sold the day before didn't run Siri, I don't recall iPhone 4 owners rioting in the streets.

Current generation devices are getting all the features that current generation hardware can support. Microsoft should have just called the current generation software update Apollo 8.0 and the next generation version Apollo 8.1 and everyone would be happy to have gotten "Apollo". It's just semantics.

Yeah they did. Only thing is, the major tech blogs weren't patronizing the user base about it at the time versus what they are doing now.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? This is your reaction when your less than 2 month old device is already EOL and you are locked into a contract for 22 more months? I hate fanbois....be it Apple, Android or WP. Are you not allowed to complain when the phone that both Nokia/MS/AT&T touted as the best thing since sliced bread has already become obsolete? Come on man..

It's not EOL, EOL means won't be produced/sold anymore. As far as I can tell, they're not pulling Lumias off shelves tomorrow, and support certainly isn't leaving anytime soon.

And secondly, by the time WP8 devices are out, the Lumia will be a 6 month old device, and people will have 16 months left on their contract. Everyone needs to stop saying it's obsolete after two months. The phone is still usable. Even so, WP8 isn't even out yet. How can an operating system that isn't available to the public make your phone "obsolete" now?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb