Official: Nokia Lumia 900 not getting Windows Phone 8

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Are new Gingerbread Android users screaming about being obsolete even though they more than likely won't even see Jellybean?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to be negative, but this is the dumbest post I have ever read. Honestly, if the Lumia 900 was released tomorrow, I would still buy it. Its a great phone. Best I have ever owned. Will I be getting hardware specific features added to my phone in September (my guess). Of course I won't, because that's not possible unless my name is Harry Potter.

New phones in the US probably won't see the light of day till November. That six months the from now. And if history is any indicator, there will be another batch of phones mid cycle in February-March. That's when I may get the WP8 itch. Bought my Surround off contract on November 2010. Will probably buy my first WP8 the same way. No big deal.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Please clarify.
Upgrade price for Lumia $99 or less

Not eligible for upgrade: $450 plus taxes or eBay/Craigslist.

Maybe u and I have different definitions what an upgrade is?

Upgrade in cell phone world means subsidy upgrade.

An upgrade to me means upgrading to a new phone, subsidy or no. Or buy it outright. Nothing stopping you.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I've NEVER played into this "upgrade" game with ANY of my phones. If I moved on from a phone, it's because I was either bored of it or because it didn't meet my demands which did not include a proper upgrade timeline. I've tried Android twice knowing about their upgrade waiting game, but wanted the experience of having an "open" OS. Had iOS cause I wanted something more fluid but wasn't worried about the new updates. Never understood anyone that will buy into an OS for updates. You'll lose everytime. You find an OS you like, research to find out if a MAJOR rehaul is around the corner, and THEN make your decision

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Are new Gingerbread phones coming out, claiming to be high end and have balsy campaign stating that every other phone is a beta test? Lumia owners have every right to be angry. How can you guys not understand that?

shamelin73

May 20, 2012
Visit site
I have had mine for just about 30 days. I am very upset as I know Nokia had to know this was going to happen. I am not mad at AT&T however I am going to take this phone back and complain. AT&T said this was the new flagship phone but now it is Legacy. This is a slap to the face from MS.

I hope I can undo my upgrade and wait for the true WP8

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Godspeed my friend. But true wp8 phones comes out later this year, how are you going to upgrade? My as well just keep the lumia.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Are new Gingerbread phones coming out, claiming to be high end and have balsy campaign stating that every other phone is a beta test? Lumia owners have every right to be angry. How can you guys not understand that?

PLEASE. A marketing scheme that did not allude anything close to their updating plan is not a defense to use. That's all it was: a marketing scheme.

And do you really want me to answer that question, how Samsung and HTC and others have not taken shots with their past Gingerbread devices at Apple to try and make sales but the update timeline was horrible? Do you not understand that this isn't new? Do you NOT accept the fact that Lumia owners ARE getting an update from a device that is 2 years into an Operating System that is revamping it's base Hardware and Software specs which Apple has YET to do and Android doesn't care if you do or don't?

I'm really so tired of you. Ignore, not just about how dense you act, but for you making me despise Tails

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
We don't know all of the features that will or won't be part of 7.8 yet. Why is everyone complaining already? Some of the features of WP8 will be specific to NFC, require a dual core processor, or make use of the shared code with Windows 8 that wouldn't otherwise be possible on current phones. I'm sure the things that *are* possible to put on current hardware *will be* in the 7.8 upgrade. I really don't understand why people are complaining about this... Do they expect their hardware to become magically better in order to properly run these higher-end WP8 features?

I bought my Lumia 900 two months ago tomorrow. I am not suddenly dissatisfied with my phone now that I hear about this news, and I won't be unless we discover that we're not given features in the 7.8 update that the Lumia 900 should be able to run.

As has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, MS should've just called the 7.8 update WP8 Lite. We should be given the features that are possible to run on current hardware, not those that aren't possible, and that seems to me like common sense.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I have had mine for just about 30 days.

Curious; where you aware of Windows Phone 8's arrival in October and the likelihood of single core, lower-spec'd devices (such as the L900) not being fully upgraded? People have been saying for months that the likely scenario will be current devices will receive a subset of Wp8; 7.8.

I nearly bought a L900, but opted to wait it out with my old and tired HD7. Trust me, I'd happily take on a L900 (at the right price) until the second phase Wp8 devices are released around March next year. I'm still considering it now and secretly hope people like yourself will drive the price tag down. Ebay is my friend. :)

I am very upset as I know Nokia had to know this was going to happen. I am not mad at AT&T however I am going to take this phone back and complain. AT&T said this was the new flagship phone but now it is Legacy. This is a slap to the face from MS.

First of all - MS gave us a glimpse into the future. Not the present; the L900 is still one of the best Windows Phone out there. Further more, it will be updated to Wp7.8 and Nokia have stated they intend to continue further updates for the current Lumia models.

I can understand some of the 'frustration' people are having - to an extent. But. Honestly? The platform is moving forward and that means current devices can't magically change their specs.

If you want to be angry. Direct it towards the sales rep who didn't inform you about Wp8 (and what that means to current WPs). And, if you already knew about the scenario... well, shame on you if you're throwing your toys/Lumias out of the pram.

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have had mine for just about 30 days. I am very upset as I know Nokia had to know this was going to happen. I am not mad at AT&T however I am going to take this phone back and complain. AT&T said this was the new flagship phone but now it is Legacy. This is a slap to the face from MS.

Oh really? Since this is a legacy device what Windows Phone 8 device is better than the Lumia 900? Is it the HTC Vapor, Nokia 1000, Samsung Super Focus??? Seriously people you bought a piece of technology and just like a computer/graphics card/TV/whatever it will be outdated in probably less than a year.

For those of you who are just in dismay, please tell me what features will you truly miss out on? I for one wouldn't even be able to use NFC because my only financial institution is a credit union with no WP app. The most graphics intensive game i play is Civilization followe dby things like Wordament, Spell It, Wheel of Wealth etc. What I do use faithfully are my email apps, Office, and Zune, and Netflix.

So if by some stroke of magic when Windows 7.8 comes around if I could my Credit Union to come out with an app, Uber to come out with app and HBOGo to bring their app to Windows phone my Lumia 900 would be even more amazing! As a developer myself I still have to make sur emy applications run on XP because its still the most widely used OS by my clients so dont think app development will end there are hundreds of thousands of gen 1 and 2 devices out there versus 0 Gen 3.

So again, I ask, for those so enraged please tell us all the things you wont be able to do that will truly effect you?

leosoybean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Oh really? Since this is a legacy device what Windows Phone 8 device is better than the Lumia 900? Is it the HTC Vapor, Nokia 1000, Samsung Super Focus??? Seriously people you bought a piece of technology and just like a computer/graphics card/TV/whatever it will be outdated in probably less than a year.

For those of you who are just in dismay, please tell me what features will you truly miss out on? I for one wouldn't even be able to use NFC because my only financial institution is a credit union with no WP app. The most graphics intensive game i play is Civilization followe dby things like Wordament, Spell It, Wheel of Wealth etc. What I do use faithfully are my email apps, Office, and Zune, and Netflix.

So if by some stroke of magic when Windows 7.8 comes around if I could my Credit Union to come out with an app, Uber to come out with app and HBOGo to bring their app to Windows phone my Lumia 900 would be even more amazing! As a developer myself I still have to make sur emy applications run on XP because its still the most widely used OS by my clients so dont think app development will end there are hundreds of thousands of gen 1 and 2 devices out there versus 0 Gen 3.

So again, I ask, for those so enraged please tell us all the things you wont be able to do that will truly effect you?

True multi-tasking would have been lovely. I could be wrong but i think that is WP8 only.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

Too many assumptions. When iOS4 was released. Those stuck on iOS3 (iphone 2007) could not download basic kiddie games (required little graphics power) cause those games required iOS4. Developers just abandon the old iOS.

Same thing with Android 4.0. Those stuck on 2.3 Gingerbread cannot download Chrome for Android. That browser is awesome.

There is no guarantee apps like Pandora, HBO to go, WatchEspn (the real espn streaming app) will be compatible with Windows 7.8.

And that's why people are upset.

If app is made exclusively for Windows 8, than windows 7/7.5 will be left out in the cold like the above mentioned apps for iPhone and Android I mentioned.

thebizz

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
WP7.8 is THE EXACT SAME THING as WP8 minus features specifically made for new hardware. Apps written SPECIFICALLY made for these new hardware features (dual-core, nfc for example) won't be able to run on the Lumia 900.

Now, people are so quick to dismiss any new development. Would you want to use an app developed around NFC if you don't have the chip in your phone? I didn't think so. Would you want to run a game needing a dual core on your Lumia 900 and get a laggy and choppy experience? I didn't think so.

Get real people.

Funny you say that because 7.8 is just 7.5 with a new launcher Windows phone 8 is totally different it contains a different kernel.the reason I didn't buy a lumia 900 was because I was not sursurvive if it would if it would get the next update.looks like I made a good choice

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Too many assumptions. When iOS4 was released. Those stuck on iOS3 (iphone 2007) could not download basic kiddie games (required little graphics power) cause those games required iOS4. Developers just abandon the old iOS.

Same thing with Android 4.0. Those stuck on 2.3 Gingerbread cannot download Chrome for Android. That browser is awesome.

There is no guarantee apps like Pandora, HBO to go, WatchEspn (the real espn streaming app) will be compatible with Windows 7.8.

And that's why people are upset.

If app is made exclusively for Windows 8, than windows 7/7.5 will be left out in the cold like the above mentioned apps for iPhone and Android I mentioned.

I find it so ironic how Lumia owners, who were BRAGGING about all the exclusive apps they got on their phones, are now the biggest COMPLAINERS about apps not coming to their phone.

I'm starting to see a trend among some Lumia owners - I see NO complaints from the Focus or Quantum or Venue Pro people.

Sridhar V

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody know if the sharing of native APIs etc, where WP8 and Win8 will be kinda seamless in nature, coming to WP7.8? The reason I am asking is bcos there is a lot of traction in the Win8 marketplace and if porting those to WP8 is easy then there may be a lot of great stuff coming down the pike for WP8. If WP7.8 is not on that wagon then........... well anyways lets see what happens..but hopefully we devs will continue to build apps for both platforms/cores (saying cores and apps in a single sentence has a special zing :D)

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone?7.8!

The new Start screen is so useful and emblematic of what Windows Phone is about that we want everybody to enjoy it. So we?ll be delivering it to existing phones as a software update sometime after Window Phone 8 is released. Let me repeat: If you currently own a Windows Phone 7.5 handset, Microsoft is planning to release an update with the new Windows Phone 8 Start screen. We?re calling it ?Windows Phone 7.8.?

Time frame of this update...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb