Official: Nokia Lumia 900 not getting Windows Phone 8

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Too many assumptions. When iOS4 was released. Those stuck on iOS3 (iphone 2007) could not download basic kiddie games (required little graphics power) cause those games required iOS4. Developers just abandon the old iOS.

Same thing with Android 4.0. Those stuck on 2.3 Gingerbread cannot download Chrome for Android. That browser is awesome.

There is no guarantee apps like Pandora, HBO to go, WatchEspn (the real espn streaming app) will be compatible with Windows 7.8.

And that's why people are upset.

If app is made exclusively for Windows 8, than windows 7/7.5 will be left out in the cold like the above mentioned apps for iPhone and Android I mentioned.

True enough those are assumptions I made. But its based on the fact that we know Windows Phones are NOT selling like iPhones (or hotcakes!). The best selling device has probably been the nokia line. Since the Nokia line is very new its safe to assume many people are locked in contracts. In fact based on Im a WP7, the Lumia 800 is the top Windows phone (and that doesnt even have a ffc).

Lastly Nokia has done nothing but support their Windows Phone products, they have been responsive, issued quick fixes, released nice exclusive apps and even cash rebates to keep customers happy. Why do you think they would throw away all of the work they put into customer goodwill so quickly? Just like you invested in the Lumia so did they, so they need to continue to do the right thing and I believe they will based on their past actions.

algs26

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, Nokia's financially not in great shape right now. I think they've been moved to junk bond status. They literally can't afford to have people wait for WP8. Sales of (profitable?) symbian phones have dropped precipitously since the announcement of the WP OS realignment.

If Nokia could have built phones with WP8 HW but still running WP7 (unoptimized), then perhaps this could have been avoided. But I'm not sure when the Qualcomm WP8 processor was made available. I assume it's in the same family as the HTC One X and that hasn't been out that long.

How fast will developers drop WP7 compatibility is what I'm wondering. Surely they're not going to ignore the installed user base until WP8 numbers has crossed some kind of critical mass.

RIM must be in the same position with BB10.

Last edited:

anon(5316299)

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
What true multi-tasking? All I saw was them adding support for background VoIP and background navigation.

Yeah, but those are big. I really miss Skype in the background and having nav in the background while I make a phone call. Hoped WP8 would fix that for me...but it won't. Using my gnex today because when I'm traveling, Google beats Bing/ Nokia.

Trying to decide if I'll go back to my l900when I get home.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Too many assumptions. When iOS4 was released. Those stuck on iOS3 (iphone 2007) could not download basic kiddie games (required little graphics power) cause those games required iOS4. Developers just abandon the old iOS.

Same thing with Android 4.0. Those stuck on 2.3 Gingerbread cannot download Chrome for Android. That browser is awesome.

There is no guarantee apps like Pandora, HBO to go, WatchEspn (the real espn streaming app) will be compatible with Windows 7.8.

And that's why people are upset.

If app is made exclusively for Windows 8, than windows 7/7.5 will be left out in the cold like the above mentioned apps for iPhone and Android I mentioned.

amen brother. These people just don't see it. They either use something else from years ago, didn't pay for the phone 2 months ago (Titan II and Lumia) or just living in their own world believing what Nokia is saying.

Half of the members on this forum don't realize if Nokia and Microsoft had let the consumer know that they are leaving the platforms and dropping hardware support for the current gen, it could save many of us money in the long run. When people start complaining that their favorite app or the cool new app doesn't support WP7.8, Nokia could just come out and say "but we gave you the camera app, music app, and some maps"

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I find it so ironic how Lumia owners, who were BRAGGING about all the exclusive apps they got on their phones, are now the biggest COMPLAINERS about apps not coming to their phone.

I'm starting to see a trend among some Lumia owners - I see NO complaints from the Focus or Quantum or Venue Pro people.

Can you stop trolling and stop spreading rumor already? haha.

Who bragged about it? Please provide source. You assumed too many things based on no facts just like your any other thread.

kallemia

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm starting to see a trend among some Lumia owners - I see NO complaints from the Focus or Quantum or Venue Pro people.

Duh. Those are older phones. Those of us who recently (but not recently enough to return) upgraded to the Lumia 900 have reason to complain.

jwcdis

May 9, 2012
Visit site
just saying....
Nexus S (1 GHz Arm single core) will be upgraded to Android Jellybean.

Kind of amazing to see how a old piece of hardware is so capable and L900 isn't.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
just saying....
Nexus S (1 GHz Arm single core) will be upgraded to Android Jellybean.

Kind of amazing to see how a old piece of hardware is so capable and L900 isn't.

Exactly. That nexus s processor is the exact same processor as the original Galaxy S released in Spring 2010 and 99% similar to iPhone 4 released in June 2010.

There is no reason why 2 year old hardware cannot run on Windows 8 mobile except financial reasons.

Funny hown Samsung won't support Galaxy S (carrier branded) won't support ice cream sandwich while the Nexus S can. All purely financially reasons and fact they won't get rid of their touchwiz to make it work on android 4.0.

itsall4tay

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who really wants WP8 on their Lumia 900 will be able to have it. It may take a little work, but you will be able to have it. Stop worrying. They are just trying to build the platform by selling new phones to the less tech savy. Love the one you're with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes