06-29-2012 02:28 PM
74 123
tools
    Will any of you ever buy a Windows phone again? This is pathetic on Nokia and Micosoft's part. Flagship phone my a....

No Windows Phone 8 upgrade for current devices - CNET Mobile
    Bartdog likes this.
    06-20-2012 12:59 PM
    Ugh - another whiner. Sell your 900 now on Ebay then and go buy an Android phone or something.
    06-20-2012 01:02 PM
    I'm not too happy with M$. But I don't see how you can draw a parallel with Nokia.
    06-20-2012 01:05 PM
    Ugh - another whiner. Sell your 900 now on Ebay then and go buy an Android phone or something.
    Seriously? This is your reaction when your less than 2 month old device is already EOL and you are locked into a contract for 22 more months? I hate fanbois....be it Apple, Android or WP. Are you not allowed to complain when the phone that both Nokia/MS/AT&T touted as the best thing since sliced bread has already become obsolete? Come on man..
    Bartdog likes this.
    06-20-2012 01:09 PM
    I don't know WP 7.8 sounds like it will suffice fine until you can get a new device I am not bitter at all. Disappointed a little but I am not shocked at least they are doing something unlike some companies where you may never get an update again

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    nokia4life likes this.
    06-20-2012 01:11 PM
    WP7.8 is THE EXACT SAME THING as WP8 minus features specifically made for new hardware. Apps written SPECIFICALLY made for these new hardware features (dual-core, nfc for example) won't be able to run on the Lumia 900.

Now, people are so quick to dismiss any new development. Would you want to use an app developed around NFC if you don't have the chip in your phone? I didn't think so. Would you want to run a game needing a dual core on your Lumia 900 and get a laggy and choppy experience? I didn't think so.

Get real people.
    LordGreylock likes this.
    06-20-2012 01:14 PM
    I think the frustration really is about coming to the end of the software upgrade path so quickly.

Of course we expected hardware upgrades in the newer Windows phone. Things like NFC. But Windows 7.8 is going to be pleasant for only a few months. Then, we will be far, far behind.

I don't remember exactly, but I think even Apple continues limited support for their old phones for a least 2-3 iOS upgrades.
    06-20-2012 01:17 PM
    Honestly this is why I paid Craigslist price for the lumia 900 and not use my upgrade.

There is too much uncertainties when it launched about the upgrade path.

To have a phone launched in April 2012 with 7.5. and not upgrade to 8 looks very bad when Microsoft and Nokia are trying establish windows phone.
    Bartdog likes this.
    06-20-2012 01:20 PM
    Honestly this is why I paid Craigslist price for the lumia 900 and not use my upgrade.
    That's EXACTLY right - EVERYONE on this forum knew that current WP7 devices might not get WP8. EVERYONE. It was never a secret. BEFORE the Lumia launched, there were tons of people on here asking "will it get updated?". Nobody knew.

If you were that concerned about the update, you would've waited. And if you're that upset, you can still sell your Lumia and buy off contract when WP8 hits. You made a decision to upgrade to the Lumia, and you knew the risk, and that's the way it is. If you abandon Microsoft because of this, ok, good luck getting Android updates. And if you were an Apple fan, you probably wouldn't be here in the first place.
    nokia4life likes this.
    06-20-2012 01:26 PM
    Seriously? This is your reaction when your less than 2 month old device is already EOL and you are locked into a contract for 22 more months? I hate fanbois....be it Apple, Android or WP. Are you not allowed to complain when the phone that both Nokia/MS/AT&T touted as the best thing since sliced bread has already become obsolete? Come on man..
    Obsolete?

It's still a damn fine phone with a damn fine OS.

Most people buy something based on what it currently is, as opposed to what it might be.

There will be updates for coming to add new features. But what you currently have is a good phone.
    vp710 likes this.
    06-20-2012 01:28 PM
    I really don't understand those people whining about receiving an update to Windows Phone 7.8. It really doesn't get any better than that. Your hardware is limited. Should MS and the WP team not move this platform forward for the fear of upsetting those with limited devices?!
    06-20-2012 01:29 PM
    I think the frustration really is about coming to the end of the software upgrade path so quickly.

Of course we expected hardware upgrades in the newer Windows phone. Things like NFC. But Windows 7.8 is going to be pleasant for only a few months. Then, we will be far, far behind.

I don't remember exactly, but I think even Apple continues limited support for their old phones for a least 2-3 iOS upgrades.
    But you're not at the end of an upgrade path. It just won't be the exact same path as future devices that have yet to even be released.
    06-20-2012 01:30 PM
    At least Draw Something and Words with Friends are coming....
    Bartdog likes this.
    06-20-2012 01:32 PM
    But you're not at the end of an upgrade path. It just won't be the exact same path as future devices that have yet to even be released.
    Hmm. I suppose it would be nice if we did get a WP 7.9 as well, down the line, with even more software upgrades. I suppose that is a possibility!
    06-20-2012 01:34 PM
    Think of it this way. Compared to me, you're all lucky because I have an HTC titan with a jacked up USB port. So I can't even upgrade to 7.8!!
    06-20-2012 01:44 PM
    Are you really surprised that your old hardware can't magically support new hardware features? I mean, did you seriously believe the hardware on Windows Phone was never going to get better? Maybe you would be happier with those massive upgrades in iOS6... You're still getting a great software update which is all you can ask for on old hardware.
    06-20-2012 01:49 PM
    Anyone got a link to a list of what's actually in WP7.8? So far all I've heard is "different-sized tiles".

Only with that list can we really tell whether 7.8 is actually a significant upgrade... or just fluff that they hope keeps the existing user base happy.
    06-20-2012 01:49 PM
    Anyone got a link to a list of what's actually in WP7.8? So far all I've heard is "different-sized tiles".

Only with that list can we really tell whether 7.8 is actually a significant upgrade... or just fluff that they hope keeps the existing user base happy.
    New home screen and continued app support (aside from dual core created apps). Advanced speech capabilities (coming in a few weeks). New Nokia camera apps, also coming soon.
    06-20-2012 01:51 PM
    You can't expect MSFT to enlist end user features in dev summit!!!! There will be features. Let MSFT keep cards close to its heart. Else Apple is waiting to steal it like Mango features. Also, Nokia Lumia 900 IS CURRENT FLAGSHIP phone and they advertised it so. It is sexiest non living thing on earth. They never said it will be the sexiest flagship phone even after 1 month of its launch. Till WP8 phones aren't in our hands, Lumia 900 WILL BE THE FLAGSHIP phone. This means till Dec 2012!!!

Sent from my Titan using Board Express
    06-20-2012 01:56 PM
    Are you really surprised that your old hardware can't magically support new hardware features? I mean, did you seriously believe the hardware on Windows Phone was never going to get better? Maybe you would be happier with those massive upgrades in iOS6... You're still getting a great software update which is all you can ask for on old hardware.
    That's the thing though. The hardware is barely 3 months old.
    Bartdog likes this.
    06-20-2012 01:57 PM
    How much was it?

I'm excited, I got the 900 for free, I'll give it to my son who will be THRILLED to get out of his iPhone 3, I will use his upgrade for my new phone. All is good. I've been doing that for years with palms, pocket PC's and phones. The kids and wife always got the hand me downs and dad gets the newest latest greatest. ;)
    06-20-2012 01:58 PM
    That's the thing though. The hardware is barely 3 months old.
    The hardware was old when you bought it.
    06-20-2012 02:06 PM
    You people are panicking. It's not like the Lumia 900 will suddenly not get any more applications and games.

Devs won't simply abandon the userbase that already exists, they will create versions for Windows Phone 7.8 and Windows Phone 8. The only games and apps that won't come to Windows Phone 7.8 are those that require the new hardware, which was expected anyway.

You will still get new apps, new games, and features from Windows Phone 8.

It's like Apple, they launch a new iOS version, but the older devices don't have acess to all the new funcionality. The difference here is that Apple maintains the version name, and Microsoft opted to clearly distinguish both.

In the end, this is bad for marketing, but for existing users, it's the expected update. Don't worry, it's not like you suddenly have an expensive paperweight.
    06-20-2012 02:15 PM
    Thing I dont get it, why are people so tied to their contracts? Is this the first time you've bought a phone and something better comes along? Dont understand it, I'll be selling my Lumia or keeping it as a spare and getting a WP8 device. Apart from being able to backup to my new device, I dont have any problems with continuing to use my 900 till WP8 devices hit.
    06-20-2012 02:31 PM
    I really don't mind at all. I would have been buying a new phone regardless (my update cycle is around 6 months anyway).
    At the same time I can understand people being angry about this.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    06-20-2012 02:48 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD