If you're unhappy with your L900...

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree to an extent. If I bought, let's say an Android Gingerbread device, right when it was first released, and never saw an update, I'd agree. It is not Microsoft's fault that Nokia happened after all of their major updates for 7 have came and passed. For consumers that were TRULY worried, it wouldn't have taken long to look on the net to see that WP8 was looming around the corner. When I became an adopter for WP, I bought the HD7 BUT I didn't buy it until Mango was released, and even then it was off contract.

It's not moot because the overall userbase for Android is NOT power users. So basically, it's okay to screw everyone that doesn't know about rooting and flashing and let them buy the latest without seeing one update but it's a problem for Lumia adopters to not get Apollo BUT will get some type of update? I don't agree. And for a lot of phones that aren't unlocked by the OEM's, it's not that easy to just root any Android device.

I agree. Thank God we're getting 7.8 :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it is right to screw users who don't root and flash, but I was strictly talking about people like us who do take advantage when it is available. My mom has an Android phone and a Kindle Fire and she would be lost if it wasn't for me,; so I get more users aren't power users. Most Android devices are rooted eventually, its more about whether custom roms come to them. With my former Android phones and my current Android tablet, I get devices that I know have a following. My first Android phone was the Optimus V. While it was low end from the start, it had one of the biggest dev. followings for quite some time.

Again, WP is by far the best OS (app selection not included). I just wish they thought more about what they do with the 2 newest phones. With all that said, the WP users who don't get on sites like this (aka most users) have no clue which version they have or will have. My mom on her Android is the perfect example. She just wants a phone that works. She doesn't know and could care less which version of Android it contains.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Unless you are desperate. I wouldn't sell the Lumia 900 for anything less than $250 assuming its in great condition.

The GPS chip is top notch. Even without a sim. It locks into satellites in less than 45-60 seconds. And Nokia Maps has downloadable maps. So the Lumia 900 can still function well as a dedicated 4.3 inch GPS device/multi media device/spare phone.

Other phones take forever to lock into gps satellites (Samsung being the worse).

I will in all likelihood keep the Lumia 900 as one of my 2 spare phones. I usually have 3 current smartphones to play around at any one time. Yeah. I like my cell phones.

Going to pick up a S3 in the next 2 months on Craigslist after the hype dies down and always have my iPhone around.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Unless you are desperate. I wouldn't sell the Lumia 900 for anything less than $250 assuming its in great condition.

The GPS chip is top notch. Even without a sim. It locks into satellites in less than 45-60 seconds. And Nokia Maps has downloadable maps. So the Lumia 900 can still function well as a dedicated 4.3 inch GPS device/multi media device/spare phone.

Other phones take forever to lock into gps satellites (Samsung being the worse).

I will in all likelihood keep the Lumia 900 as one of my 2 spare phones. I usually have 3 current smartphones to play around at any one time. Yeah. I like my cell phones.

Going to pick up a S3 in the next 2 months on Craigslist after the hype dies down and always have my iPhone around.

I would jump if someone afford me $300 right now. $250 would be close but hard to do. Problem is that if you sell now, your without a really good WP phone until the fall. If you sell later, you won't get crap money wise. That is one thing I am jealous of when it comes to iPhones. Their resale value is ridiculous!

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Go out and buy an HD2 off eBay. I am sure someone at XDA will have a WP8 ROM ready for it in no time.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
This is why I avoided this forum LOL. While I understand some are pissed off because new devices aren't seeing ALL the features, you're still seeing something. You got to remember, WP7 devices have seen 2-3 significant OS updates. If you are that upset, sell it, buy something to hold you over and save your money for a WP8 device.

I'm not upset that it's not getting WP8 per say. I fully expected it not to get WP8.

It's more than WP7 just isn't doing it for me. Feels like I'm using iOS 3. And I can't go through the rest of the summer like that. Nothing about the hardware is superior to my iPhone 4. The camera, reception, battery, multitasking, apps, and overall enjoyment of the device are far inferior to my two year old iPhone. The video camera can barely focus and lighting is always terrible in any situation.

Apps don't even used saved state so if I exit about 95% of them and go back quickly I have to suffer through complete reloading again; like I did 3 years ago with iOS 3 on my iPhone 3G. That's not MS's fault, it's the developer. But that doesn't bode well for the apps if developers are that lazy to not use all the platforms features to make the experience better for their customers.

I'm not even excited about going back to my iPhone. I have a Galaxy Nexus on the way. Last time I used Android I hated it. But I figure I'll give it one more shot. I'm still bored with the iPhone. But after using it on vacation two weeks ago I realized what I do like about it. It's reliable and works every time. Too many times I've pulled the Lumia out or picked it up and the battery has drained by at least 1/3 for no reason. I just can't trust it.

In the fall I'll be looking for either a new Nokia WP8 device because iOS 6 looks just as boring. Unless the new iPhone is something really amazing which I doubt. WP7 just isn't it for me. I hope WP8 really steps it up.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not upset that it's not getting WP8 per say. I fully expected it not to get WP8.

It's more than WP7 just isn't doing it for me. Feels like I'm using iOS 3. And I can't go through the rest of the summer like that. Nothing about the hardware is superior to my iPhone 4. The camera, reception, battery, multitasking, apps, and overall enjoyment of the device are far inferior to my two year old iPhone. The video camera can barely focus and lighting is always terrible in any situation.

Apps don't even used saved state so if I exit about 95% of them and go back quickly I have to suffer through complete reloading again; like I did 3 years ago with iOS 3 on my iPhone 3G. That's not MS's fault, it's the developer. But that doesn't bode well for the apps if developers are that lazy to not use all the platforms features to make the experience better for their customers.

I'm not even excited about going back to my iPhone. I have a Galaxy Nexus on the way. Last time I used Android I hated it. But I figure I'll give it one more shot. I'm still bored with the iPhone. But after using it on vacation two weeks ago I realized what I do like about it. It's reliable and works every time. Too many times I've pulled the Lumia out or picked it up and the battery has drained by at least 1/3 for no reason. I just can't trust it.

In the fall I'll be looking for either a new Nokia WP8 device because iOS 6 looks just as boring. Unless the new iPhone is something really amazing which I doubt. WP7 just isn't it for me. I hope WP8 really steps it up.

And so it looks like I appreciate all genuine posts, I would agree with this post as well. If it doesn't work for you, find something that does. Trust me I understand. I really was in desperate search of which phone I would "return" to since I've tried it all. Was tired of moving stuff around all the time on my Android, wanted the option for all the accessories iPhone provided but was tired of the OS, and Blackberry wasn't an option. I had to really assess what I wanted in a phone. WP7 was the end decision. I hope WP8 brings you back

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I bought my 900 for $350 on ebay soon after it came out. The big problem is that it is going to be losing its value like CRAZY. I won't be able to sell it for $200 pretty soon. Also, my phone has seen ZERO significant updates, NONE. There is not a soul on this board that would have gotten the 900 or Titan 2 if they were told they wouldn't be getting even a lite version of WP8.

I pray that Microsoft/Nokia does some type of program that allows 900 users to trade in phones for a decent amount of money.

1) You mean a piece of ELECTRONICS is going to lose resale value? Yeah - that happens with every device ever made. Unless you have an Apple product, all electronics lose value like crazy. Same as a new car. The second you drive it off the lot it loses thousands in resale value. That's how the world works, dude.

You bought your 900 off contract for $350. If you were smart you would've read the reports that the 900 *might* not get the update to WP 8 and would've spent $100 on a great condition gen 1 Focus instead. Your fault. Not Microsoft's.

2) The whole "there is not a soul on this board that would've gotten the 900 or Titan 2" blah blah bullcrap. Thanks for speaking for everyone. If anyone on THIS BOARD got a 900 EXPECTING any kind of WP 8 update, its their fault. As early as FEBRUARY, before the 900 was even ANNOUNCED, there were rumors and reports that Microsoft was showing hardware partners a video stating current WP7 devices won't get the full update. Maybe you're the kind of person who doesn't do research before dropping $350 on a piece of electronics. Most of us knew the risk and waited.

3) I agree with you that it would be gracious on MS and Nokia's part to offer some type of trade in credit for the 900. Its not NECESSARY, but would help them establish brand loyalty. We'll see. But they ARE giving you a ton of exclusive apps that YOU DIDN'T PAY EXTRA FOR and at least one more update. Think about how a Titan 2 owner feels - no cool Nokia exclusive apps PLUS no update.

You should put your Lumia on Ebay today. They're going for around $250 in good condition. Better to get $200 + out of it TODAY then $150 or $100 in 6 months. Buy yourself a cheap HTC Surround or something to get through, and save up for October when the devices launch.

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
2) The whole "there is not a soul on this board that would've gotten the 900 or Titan 2" blah blah bullcrap. Thanks for speaking for everyone. If anyone on THIS BOARD got a 900 EXPECTING any kind of WP 8 update, its their fault. As early as FEBRUARY, before the 900 was even ANNOUNCED, there were rumors and reports that Microsoft was showing hardware partners a video stating current WP7 devices won't get the full update. Maybe you're the kind of person who doesn't do research before dropping $350 on a piece of electronics. Most of us knew the risk and waited.

I would like to know where the video is? Please don't just spread the rumor. I follow WP news rigorously, there was never a report saying Microsoft denying or hinting the upgradability of WP8, so many of us shopper who actually did research had to bet on WP's future.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I would like to know where the video is? Please don't just spread the rumor. I follow WP news rigorously, there was never a report saying Microsoft denying or hinting the upgradability of WP8, so many of us shopper who actually did research had to bet on WP's future.

Yeah, you follow WP news rigorously :

Exclusive: Windows Phone 8 Detailed | Pocketnow

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-phone-8-preview-142154

It was ALL OVER THE WEB in February. Sorry you missed it and feel you got screwed.

You're right that MS never hinted either way - you lost out on a coin flip, basically. If MS had said "yes the Lumia is getting Windows Phone 8", then you'd have a right to be pissed. As is, you took a chance and lost. Sucks for you. If you remember, though, when these rumors dropped in Feb, people on this very website, including Dan Rubino, were warning that there may not be an upgrade path due to the kernel change.

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, you follow WP news rigorously :

Exclusive: Windows Phone 8 Detailed | Pocketnow

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-phone-8-preview-142154

It was ALL OVER THE WEB in February. Sorry you missed it and feel you got screwed.

You're right that MS never hinted either way - you lost out on a coin flip, basically. If MS had said "yes the Lumia is getting Windows Phone 8", then you'd have a right to be pissed. As is, you took a chance and lost. Sucks for you. If you remember, though, when these rumors dropped in Feb, people on this very website, including Dan Rubino, were warning that there may not be an upgrade path due to the kernel change.

Did you read it? I came across them before and I read it again just now, the closest thing they mentioned is the change from CE kernel to NT Kernel. Now maybe it's to save the OS space for the future OS hardware support, but they could easily include the machine code and driver for the single core qualicomm CPU if they wanted to.

Did i lose the bet? I did. But why should I have to bet on it at the first place for my hard earn cash? Isn't that consider inside trading or some sort? Why are they are not disclosing the information consumer/shopper needed to know before making their purchase decision? In anyway I stand correct that there was never ever a technical proof or official word that could help my buying decision.

Palm and RIM had the guts to tell consumers that they were changing platforms (bad practice for company, right), Microsoft is just straight up evil. I don't know if you got your Lumia 900 for free or purchased it w/ or w/o contract. If you had to shell out the money or sign the contract, you are a victim, too.

Budule

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I would love to unload mine but not sure how......do i have to take it back to AT & t to get it unlocked or wiped clean?......does that break my contract?.....i didnt read any of that , i just signed it.....i did buy the insurance though and im pretty clumsey, if something "happens" to this phone, do i have to get the same one?......i have to do something as i cant be reminded of my stupidity every time the phone rings for the next 697 days......

tcool999

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
tethering for nokia Lumia 900 using Straight talk.

anybody in here using straight talk on the nokia lumia 900 and able to use the tethering(internet sharing)?? If you do please help me

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Well I just unloaded my lumia 900 this afternoon for $220 on Craigslist. I had it listed for $260 which i thought was a fair deal on Wednesday (right after announcement).

Seems like all the Craigslist guys who were looking to buy knew right away. Some buyers are very tech savvy. All of them knew the announcement about the windows 8 upgrade not being available.

So got offers of $200 for past 3 days. $220 was best offer and I took it. Like the other poster said. eBay prices are dropping to the mid to high $200s also.

I go through cell phones (5-6 a year). So 2 months and I am out.

I do like windows 7 a lot. Can't wait for windows 8. As of know I am back to iPhone 4s.
Got my eye on an international one x for $380 and an AT&T one x for $350. Those are dropping also in prices.

Unless its an iPhone. Both android and windows phones drop in value quickly after their releases. If you are patient and are a phone junkie like me. It's always best to wait 2-3 months after the release dates. I got my lumia 900 for $280 on craiglist at the beginning of May (I had originally brought it full price at $450 launch but returned it). So still got $100 credit. So minus the $100 AT&T credit and including my $35 restocking fee.

I am lucky not to lose any money on the lumia 900. It's all a game with electronics with me. I'll be back with windows 8 phones. I carry two phones with me anyways the past 5 years.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The big problem is that it is going to be losing its value like CRAZY. I won't be able to sell it for $200 pretty soon.

No cell phone holds its value, other than an iPhone. These electronics which inevitably become outdated. Not an investment.

Also, my phone has seen ZERO significant updates, NONE.

What are you talking about? Nokia released an update to fix the data issue within 2 weeks of launching the Lumia. I received one other update since then and now my phone is prompting me for a third update. The Tango update is coming and then 7.8 after that.

How long has this phone been out again? How many updates would you expect in less than a year???? :straight:

There is not a soul on this board that would have gotten the 900 or Titan 2 if they were told they wouldn't be getting even a lite version of WP8.

I can only speak for myself, but I had an Android phone I hated and I dealt with it for 5 months because I wasn't really happy with any of the Windows Phones available at the time, but I loved Windows Phone 7.5. Still do. So once the Lumia 900 was announced, I finally had all the pieces in place. The OS I loved and a phone I loved to run it on. Unlike some people here, I didn't stop liking my phone suddenly when I found out in wouldn't be upgradable to WP8. I always knew that was a risk and besides that, major OS updates on phones are often accompanied with problems even when you can do them. Every single person I know who updated an older iPhone to a newer OS has either lost data or had performance issues or both.

I never purchased this phone with the expectation of making a major OS update to it. I don't keep phones long enough to make that worth it. Most people don't. By the time a two year contract is up, there's not only a major OS update, there are also much better, much faster phones to run it on. I will never understand why this is such an issue for some of you guys. Are you keeping your phone for 4 years? I'm not. By the time I'm ready for a new phone, the kinks will be well worked out of WP8 and there will actually be some WP8 exclusive apps to choose from. I'd say the timing will be just about perfect. Until then, I'm perfectly happy to get 7.8. If Microsoft can give me orientation lock and separate volume controls in 7.8 along with the new start screen, I will be ecstatic.

At least of most Android phones I can get OS updates from other sources. This is the definition of fragmentation.

Android has not abandoned it's kernel for a completely new one between updates. I encourage you to read up on the subject. If you learn some more about it, you will realize just how much would have to be done in terms of writing completely new drivers and OEM and component software in order to make an update to WP8 possible on our phones. It would never have been a simple thing, it would have involved flashing the ROM, serious stuff that most people aren't even comfortable doing. Aside from all of the work it would have required of OEM's and component makes for no return on their investment other than making a few entitled whiners happy who would have found another reason to feel slighted anyway.

Android is FAR more fragmented than WP will ever be. In fact, the very reason Microsoft is starting with a new kernel is to avoid fragmentation in the future. On the Android side there are devices with Android 2.2, 2.3, 3.0 and 4.0 ALL ON THE SHELF AT THE SAME TIME and most of them without clear upgrade paths. That is fragmentation. Windows Phone isn't even remotely close to that and it never will be.

When you buy a phone, your not just buying the hardware. If that was the case, I would be able to put any operating system I wanted on it. With the phone, your buying the OS.

Right. You bought Windows Phone 7.5, not Windows Phone 8.

I absolutely love WP but Microsoft dropped the ball big time. They could have easily avoided any controversy by simply giving the 900 and Titan 2 WP8 and giving everything else 7.8.

First of all there would be NOTHING "simple" about that (see above) and if you think that would have avoided any controversy, I want some of what you're smoking. Every person out there with a WP other than a Lumia 900 or Titan 2 would have make a huge stink and been crying and whining about it (just like they are now)

Microsoft is creating an image here of "buyer beware." I probably won't be able to afford a brand new phone (I'm on Straight Talk so no free/cheap phones). I may look toward a quality Android phone considering that a high end Android drops in prices quickly due to the amount of new phones. I pray that Microsoft/Nokia does some type of program that allows 900 users to trade in phones for a decent amount of money.

A buyer should always beware. I don't know where people ever got the idea that it was completely normal to expect major OS updates on something as specialized as a cell phone. Apple set the bar pretty high by making their updates very backwards compatible, but that is a lot easier to do when your updates hardly change anything and you simply disable the best/most demanding features.

Android is a sloppy chaotic mess, so I won't even justify it by spending much time addressing it. We all know there is rarely a clear upgrade path on Android phones. How many are STILL shipping with 2.3 now? How long has 4.0 been out? How many phones are still without an upgrade path to 4.0? Aside from that, the whole platform is a sloppy, bug-ridden pile of excrement. I will NEVER buy an Android phone again after the horrid experiences I have had with them. I've had two Android phones and a tablet BTW.

If you want to go to Android though, by all means, go right ahead. I won't try and talk you out of it. Frankly I'd be just fine if all the whiners here went to Android and left this forum in peace. Most of them would be back within 6 months to a year anyway when they realize the grass really isn't greener on that side of the fence.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
TOO MUCH STUFF TO QUOTE BUT IT WAS ALL CORRECT AND AWESOME

If I didn't know any better I would swear I switched user names and posted that.

Excellent post, you summed up my feelings exactly.

Its funny, because rarely in other products does this happen. When a new stove or fridge or pair of Nikes comes out, the people who own "last year's model" don't suddenly flip out. The product they bought works for what they bought it for.

What if, instead of announcing WP8 wasn't coming to the Lumia, MS had announced something inconsequential, like they're updating Silverlight or something and it wouldn't effect any devices. Wouldn't people who, two weeks ago were HAPPY with their Lumia, still be happy with it?

The "app argument" is bullsh*t too - how many apps do people REALLY use on their phone? Are there going to be THAT MANY WP8 only apps that you can't get? I'd bet, if there's any, it'd be less than a handful. So you "suffer" without those apps for 6 months to a year until you can upgrade. Big whup.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
No cell phone holds its value, other than an iPhone. These electronics which inevitably become outdated. Not an investment.

What are you talking about? Nokia released an update to fix the data issue within 2 weeks of launching the Lumia. I received one other update since then and now my phone is prompting me for a third update. The Tango update is coming and then 7.8 after that.

How long has this phone been out again? How many updates would you expect in less than a year???? :straight:

I can only speak for myself, but I had an Android phone I hated and I dealt with it for 5 months because I wasn't really happy with any of the Windows Phones available at the time, but I loved Windows Phone 7.5. Still do. So once the Lumia 900 was announced, I finally had all the pieces in place. The OS I loved and a phone I loved to run it on. Unlike some people here, I didn't stop liking my phone suddenly when I found out in wouldn't be upgradable to WP8. I always knew that was a risk and besides that, major OS updates on phones are often accompanied with problems even when you can do them. Every single person I know who updated an older iPhone to a newer OS has either lost data or had performance issues or both.

I never purchased this phone with the expectation of making a major OS update to it. I don't keep phones long enough to make that worth it. Most people don't. By the time a two year contract is up, there's not only a major OS update, there are also much better, much faster phones to run it on. I will never understand why this is such an issue for some of you guys. Are you keeping your phone for 4 years? I'm not. By the time I'm ready for a new phone, the kinks will be well worked out of WP8 and there will actually be some WP8 exclusive apps to choose from. I'd say the timing will be just about perfect. Until then, I'm perfectly happy to get 7.8. If Microsoft can give me orientation lock and separate volume controls in 7.8 along with the new start screen, I will be ecstatic.

Android has not abandoned it's kernel for a completely new one between updates. I encourage you to read up on the subject. If you learn some more about it, you will realize just how much would have to be done in terms of writing completely new drivers and OEM and component software in order to make an update to WP8 possible on our phones. It would never have been a simple thing, it would have involved flashing the ROM, serious stuff that most people aren't even comfortable doing. Aside from all of the work it would have required of OEM's and component makes for no return on their investment other than making a few entitled whiners happy who would have found another reason to feel slighted anyway.

Android is FAR more fragmented than WP will ever be. In fact, the very reason Microsoft is starting with a new kernel is to avoid fragmentation in the future. On the Android side there are devices with Android 2.2, 2.3, 3.0 and 4.0 ALL ON THE SHELF AT THE SAME TIME and most of them without clear upgrade paths. That is fragmentation. Windows Phone isn't even remotely close to that and it never will be.

Right. You bought Windows Phone 7.5, not Windows Phone 8.

First of all there would be NOTHING "simple" about that (see above) and if you think that would have avoided any controversy, I want some of what you're smoking. Every person out there with a WP other than a Lumia 900 or Titan 2 would have make a huge stink and been crying and whining about it (just like they are now)

A buyer should always beware. I don't know where people ever got the idea that it was completely normal to expect major OS updates on something as specialized as a cell phone. Apple set the bar pretty high by making their updates very backwards compatible, but that is a lot easier to do when your updates hardly change anything and you simply disable the best/most demanding features.

Android is a sloppy chaotic mess, so I won't even justify it by spending much time addressing it. We all know there is rarely a clear upgrade path on Android phones. How many are STILL shipping with 2.3 now? How long has 4.0 been out? How many phones are still without an upgrade path to 4.0? Aside from that, the whole platform is a sloppy, bug-ridden pile of excrement. I will NEVER buy an Android phone again after the horrid experiences I have had with them. I've had two Android phones and a tablet BTW.

If you want to go to Android though, by all means, go right ahead. I won't try and talk you out of it. Frankly I'd be just fine if all the whiners here went to Android and left this forum in peace. Most of them would be back within 6 months to a year anyway when they realize the grass really isn't greener on that side of the fence.

I agree Android is a mess in terms of fragmentation.

But when ATT promises the Galaxy S2 will get the 4.0 update. Although they may be 2-4 months international updates, the software devices will eventually get the update (which is rolling out as we speak)....months behind schedule.

But Android at least gives you one major update (with phones released within past 12 months).

The Lumia 900/Titan 2/Focus 2 are all new phones less than 2-2.5 months and it will not get Windows 8.

At least when you got the Droid Razr/HTC Rezound/Galaxy s2 (back in late fall 2011) with Android 4.0 on the horizon, the manufactuers promised that upgrade path.

But as far as I am concerned, I would not recommend a Lumia 900 right now because of no Windows 8 upgrade path. It's quite ridiculous to have a phone this new not be upgradable at least one major software update.

Say what you want to say about Android. But if you buy a top of the line Android phone, you will get one major update (may 2 if you are lucky Droid X/ HTC EVO 4G both shipped with 2.1. They both got 2.2 (froyo) and 2.3 Gingerbread. Even the Galaxy S (minus the T-mobile USA Vibrant screwing it's users). All Galaxy S phones except for T-mobile's Vibrant got 2.2 and 2.3 upgrades.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Board Express sucks!

Socialcarpet: Sorry, can't quote. Well said. Still enjoying, and will continue to enjoy my beautifully different Lumia 900. Looking forward to 7.8.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
FYI, the new Sony ion device is out now for 99 on contract......with gingerbread...on the promise of ics...that will probably come out after jelly bean is released
Oh and another FYI, all android devices do not get ONE major update. LG optimus 2x anyone? Stayed on gingerbread its entire existence

B00m79

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 900/Titan 2/Focus 2 are all new phones less than 2-2.5 months and it will not get Windows 8.

That's the part that bugs me the most, I think.

It's not that I dislike the phone, though it or the OS have failed to wow me. It's that it seems like MS just didn't really care about people buying the Lumia 900 or Titan 2. I'll lump Nokia and HTC in there, because while they don't have control over the OS, they had to have been provided roadmaps a while ago letting them know what hardware would be supported on the new OS, and what wasn't. They wouldn't be able to have good phones available for WP8 release otherwise.

I understand it from a business perspective, but as a consumer, how does this engender the kind of good will which will keep me buying these products, investing in the ecosystem, and recommending them to friends and family? It's not that the Lumia is a bad product, but I think the way this has been handled has been a complete mess, especially the unapologetic tone MS and Nokia have taken.

It's quotes like this one from a Nokia VP that bother me, "I think that ultimately your typical customer probably isn't all that aware of this upgrade thing.". That may be true, but most people I know either have a member or their family or a friend who's a tech enthusiast. My brother and I certainly are it for our family. Why would I recommend the phone to someone else, when I can just tell them to wait a few months and see what else is out there? If I don't trust MS and Nokia to deal with me straight, why recommend them at all?

Now I know how Apple customers feel when they buy a Macbook only to have a completely new, better version released within 30 days for the same price they paid. I've avoided buying Apple products for precisely that reason, and now I feel like I'm getting it from MS and Nokia as well. Did I just get "Appled"? :dry

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
FYI, the new Sony ion device is out now for 99 on contract......with gingerbread...on the promise of ics...that will probably come out after jelly bean is released
Oh and another FYI, all android devices do not get ONE major update. LG optimus 2x anyone? Stayed on gingerbread its entire existence

That's different from Lumia 900 owner's story.

With ICS already out and Google I/O is only days away, you would be stupid to make the purchase based on that assumption, especially given the Android's bad track record like you said. The Verge, Gizmodo, Engadget just the name a few both mentioned that they would not recommend ION for purchase considering the legacy of the OS. Any current Android devices shoppers has that sort of resource to research on before making their purchase decision.

Lumia 900 owners were led to believe that the partnership with Microsoft should bring some sort of exclusivity compare to other manufacturers like HTC or Samsung as Elop had tried to convey to the public in numerous conference and events late last year and earlier this year as he announced Nokia's decision to adopt WP. The beta test advertising campaign is also a misinformation by down playing other competitors to show it's superiority. And I don't know if you noticed, since WP Summit's announcement, Nokia and Microsoft vague statement about the "updates" of the current OS are generally referred to the app update, not the OS update. Many of you are still holding on the hope that 7.8 may end up getting more because of their statements.

These are all called deceptive advertising, and that's how they led Lumia 900 owners into this trap at the first place.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99