Buy 900 now?

MrDanbastic

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I am coming from Sprint and am very intrigued with the 900. After reading the posts in this forum I am second guessing my pending purchase. I am coming from bb. I do not root, jailbreak, etc any of my phones. My question, who would pay the $99.00 today for the 900? Who would wait for Win8? Who would go with android? Since you all have used the 900, your shared experiences would be an invaluable tool in helping me decide.. Thank you in advance for any replies.

poxme

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
For me, I'd buy one, who care about the major update, as long as it works and its beautiful why bother. My phone really serve me well social life, geek life and everything. Windows 7.5 bridges all sides of my life together beautifully!

Sent from my Radar C110e using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The choice will ultimately be yours. The L900 is a great phone (on the charger so I am using my Surround), but if you are intrigued by a high-res screen, NFC and multiple cores you might want to wait. Also, if you are someone who would never purchase a phone off contract, then you might want to wait for WP8, as you might start to have regrets a year from now while you wait for your upgrade. I purchase a phone off contract every other year, between contracts, but your situation may be different.

Regarding the differences between WP and BB, you will have to do some searching here. There are a couple good threads from former BB users.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with my 900 and I'm not at all worried about app availability when WP8 hits. However, if you're the type of man who prefers the latest and greatest hardware then I'd suggest waiting till fall. That's when a lot of companies refresh their current crop of devices.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd try to buy it off contract and save your upgrade discount for a new device later this year. I'm guessing prices just dropped on them with the Win8 announcement. Win win.

I use it and still love it. That won't change when WP8 launches, I'll probably not pick up a WP8 till next year.

poxme

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have right now is an HTC radar, next coming months I'll buy either HTC titan or lumia 900, giving it to someone special, So far I'm enjoying this phone. I really can't imagine those guys grieving about some updates, which is impossible,come on logically current devices got some hardware limitations. The best thing you can do is enjoy what you have right now don't spoil the moment. get a life ppl.

For the topic starter since you came from bb, im pretty sure you'll be amazed with windows phone. Just make sure the core reason why you'll switch to windows.

Sent from my Radar C110e using Board Express

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I am coming from Sprint and am very intrigued with the 900. After reading the posts in this forum I am second guessing my pending purchase. I am coming from bb. I do not root, jailbreak, etc any of my phones. My question, who would pay the $99.00 today for the 900? Who would wait for Win8? Who would go with android? Since you all have used the 900, your shared experiences would be an invaluable tool in helping me decide.. Thank you in advance for any replies.

Sorry, but the post is sort of vague. You're coming from Sprint to AT&T? Because if you're not, the 900 won't work for you.

If you're going to buy a device TODAY for AT&T and you want a WP7 phone, get a first generation Samsung Focus. They can be hand in like new condition for $100 on Ebay, and AT&T's 3G is so much faster than Sprint's, you'll feel like its a big bump up. That way you can get your "feet wet" with Windows Phone, and save an "upgrade" for WP8 devices.

So here's what you do - buy the phone on Ebay, take it to an AT&T store, tell them you have the phone but do NOT want to sign a contract, and sign up. Then you can get ON contract in Oct/Nov when the WP8 devices are released.

Trust me, don't go with a 900 now. Its a good phone, but its literally 3-4 months until the "next gen" is released.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but the post is sort of vague. You're coming from Sprint to AT&T? Because if you're not, the 900 won't work for you.

If you're going to buy a device TODAY for AT&T and you want a WP7 phone, get a first generation Samsung Focus. They can be hand in like new condition for $100 on Ebay, and AT&T's 3G is so much faster than Sprint's, you'll feel like its a big bump up. That way you can get your "feet wet" with Windows Phone, and save an "upgrade" for WP8 devices.

So here's what you do - buy the phone on Ebay, take it to an AT&T store, tell them you have the phone but do NOT want to sign a contract, and sign up. Then you can get ON contract in Oct/Nov when the WP8 devices are released.

Trust me, don't go with a 900 now. Its a good phone, but its literally 3-4 months until the "next gen" is released.

110% agree. If you are coming from another carrier, you may want to buy a phone off craigslist and make sure ATT rep notes you are bringing your own phone to the carrier "off contract"

Some reps may give you a hard time into signing a post-paid plan. If you can't get att to do it. Just go prepay with Straight Talk for $45 and you can use any ATT phone (or any GSM phone) to tie you over into new Windows 8 phones comes out or new LTE iPhone (or whatever Android phone you are interested in).

I agree with the above poster. Do not waste your subsidized upgrade at this point with new phones on the horizon and especially with Microsoft's announcement that the Lumia 900 and other Windows 7.5 phones will not get the upgrade to windows 8.

MrDanbastic

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

I'm sorry. Yes I am coming from Sprint to AT and T. Its a combination of Sprints network upgrade in Chicago has me dropping calls like crazy and my new employer has a 22% discount with ATandT..Thanks again for all the replies..

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Buy a cheap used WP of eBay like the Original Focus for around $100-125 if you are moving now. Wait to purchase a phone on contract until the Windows Phone 8 hardware comes out. Its not far off and will bring many things that will make that phone everything you need for a couple years (life of typical contract).

I personally wouldn't recommend Android to anybody after using it extensively for a couple years. Windows phone as it is now is still a pleasure to use, but I wouldn't go into a contract with existing hardware.

B00m79

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Gotta say, if it were me and you were really interested in the 900, wait a few months until WP8 comes out, then get one off Ebay or Craigslist for cheap. The value of them should go down a good bit by then when people are looking to upgrade.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
DON'T DO CONTRACTS! Contracts are for CHUMPS! just watch eBay and get a 900 for cheap. I just did for $150. Then get on Straight Talk for $45 unlimited.

DON'T DO CONTRACTS!

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
DON'T DO CONTRACTS! Contracts are for CHUMPS! just watch eBay and get a 900 for cheap. I just did for $150. Then get on Straight Talk for $45 unlimited.

DON'T DO CONTRACTS!

Agreed. The Nokia Lumia 900 average selling price is below $300 on ebay these days and it's still dropping.

Go prepaid. Get used Lumia 900 and wait for Windows 8 phones at this time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb