A few weeks ago I decided to switch from Verizon over to AT&T to save some money (the move would allow me to go on a Family Plan with someone else already over on AT&T), and had to pick a phone.

Having used iPhones and then switching over to Androids in the past, I was curious about Windows Phones after hearing positive remarks from friends with them, and reading reviews, so went to take a look at the Lumia 900. There was lots I liked about it, but the HTC One X had just come out and damn it's a gorgeous phone so I ended up getting that.

Recently I attended Microsoft's TechEd conference in Orlando, and was getting excited about Windows 8 after seeing some in-depth walk-thrus there, and more recently got even more excited about their Surface coming out this fall, so decided I'd like to get into developing for one or more of their platforms. (I code in c# all day at work, so I'm familiar with all their tools.)

So, this gave me an excuse to get a second cell phone (never too many gadgets!!), and I figured it would be handy to have a windows phone to get to know it a little better. I also figured there'd be more than a few disheartened users trying to dump Lumias on craigslist, and sure enough there were some "like new" phones at very good prices, so I'm going to pick one up tomorrow.

It'll be fun to compare/contrast using the Lumia compared to the HOX, and see how I like the whole Windows Phone experience. And, it'll be fun to try my hand at developing something for this plus maybe Windows 8 and/or the Surface down the road. And, if I do fall in love with Metro then I can get a new Apollo phone this fall without having spent a lot of money in the meantime.

Reading this forum has helped a lot in deciding to do this, so I wanted to say "thanks" to you all too, even though I've just been a lurker up until now.

:happy:
    ninjaap, HeyCori and hellomiggy like this.
    06-25-2012 11:12 PM
    This is definitely a good time to pick up the Lumia 900 now that you know what you are getting into.
    06-25-2012 11:22 PM
    This is definitely a good time to pick up the Lumia 900 now that you know what you are getting into.
    I would think you could get them pretty much for free right now, just like Nokia stock. :dry
    06-26-2012 11:20 AM
    I would think you could get them pretty much for free right now, just like Nokia stock. :dry
    On Craigslist in the Boston area the asking prices seem to range between 225 and 325 for phones in almost-new or very good condition. (Of course what prices they are really getting is another question.)

I picked mine up for 225, and it was in almost-like-new condition (the plastic was still over the lens and no visible defects on the case or screen.)

I added to my family plan at a local AT&T store (no contract of course) and then did the OS update and have been busy installing apps and getting to know it for the last couple hours. So far I'm very impressed by it and, any "Windows 8 upgrade path" issues aside I can see how this would be a great phone for lots of people.

Even though it won't be my primary phone for the near future, I'll use it as such for the next couple weeks to see how I like it. In the long run when WP8 comes out I can decide whether to make a primary phone switch to WP8 or stick with Android.
    06-26-2012 04:26 PM
    Yeah it's a great phone. Not much else to say. I've had about every phone/OS combo there is and for my money, right now, WP and Lumia are the way to go. My plan is simple. I'm gonna keep using the 900 until after the next iteration of Nokia WP8 devices. Then upgrade again. Also plan on picking up a Surface Pro to go with it. By then I think Microsoft will have a great combo of hardware and software rolling.
    -joe-
    karmamule likes this.
    06-27-2012 01:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD