Live tile updates have ceased

slepr

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I have been using my 900 since it shipped to my house on April 8th. For the most part everything has been working well until the past 4 days. The problem I am having has to do with the live tile info updates. They have stopped updating altogether. WP Central app used to show the number of new stories as well as text on the back about the most recent story. Engadget used to show the latest story on the back of the tile and an updated photo on the front. My weather app (amazing weather) would update the temp hourly.

This all stopped occuring about 4 days ago. I remember at that time going into settings and turning off background tasks to several old apps I no longer had on my start screen. However, I have triple checked to make sure that the above mentioned apps live tile background tasks are all in the "on" position. This "on" is visible under each of the apps in the list of background tasks.

I completely uninstalled and reinstalled all above apps twice in hopes of re-initializing things but no luck. Multiple power downs have not helped. Tried 3 other weather apps and live tiles did not update either (background tasks confirmed to be "on" in settings). I added some new tiles to the start screen recently (now have 19 rows). Is it possible I have too much memory drain on start screen that is preventing live tile updates? I have no knowledge of WP programming so I am just throwing out guesses here.

Phone, email and text tiles all update normally.

Using 9 GB of the 16GB total.

Any ideas on what I should do. I really would rather not have to hard reset since I have over 300 apps that I would have to reinstall.

Thanks,
Bob

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me too. I couldn't figure it out, I thought the apps were broken, didn't work right, until I made my own app and it didn't update either. Drove me nuts. The only way I fixed it was to hard reset which is not a good solution as you have said already, but I wasn't able to do anything else to get it working.

I have been using my 900 since it shipped to my house on April 8th. For the most part everything has been working well until the past 4 days. The problem I am having has to do with the live tile info updates. They have stopped updating altogether. WP Central app used to show the number of new stories as well as text on the back about the most recent story. Engadget used to show the latest story on the back of the tile and an updated photo on the front. My weather app (amazing weather) would update the temp hourly.

This all stopped occuring about 4 days ago. I remember at that time going into settings and turning off background tasks to several old apps I no longer had on my start screen. However, I have triple checked to make sure that the above mentioned apps live tile background tasks are all in the "on" position. This "on" is visible under each of the apps in the list of background tasks.

I completely uninstalled and reinstalled all above apps twice in hopes of re-initializing things but no luck. Multiple power downs have not helped. Tried 3 other weather apps and live tiles did not update either (background tasks confirmed to be "on" in settings). I added some new tiles to the start screen recently (now have 19 rows). Is it possible I have too much memory drain on start screen that is preventing live tile updates? I have no knowledge of WP programming so I am just throwing out guesses here.

Phone, email and text tiles all update normally.

Using 9 GB of the 16GB total.

Any ideas on what I should do. I really would rather not have to hard reset since I have over 300 apps that I would have to reinstall.

Thanks,
Bob

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
No idea what may be going on. Just for comparison though, I have 43 tiles on my Start screen, so about 22 rows. I also have just about 200 apps/games, with 8 active background tasks that update reliably. About 5.8GB free space.

Have has no problems with Live Tiles updating some getting the Mango update on my Surround. No issues at all on the L900. Note that sometimes apps will have problems at their end they gets resolved after a day or more. But it appears you have too many problem tiles for that scenario.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

slepr

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the replies. I guess I will to a hard reset and use reinstaller to help get back to functioning normally.

Hector1van

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
if the phone has gone into battery saver once this might happen. Try uncheching the batery saver feature and then power off the phone. restart Go into each aff the apps that u wish to update and then wait 30 minutes wich is the default update time. then affter this is done. U can put batery saver back on.

RattleSnake506

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the replies. I guess I will to a hard reset and use reinstaller to help get back to functioning normally.

Please wait until the Tango Update.. Looks like it will fix live tile woes.

Does Tango improve Live Tile notification reliability? | WMPoweruser

I had the same problem and asked the same question (if I should reset or wait for Tango) in the forum a while ago. No answer was found, so I did the hard reset and installed all my apps.

I just saw this news this morning.. So I think, waiting for Tango would be the better option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234