How to get Tango Update on Rogers 900?

pdjcrawford

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to enable my lumia to get the latest updates directly from Nokia and bypass Rogers completely?
I was able to force the update today for my Rogers Lumia 900. Here's how I did it, based largely on readings here at wpcentral:

1) put phone on airplane mode -- WiFi and cellular data disabled
2) disable WiFi on PC/laptop
3) connect to PC/laptop via ethernet cable
4) connect to Zune, allow connection to phone
5) click on "Phone", then "Settings"
6) click on "Update", and about 1 second after the search for update starts yank out ethernet cable
7) phone displays that update is available if you have timed it right (I assumed it would be the PC informing you but it was the phone itself)
8) reconnect ethernet cable to PC/laptop
9) perform Zune "Update" again and you'll see the update to 8112
10) follow the 10 step on-screen update process for 8112
11) the last step of 8112 update is a scan for further updates which will find 8773
12) follow the 9 step on-screen update process for 8773 (you don't have to "force" this update)
13) you're done -- the whole process probably takes 50-55 minutes

Hope it helps. Happy updating to those who don't want to wait for the natural roll-out to reach them.

Nemesis-X

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Well I got it on the first try but when I pressed update the 2nd time it went sour and I can't get back there again. So close : (

pdjcrawford

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
It keeps giving me the "Can't check for updates right now. Please try again later" message.

I assume this is after you did the initial check, yanked the connection, and tried to reconnect (ie. after steps 6,7 and during 8 above)? I got that message when I didn't give the connection time to re-establish before trying again to "Update".

Nemesis-X

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I checked, it's 8107.

Yep, that is after I yanked the connection and tried a reconnect. I'll try again after giving it time to re-establish.

rc2080

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Tango should be out for Rogers already.. shouldn't it? I got mine last Thursday.

Just give it a bit more time.. they might be rolling it out to people in waves for whatever reason.

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Got the update working using that method earlier this morning!

Noticeable things:

- Purple Hue STILL a problem
- No visual changes
- Waste of time

This is NOT Tango. This is just a minor update. :)

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I updated a few hours ago to 8773. The purple hue seems to be gone for me, and the screen is noticably brighter. I will update if this doesn't continue through the day tomorrow.

And I got my hundred dollars from Rogers today (I bought outright) so it has been a great Lumia day.

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I just Tweeted them and got it. Really the long delay is my fault because of an insane work schedule. Regardless I just said I should get it because I didn't return it, and they agreed.

Further information am declaring my keyboard colouring fixed :)

rc2080

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I just Tweeted them and got it. Really the long delay is my fault because of an insane work schedule. Regardless I just said I should get it because I didn't return it, and they agreed.

Further information am declaring my keyboard colouring fixed :)

Yeah, I just tried that with their Twitter account too and they said that they don't know how you got your $100 back :/

hossiam

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Got the update working using that method earlier this morning!

Noticeable things:

- Purple Hue STILL a problem
- No visual changes
- Waste of time

This is NOT Tango. This is just a minor update. :)
I am new to this but i fixed my purple hue by putting screen brightness to high instead of auto.....I know you probably knew about this but it is a nice short term fix.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos