Is Nokia ever going to fix the Lumia 900 camera?

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I know they can't do anything about the lack of a BSI sensor. I'm talking about things like the blue tint issues. My camera has a HORRIBLE blue tint if I'm in just about any kind of low light; primarily where the light source is anything except sunlight or close enough for the flash (and not always then) basically. It is related to the white balancing. I took a picture the other evening by street light. It should have, if anything, been an orange tint. Instead everything looked like it had been taken through a strong blue filter.

joeaux

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
There is something wrong with your phone. Get it replaced. I have none of your problems. All you've got to do is check out the pictures thread on this forum to see just how great the pictures this phone takes can be, if you use it correctly (and/or your phone is not broken). Yeah, get it replaced.
-joe-

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I'll bring it up with Nokia.

I have attached the photo from the other night so you can see what I'm talking about too.

Last edited:

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I think that's a software issue. I went through 3 handsets due to various issues, and they all did this when I tried it. My 2nd handset seem to do it less, it was a green dot, but it still did it. To me it's more of a green tint than a blue tint, and only noticable in low light conditions. I think it's over aggressive white balancing post processing. You can notice it a little bit in good light sometimes too. Hoping they do something about it.

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site

I have attached the photo from the other night so you can see what I'm talking about too.

Well, I guess yours is better than mine, at least this one. I went to a concert last night, and almost every photo I took were like... there was a blue filter on my lens. More than that, I was not even able to focus the stage several times, no matter I took it with the camera button or trying to focus with touching the screen.

I hope it is a software issue as everyone said, and it seems like. But just like you said, are they gonna try to fix it?

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm still suffering through the Giant Pink Dot "feature" that shows up against white backgrounds, including my cat's face.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I think that's a software issue. I went through 3 handsets due to various issues, and they all did this when I tried it. My 2nd handset seem to do it less, it was a green dot, but it still did it. To me it's more of a green tint than a blue tint, and only noticable in low light conditions. I think it's over aggressive white balancing post processing. You can notice it a little bit in good light sometimes too. Hoping they do something about it.

It seems to vary. Sometimes it is greenish, other times it is bluish. I think it really depends on your source lighting. Incandescent bulbs have a stronger bluish tint to them.

Well, I guess yours is better than mine, at least this one. I went to a concert last night, and almost every photo I took were like... there was a blue filter on my lens. More than that, I was not even able to focus the stage several times, no matter I took it with the camera button or trying to focus with touching the screen.

I hope it is a software issue as everyone said, and it seems like. But just like you said, are they gonna try to fix it?

I believe it is software as other camera apps don't seem to have that problem, at least as bad. On the other hand, the other camera apps don't give access to all the features and controls.

I've posted it here on the Nokia forum link techygeek82 gave me. No one has replied yet so feel free to chime in and bump it.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm still suffering through the Giant Pink Dot "feature" that shows up against white backgrounds, including my cat's face.

that's a problem with all Windows Phones. so far I've not seen any manufacturer correct it out of the OS except for maybe Samsung. Microsoft needs to fix that in 7.8.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
that's a problem with all Windows Phones. so far I've not seen any manufacturer correct it out of the OS except for maybe Samsung. Microsoft needs to fix that in 7.8.

Wow, I actually just went over to my SkyDrive and looked through some pictures I took using my HTC Arrive and sure enough, some of them have the pink dot as well. The pink dot effect doesn't seem to be as conspicuous but it's definitely there. Unreal. I wonder if HTC fixed this with the Titan II, since everyone raves about its camera.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok everybody... the L900 DOES have a pretty terrible camera. It makes everything A LOT darker than it should.

But blue tint? Yeah there is something wrong there. I would definitely think about exchanging it for another L900 if you are dedicated to that device.

Just saying that if you really want a WP7 device that takes great pix then the L900 is not the WP7 device for you.

Windowsphone7

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok everybody... the L900 DOES have a pretty terrible camera. It makes everything A LOT darker than it should.

But blue tint? Yeah there is something wrong there. I would definitely think about exchanging it for another L900 if you are dedicated to that device.

Just saying that if you really want a WP7 device that takes great pix then the L900 is not the WP7 device for you.

Care to explain this photos? I confuse is the camera have problem or the user cant adept to advance technology because his skill is up to amateur standard aka point and shoot like an amateur for iphone? If you think thats the case please get an iphone.

Nokia Lumia 900 @ Flowers by JTproductions, on Flickr

Nokia Lumia 900 @ Flowers with Spider by JTproductions, on Flickr

Nokia Lumia 900 @ London the Summer Musical 2012 by JTproductions, on Flickr

Nokia Lumia 900 @ Purple Flower by JTproductions, on Flickr

Nokia Lumia 900 @ Orange Dragonfly by JTproductions, on Flickr

Nokia Lumia 900 @ Waterdrops by JTproductions, on Flickr

Nokia Lumia 900 @ Rain effect by JTproductions, on Flickr

More photos view the flickr btw all the photos are straight uploaded to flickr no edit AT ALL.
Nokia Lumia 900 Camera Gallery - a set on Flickr

Last edited:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I heard they are updating the Camera.

You just have to wait until October/November. The update will be called v.WP8 and requires you to ditch your phone.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried running pictures through the built in auto fix? It is very effective, bordering on miraculous, at saving almost unusable pictures. If I could figure out how to put up pics in here I would show you some samples from my HD7, infamous for its poor camera.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried running pictures through the built in auto fix? It is very effective, bordering on miraculous, at saving almost unusable pictures. If I could figure out how to put up pics in here I would show you some samples from my HD7, infamous for its poor camera.

I'd recommend using Nokia's Creative Studio app or another photo editing app like Thumba. I find that using the built-in auto correct adds a lot more grain to pictures.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 900 doesn't have a fantastic camera, period. Sure, some people have snapped some great shots, but that doesn't speak to the overall quality of the sensor itself.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Care to explain this photos? I confuse is the camera have problem or the user cant adept to advance technology because his skill is up to amateur standard aka point and shoot like an amateur for iphone? If you think thats the case please get an iphone.

Did you take those photos yourself, Windowsphone7? No. You posted images taken by a professional photographer who has years of experience with digital photography and knows how to tweak an image to get the best results. You're so quick to judge others - where are some examples of pictures you've taken with the Lumia 900?

Here are two pictures I took tonight using the default settings. One picture was taken using my Lumia 900, and one picture was taken using an Evo 4G LTE. Both times I unlocked the device, opened the camera, and took a picture using the default settings.

The pics:

Lumia 900
ErYfq.jpg

Evo 4G LTE
rF08m.jpg

Any responses?

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been able to take some decent photos with my Lumia 900 and all the following photos are how they typically come out for me. I did change the default settings and then I pretty much left them alone. On rare occasions I will need to adjust those settings.

You can check them all out here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/108237327041998106060/NokiaLumia900Photos?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLCVsPjF_-r24AE&feat=directlink

and here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/108237327041998106060/CarShowMainStTorringtonCT?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJqrr7Okx4SSqAE&feat=directlink

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo