Is Nokia ever going to fix the Lumia 900 camera?

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Care to explain this photos? I confuse is the camera have problem or the user cant adept to advance technology because his skill is up to amateur standard aka point and shoot like an amateur for iphone? If you think thats the case please get an iphone.

Yeah, notice how the one taken indoors has absolutely NO detail in the darker areas and the last one with the shadows in the trees again have no detail as the camera just leaves it black.

I just don't know if it's being a blind ****** or what but it's a known fact that the Lumia 900 has a pretty terrible camera.

You can talk about being an 'amateur' all you want but a 'pro' should not be relying on his Nokia cell-phone to take pictures lol. Cell-phones are meant to take a quick snap of something. Some phones are better than others. A 'pro' should have a REAL camera. Not sure why that's even a valid arguement for you, it makes you look silly if you are expecting your cell phone to take "pro" pictures.

Just deal with it, the L900 doesn't have a good camera for a smartphone.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Shouldn't need a degree in photography to take good pictures, especially when you don't need such knowledge when using other phones including other Windows Phones. Rather than glossing over the issue by talking down to those who don't know about light metering and such much better to acknowledge the faults and suggest settings that could help.

Yeah, the fanboyism on this site is getting ridiculous.

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Here are two pictures I took tonight using the default settings. One picture was taken using my Lumia 900, and one picture was taken using an Evo 4G LTE. Both times I unlocked the device, opened the camera, and took a picture using the default settings.

The pics:

Lumia 900
Click to view quoted image

Evo 4G LTE

Any responses?

Enough said! You can clearly shut everyone up with this simple comparison! If I need to spend 3 minutes on manual settings to get a decent picture, then how about I hand crack the phone to charge its battery?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Shouldn't need a degree in photography to take good pictures, especially when you don't need such knowledge when using other phones including other Windows Phones. Rather than glossing over the issue by talking down to those who don't know about light metering and such much better to acknowledge the faults and suggest settings that could help.

Yeah, the fanboyism on this site is getting ridiculous.

especially when people like you like to boast about having less issues than lumia owners. Hypocritical much?

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The whole point of a dedicated camera button on WP was to replace your point and shoot. Add in Nokia and Carl Zeiss we should have a stellar camera, but we don't.

On another note would it be so wrong to have a three thread deep, standard size receiver screw for some lenses on any camera phone? At least for some real zoom?

Windowsphone7

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, notice how the one taken indoors has absolutely NO detail in the darker areas and the last one with the shadows in the trees again have no detail as the camera just leaves it black.

I just don't know if it's being a blind ****** or what but it's a known fact that the Lumia 900 has a pretty terrible camera.

You can talk about being an 'amateur' all you want but a 'pro' should not be relying on his Nokia cell-phone to take pictures lol. Cell-phones are meant to take a quick snap of something. Some phones are better than others. A 'pro' should have a REAL camera. Not sure why that's even a valid arguement for you, it makes you look silly if you are expecting your cell phone to take "pro" pictures.

Just deal with it, the L900 doesn't have a good camera for a smartphone.

Mate a "pro" can adept to any camera they use only amateur like you need a "pro" camera to look cool. That fact you created it for someone like you. I proven it with my photos and also UNEDITED. I dont need an iphone if i do ill become like you so its a NO NO.

Anyway here are few more photos :-

Nokia Lumia 900 @ Flowers with Spider by JTproductions, on Flickr

Nokia Lumia 900 @ Flowers by JTproductions, on Flickr

A pro understand the capability and limitation of each camera they use regardless its a mobile phone , DSLR , compact camera because all this imaging devices have a common thing we call aperture, shutter speed , ISO , White balance , Framing , bokeh and etc.

For an amateur like you they only want to look good in expensive camera. So when someone hand you a cheaper camera their prespective is the more expensive the camera the more pro you look.

I will deal with it that you need an iphone. Pro do not need an iphone .

Windowsphone7

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Did you take those photos yourself, Windowsphone7? No. You posted images taken by a professional photographer who has years of experience with digital photography and knows how to tweak an image to get the best results. You're so quick to judge others - where are some examples of pictures you've taken with the Lumia 900?

Here are two pictures I took tonight using the default settings. One picture was taken using my Lumia 900, and one picture was taken using an Evo 4G LTE. Both times I unlocked the device, opened the camera, and took a picture using the default settings.

The pics:

Lumia 900

Evo 4G LTE

Any responses?

Mate all those photos are not taken by professional. All are taken by me.

Your issue is simple you have finger print on your lens thats why it becomes foggy due to your finger print. Please make sure wipe your lens before taking the photo so probably your EVO 4G do not have finger print. Amazing try it yourself =p

This photos of the Nokia Lumia 800 are also taken by me
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thenokiagallery/sets/72157629369608885/detail/

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Mate a "pro" can adept to any camera they use only amateur like you need a "pro" camera to look cool. That fact you created it for someone like you. I proven it with my photos and also UNEDITED. I dont need an iphone if i do ill become like you so its a NO NO.

Anyway here are few more photos :-

[URL=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8160/7561361802_c37154d068_z.jpg]Click to view quoted image
[/url]
Nokia Lumia 900 @ Flowers with Spider by JTproductions, on Flickr

[URL=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7140/7561323474_997600aabd_z.jpg]Click to view quoted image
[/url]
Nokia Lumia 900 @ Flowers by JTproductions, on Flickr

A pro understand the capability and limitation of each camera they use regardless its a mobile phone , DSLR , compact camera because all this imaging devices have a common thing we call aperture, shutter speed , ISO , White balance , Framing , bokeh and etc.

For an amateur like you they only want to look good in expensive camera. So when someone hand you a cheaper camera their prespective is the more expensive the camera the more pro you look.

I will deal with it that you need an iphone. Pro do not need an iphone .

IMO your photos are some of the greatest I've seen, even compared to some DSLR photos. You really know how to utilize what you're given to work with to make things look great. But I think it still doesn't answer the argument of this still being a phone camera. Yes, we all can probably take the time to actually find good settings, and probably save those settings, but for most of us, the phone camera on auto, should just pretty much work like other flagship devices on auto: give use decent photos on the spot without having to configure.
I know the auto settings are pretty messed up, I've taken photos like in the example above by PhilR8 where it comes out foggy-ish even though my lens is clean. But I've also taken a few photos like yours on auto where it looks great. I think Nokia just needs to tweak the auto a bit to make users happier.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site

Your issue is simple you have finger print on your lens thats why it becomes foggy due to your finger print. Please make sure wipe your lens before taking the photo so probably your EVO 4G do not have finger print. Amazing try it yourself =p

Nokia Lumia 800 Camera Gallery (Untouched) - a set on Flickr

You may be right, I just wiped my lens with the soft cloth that came with my glasses and things look clearer. I'll make sure to take some more comparison shots and see if that makes a difference.

You're still what I would call a pro, though. You may be an amateur photographer but you obviously know a lot about photography, probably hundreds if not thousands of hours of teaching yourself compared to the standard user of a smartphone. The point of a smartphone camera is to capture spontaneous images in places where you either don't want to bring a DSLR or places where it would be impractical, and the competition between devices/platforms becomes which can deliver the best photograph across the widest cross-section of users. Anyone who has spent hundreds/thousands of hours tinkering with cameras and photography can take a subpar platform and bend it to their will and make something great.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Nokia Lumia 800 Camera Gallery (Untouched) - a set on Flickr

So how do I take pics like that? Is there a guide somewhere?

My Lumia 900 pics are not great either.

I understand what you're saying, but at the same time I think it's a bit disingenuous to knock people for wanting a phone that can take nice pictures by hitting a button, not going in and adjusting ISO and exposure perfectly for every shot.

You're acting a bit as if people are being stupid here, but the fact is the iPhone and many other phones take pictures that look as good or better than what you've posted here and people get those results by pressing a button, that's it.

Most people do not want to adjust settings for every shot on a smartphone. You shouldn't have to. It's not an SLR from 1985. It's a friggin phone. People just want good pictures without the work.

I am one of the biggest defenders of WP and Nokia that you'll meet, and I think the camera is adequate, certainly not as awful as some people make it out to be, but I am not delusional. The plain fact is that the best phones out there take much better pictures than the Lumia 900 does. Period.

I'm OK with that for now though, I accept it.

I'm interested in picking up some tips to get better results with the photos I take with the phone I've got. :cool:

Budule

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
Got to agree that the "point and shoot" of the Lumia is pretty crappy......me and the wife both got phones before we went on vacation 2 months ago, me with the lumia and her with the Galaxy Note and most of the time we would be side by side taking pics of our son at various locations, Her phone was far, FAR superior in almost all situations......and instead of everybody (who are NOT "pro's") having to fiddle with the settings, shouldn't Nokia do that for us?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Seriously, you must have the steadiest hands ever or a tripod and some amazing skills to get results like this. My pictures don't look 1/10 that good. :dry

How about some Cliffs Notes on what you're doing to get these results. Posting the pics to show us it's possible is nice and all, but not especially helpful.

Windowsphone7

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
No offense buddy i can only teach if that someone wants to learn from the title of this thread it seems the author is blindly accusing so his solution can only be fixed by Nokia.

I can only teach those believe they need to improve in their skills not device problem. Feel free to PM me and ask any questions you want. Ill answer them

If the title is tips on how to improve my shots in nokia lumia 900 then i can put tips.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
especially when people like you like to boast about having less issues than lumia owners. Hypocritical much?

Might want to turn your brain on as I have a Lumia, so how would I "boast about having less issues than lumia owners"? In fact I'd like to know where I've "boasted" about anything regarding my device.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No offense buddy i can only teach if that someone wants to learn from the title of this thread it seems the author is blindly accusing so his solution can only be fixed by Nokia.

I can only teach those believe they need to improve in their skills not device problem. Feel free to PM me and ask any questions you want. Ill answer them

If the title is tips on how to improve my shots in nokia lumia 900 then i can put tips.

I see. The mountain doesn't come to Mohammed, Mohammed must go to the mountain, eh?

Never mind then. I don't need to know that bad. I was just hoping you might share some tips with everyone that might help them. Your choice.

nGIUs.gif

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Question, do you use the default camera app or a third part app?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786