Lumia 900 less than 2 days old. BRICKED!

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So I just switched to AT&T to get the Lumia 900. Like any new phone I get I let the battery completely die after my first full charge.

So it's dead, I have had it plugged in for about 3 hours and it just sits here showing a white screen for about 3 seconds, then a black screen for about 5 seconds, then the battery logo with just a little red juice in it for about 5 more seconds then black again for 5 and back to white for about 3.

It just does this over and over and over and never takes a charge. I've tried umplugging it and plugging it back in over and over at different points during this cycle but to no avail.

I guess it's back to the store with this one. I WON'T be getting another Lumia 900.

Maybe they will have the Focus 2. I really don't want the Titan 2 becase I don't like phones THAT big.

EDIT: It appears that this is a VERY common issue. Too bad too. I was ready to be "nokia or bust" and join all the cool people who got one.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
You can get a Samsung or an HTC instead, but if you let the battery die it may happen again. My Samsung Focus died a few times and a couple times it took me while to get it to start up again. Same with HTC Surround. You don't want to condition these batteries. It actually does more harm than good. Just use it normally and plug in when you feel like it. Battery life will start to get better after a couple weeks. This has been my experience since the WM days.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
You can get a Samsung or an HTC instead, but if you let the battery die it may happen again. My Samsung Focus died a few times and a couple times it took me while to get it to start up again. Same with HTC Surround. You don't want to condition these batteries. It actually does more harm than good. Just use it normally and plug in when you feel like it. Battery life will start to get better after a couple weeks. This has been my experience since the WM days.

I understand what you are saying but that doesn't mean that it should brick the phone if one does let the battery completely die or they simply aren't around a charger.

The fact that this is so wide-spread across the Lumia 900 community doesn't make it any better either. It's easy to just say "don't let it completely die" or "plug it in whenever you can." It's a defect and should not happen.

I have had many HTC devices and never had a samsung one but I have never had this problem and after searching around the internet I do not see this as an issue with the Focus family or the Titan family of things. However it seems to happen to a lot of 900's.

So warning to anybody who has never let your battery die 100%, DONT DO IT!!!

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Well I couldn't use the alarm feature on on Surround for the first six months without locking up the phone, which required a battery pull to reset. So, **** happens.

Glad you did the research on the L900. Just a few days too late. Still enjoying mine. And not letting it get to 0%.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I never had the Surround or looked it up for issues it had. Were they as wide-spread as the L900.

Just google (or bing) it. There are lots of issues with the 900. Heck there is even a poll on an article here about all the issues people are having.

The "no data connection" issue was large enough that Nokia was giving out $100 bills to everybody who bought an L900 within a certain timeframe.

Lots of people with battery charging issues that brick the phone, also issues with the buttons not working and the touch-screen not working. Not to mention the burn-in that the clear black is suceptible to.

So I guess if you are lucky enough to not have those issues except for the battery one I hope your L900 never, ever completely dies and you keep it by your side 24/7 and never go camping or anything like that.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
So I just switched to AT&T to get the Lumia 900. Like any new phone I get I let the battery completely die after my first full charge.

So it's dead, I have had it plugged in for about 3 hours and it just sits here showing a white screen for about 3 seconds, then a black screen for about 5 seconds, then the battery logo with just a little red juice in it for about 5 more seconds then black again for 5 and back to white for about 3.

It just does this over and over and over and never takes a charge. I've tried umplugging it and plugging it back in over and over at different points during this cycle but to no avail.

I guess it's back to the store with this one. I WON'T be getting another Lumia 900.

Maybe they will have the Focus 2. I really don't want the Titan 2 becase I don't like phones THAT big.

EDIT: It appears that this is a VERY common issue. Too bad too. I was ready to be "nokia or bust" and join all the cool people who got one.

Not sure where you picked up the let your battery completely discharge routine. I've never done that with any smartphone before. I always charge mine over night. I dont go camping much anymore but if I did I would I would take an old dumbphone that will hold a charge longer and not use as much battery or not worry about being in touch and leave it at hom on the charger.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure where you picked up the let your battery completely discharge routine. I've never done that with any smartphone before. I always charge mine over night. I dont go camping much anymore but if I did I would I would take an old dumbphone that will hold a charge longer and not use as much battery or not worry about being in touch and leave it at hom on the charger.

I understand that some people don't do this, I have always heard it's good to do and I have actually seen results in improved battery life with past devices. Including newer phones like the iPhone 4S. It doesn't matter if its Li-ion or what.

The real matter here is that should your phone be bricked if it EVER for whatever reason, planned or not, your battery hit's 0%?

AKA, Do you think it's OK for a phone not to take a charge if it is ever completely drained?

Just return the damn thing

I am... as soon as AT&T is open.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Returning the phone sounds excessive. Why not try a new battery, and then not let it completely discharge before you re-charge it? Maybe it was just a bad battery.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I thought the Lumia 900 and Titan 2 were almost the same physical size?

Oh, and I too usually let a new phone completely charge and discharge a couple of times when I first get them. Never had an issue. A phone shouldn't brick just because the battery hits 0%.

Last edited:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Returning the phone sounds excessive. Why not try a new battery, and then not let it completely discharge before you re-charge it? Maybe it was just a bad battery.

I don't think it's excessive when I have read about people being on their 5th L900 and each one had a different problem. You can't just swap out the battery, you have to take it to a special shop to get that done. The phone was only a couple days old so I could have just swapped it out for another L900 for free but I went with the Titan 2.

Sometimes I am caught in a situation where the phone will die anyways so I can't have a phone that get's bricked when it does completly die. I don't know why anybody would be OK with that anyways. Maybe some people are, I am not.

I thought the Lumia 900 and Titan 2 were almost the same physical size?

Oh, and I too usually let a new phone completely charge and discharge a couple of times when I first get them. Never had an issue. A phone shouldn't brick just because the battery hits 0%.

Yeah, they are close, but the screen IS bigger on the Titan 2. I just got it and my thumb does have to move a little more to navigate around but it's nothing I cant handle. Glad to hear I am not the only one who let's their battery hit 0% after the first full charge. It's not a bad thing to do, especially to see how the phone would react to it. Glad I did it with the Lumia. I would have hated to have found that out after my 14 days of being able to return it!

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I understand that some people don't do this, I have always heard it's good to do and I have actually seen results in improved battery life with past devices. Including newer phones like the iPhone 4S. It doesn't matter if its Li-ion or what.

The real matter here is that should your phone be bricked if it EVER for whatever reason, planned or not, your battery hit's 0%?

AKA, Do you think it's OK for a phone not to take a charge if it is ever completely drained?

I am... as soon as AT&T is open.

While it is an unfortunate bug that seems to affect a number of different devices. I have never encountered it as I've never let my battery die. It's especially unfortunate as the lithium ion battery tech in new mobile devices renders this "battery conditioning" technique completely unnecessary. The new battery technology doesn't suffer from "charge memory" like the older nickel cadmium and other types of rechargeable batteries do. What it DOES suffer from, however, is a limited number of full power cycles before degradation begins. In other words, by regularly or frequently allowing your battery to die you are actually shortening its lifespan. There are numerous threads about this on this and other forums about this matter, many of which I've contributed to at great length. There are also several articles published by reputable sources available for your reading pleasure, many of which go into a great level of scientific detail to prove it. In short, please don't condition your battery. I hope you have beter luck with your next device.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
While it is an unfortunate bug that seems to affect a number of different devices. I have never encountered it as I've never let my battery die. It's especially unfortunate as the lithium ion battery tech in new mobile devices renders this "battery conditioning" technique completely unnecessary. The new battery technology doesn't suffer from "charge memory" like the older nickel cadmium and other types of rechargeable batteries do. What it DOES suffer from, however, is a limited number of full power cycles before degradation begins. In other words, by regularly or frequently allowing your battery to die you are actually shortening its lifespan. There are numerous threads about this on this and other forums about this matter, many of which I've contributed to at great length. There are also several articles published by reputable sources available for your reading pleasure, many of which go into a great level of scientific detail to prove it. In short, please don't condition your battery. I hope you have beter luck with your next device.

I have heard that before and maybe it's mind over matter I am not sure. I just like to completely drain my battery after it's first charge and about once every two months (on purpose if it doesn't happen without). It's not that I don't believe you, I understand the logic behind it completely. I just want to make sure that my phone is functional in ANY situation outside of physical damage. Also, mind over matter possibly but I do see improvement in letting the battery completely die then fully re-charging it without unplugging it if you notice a drop in battery power; even with Li-ion batteries.

Thank you for your input though, it's a good peace of mind to know for those who have an L900 that is functioning correctly!

Yea the same thing happened to me. I was able to get it to charge again by plugging it to my computer. Weird

Here is something I haven't said yet on this forum... I WAS able to get my L900 to charge with the charging cable it came with. Somebody metnioned the difference in charging frequency and maybe that's the problem. So for me it was either exchange the phone for something else or buy all new cables for home, work, car... etc and make sure they are the right wattage / amperage / whatever and test them all out.

By the time I did all that I might have been out of my 14 day exchange and I would have spent money that could easily have totaled over the $35 re-stocking fee. So I just took the easy way out and swapped the L900 for the Titan 2.

I am not here to knock on the L900, I loved it for the less-than 48 hours I had it. It was the perfect size and everything. I just don't like surprises like this.

The old saying is "burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me." well I see it as "burn me once, SEE YOU LATER!" when it comes to something technology related.

It's the whole reason I am back to WP7 in the first place. I took a hiatus and had an iPhone for a few months and an Android for a few weeks and said EFF THIS! and came back. Couldn't be happier and I am glad to be back and part of this community. Whether or not my T2 is as popular as the L900 I could care less. WP7 is where it's at!

Long reply I know.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I have heard that before and maybe it's mind over matter I am not sure. I just like to completely drain my battery after it's first charge and about once every two months (on purpose if it doesn't happen without). It's not that I don't believe you, I understand the logic behind it completely. I just want to make sure that my phone is functional in ANY situation outside of physical damage. Also, mind over matter possibly but I do see improvement in letting the battery completely die then fully re-charging it without unplugging it if you notice a drop in battery power; even with Li-ion batteries.

Thank you for your input though, it's a good peace of mind to know for those who have an L900 that is functioning correctly!

Here is something I haven't said yet on this forum... I WAS able to get my L900 to charge with the charging cable it came with. Somebody metnioned the difference in charging frequency and maybe that's the problem. So for me it was either exchange the phone for something else or buy all new cables for home, work, car... etc and make sure they are the right wattage / amperage / whatever and test them all out.

By the time I did all that I might have been out of my 14 day exchange and I would have spent money that could easily have totaled over the $35 re-stocking fee. So I just took the easy way out and swapped the L900 for the Titan 2.

I am not here to knock on the L900, I loved it for the less-than 48 hours I had it. It was the perfect size and everything. I just don't like surprises like this.

The old saying is "burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me." well I see it as "burn me once, SEE YOU LATER!" when it comes to something technology related.

It's the whole reason I am back to WP7 in the first place. I took a hiatus and had an iPhone for a few months and an Android for a few weeks and said EFF THIS! and came back. Couldn't be happier and I am glad to be back and part of this community. Whether or not my T2 is as popular as the L900 I could care less. WP7 is where it's at!

Long reply I know.
Ultimately I'm glad you're enjoying your new device, and I hope you have better luck with it than you did your 900. Whether you take my battery advice or not. Cheers!

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I've always heard that completely discharging a lith-ion battery was a terrible idea but don't take my word for it:

Over-discharging Lithium-ion

Lion should never be discharged too low, and there are several safeguards to prevent this from happening. The equipment cuts off when the battery discharges to about 3.0V/cell, stopping the current flow. If the discharge continues to about 2.70V/cell or lower, the battery’s protection circuit puts the battery into a sleep mode. This renders the pack unserviceable and a recharge with most chargers is not possible

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries/

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I've always heard that completely discharging a lith-ion battery was a terrible idea but don't take my word for it:

Over-discharging Lithium-ion

Lion should never be discharged too low, and there are several safeguards to prevent this from happening. The equipment cuts off when the battery discharges to about 3.0V/cell, stopping the current flow. If the discharge continues to about 2.70V/cell or lower, the battery?s protection circuit puts the battery into a sleep mode. This renders the pack unserviceable and a recharge with most chargers is not possible

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

That still does not mean that if somebody had no access to a charger let their phone die it should render the phone completely useless.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
My first white phone died on the charger about half the time before I took it back. The trick that made it charge again was to hold down the power and volume down until it vibrated, then immediately plug it into the charger. Worked every time, as long as I plugged it in when the white screen was on. Charged up full as normal. Of course, usually it died again that night on the charger. I ended up exchanging it.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
When your phone does that, it does NOT brick

What people need to do is when they are trying to charge their phone with no juice, hold down the power button while charging so your phone can stop trying to power on. Every windows device does that. Hold down the button for maybe 10-16 mins so it can generate some type of charge so it can power on

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion