Best thing about the 900? Insanely good reception.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
So today I realized how unbelievable the reception is on my 900. I know Nokia usually makes phones with good reception, but I didn't realize HOW good until I've used the 900 for a few weeks.

I've had the following phones in the past two years :

iPhone 3GS, Pantech Burst, Dell Streak, HTC Inspire, Samsung Focus, Samsung Focus S

I have a "dead spot" in a part of the building I work in, and every phone listed above lost reception in that spot, some quicker than others. The Samsung Windows Phones held reception better than the Androids or iPhone - but the Lumia not only HOLDS its connection for things like phone calls and texts, it KEEPS the LTE connection too.

I'm really pleasantly surprised just how good the reception is. Is everyone's experience the same or am I just lucky?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
This is why I hate it when someone says something like "Nokia's obsolete" or "Nokia's a failure," as if they don't care if Nokia instantly disappeared the next day.

Apparently people are satisfied with the crappy call quality and reception they get with some modern "high-end" smartphones.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
WiFi is also great! My 900 stays connected to my apartment WiFi, even while at our gym, where my other phones doesn't even see it on the list.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The Focus has a great WiFi antenna. I didn't realize how much I depended on it until I got my HTC Titan (which has a terrible WiFi antenna). Now I'm rocking a 900 and the WiFi antenna is even better than the Focus. I have access to more WiFi spots than I need. :D

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Yup, i love the reception on L900. Far exceeded all the WP7 devices i've owned (Focus, HD7s, and especially Titan).

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I cant remember getting a dropped call.. I remember having one a few months ago, but i think that was my GFs iPhone's fault :eek:

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's true love the reception and I can't wait for the next offering from nokia until then I will keep switching between my HOX and my 900

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Adyhooper

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 900 is best smartphone that has so many advance features. Its screen resolution, Internet connectivity, OS, high speed performance, high resolution camera, internal memory storage capacitor, multimedia capacity, Standard Li-ion etc are good things for Nokia Lumia 900.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear Nokia still has primo RF. I've owned more Nokia phones than any other maker over the years and it bothers me personally to see them struggle. I hope they pull out from their troubles. Also, being a long time windows mobile fan from way back I'm following from the side lines with much interest. I may pick up and investigate one of the WP8 devices if Verizon gets one possibly down the road. In the meantime I shall enjoy them vicariously thru your experiences. Thanks.

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Speech to text in messaging and voice commands is definitely something worth mentioning too!

Last edited:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
So today I realized how unbelievable the reception is on my 900. I know Nokia usually makes phones with good reception, but I didn't realize HOW good until I've used the 900 for a few weeks.

I've had the following phones in the past two years :

iPhone 3GS, Pantech Burst, Dell Streak, HTC Inspire, Samsung Focus, Samsung Focus S

I have a "dead spot" in a part of the building I work in, and every phone listed above lost reception in that spot, some quicker than others. The Samsung Windows Phones held reception better than the Androids or iPhone - but the Lumia not only HOLDS its connection for things like phone calls and texts, it KEEPS the LTE connection too.

I'm really pleasantly surprised just how good the reception is. Is everyone's experience the same or am I just lucky?

Hey Kev, so how's the reception of the Titan II?

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey Kev, so how's the reception of the Titan II?

Not as good as the Lumia. :D

But it's the second best of the WP7 devices I've owned. The call quality is clear and I havent had any problems with WiFi or Bluetooth. Where I'd be on something like 2 bars of LTE in a certain spot with the Lumia, I might now only have 1 bar, or full bars of HSPA, with the TII.

How do you think they compare?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Not as good as the Lumia. :D

But it's the second best of the WP7 devices I've owned. The call quality is clear and I havent had any problems with WiFi or Bluetooth. Where I'd be on something like 2 bars of LTE in a certain spot with the Lumia, I might now only have 1 bar, or full bars of HSPA, with the TII.

How do you think they compare?

Well I'm on Straight Talk, so no LTE for me, just HSPA. It's weird because it actually seems like my reception can be worse at times. My home gets a pretty good signal from AT&T, most phones will show 3-4 bars inside, and 4-5 bars outside. I don't think I've ever seen one bar of signal in my house on the Titan II, but occasionally I'll see it on the Lumia--which is weird because several seconds later in the same spot it'll go back up to three bars. I think I usually see four bars on the Titan II in my room, while the Lumia usually gets three, only sometimes four. So I'm not sure what's going on here, but I'll hold off on a conclusion until I take it to a known low signal area and see if it'll pick up signal and hold a call.

Plus, signal bars aren't really a great way to compare RF reception.

Anyway, no matter how many bars I have on the Lumia at home, call quality is superb.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the reception and overall call quality of the Nokia is great. I still get 2 places where I get a dropped call most of the time, but no phone I have ever used has been able to keep connection in those places so I am not surprised. Mostly I love the call quality, its good and loud, and for those like me that are a bit hard of hearing, its a god send.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Reception is awesome. In places where my 4s couldn't get a signal and had no internet access, the 900 works great!

My wife actually was surprised, in the back office where she works is a dead zone where no cell phones work... Except for her 900. She about dropped a load when she was back there and a text came through from me. She then made a call to see if that work and it did.

Nokia seems to know how to make an antenna better than anyone else.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05