Why I didn't wait for WP8

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I love my Trophy and Verizon's coverage. Hate their pricing. While I love AT&T's phones, there is no chance in h3ll, I'd ever switch to them. Hate their network more than I hate Verizon's pricing. Though, the 900 almost convinced me to make the switch. It is a beautiful phone.

AT&T's pricing is pretty terrible.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
if you pay for data on any of the major carriers you are pretty much a rube, so not sure saying Verizon is better than ATT means much.

N4OSX

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I made the same choice you did, I went ahead and picked up the Lumia. WP 7.5 is solid and polished enough, and seriously - you can always opt to just buy the next one on an early upgrade if you really want it. And who knows, there's at least a chance that Nokia will reconsider that decision and make WP8 available on the Lumia. Wouldn't be the first time... ;)

suvastallions

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I made the same choice you did, I went ahead and picked up the Lumia. WP 7.5 is solid and polished enough, and seriously - you can always opt to just buy the next one on an early upgrade if you really want it. And who knows, there's at least a chance that Nokia will reconsider that decision and make WP8 available on the Lumia. Wouldn't be the first time... ;)

Unfortunately WP8 runs on different/higher hardware specs.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I just cancel my Verizon. I will pay early termination fee but finally free. If you need phone cases chargers screen protector I'm shopping from Helloo Erin's Corner They have best price.
Gotta say I'm in the same boat as the OP. I've been agonizing over upgrading my OG Focus or waiting for WP8 - particularly as I'm off contract and have no desire to get locked back in - essentially meaning I'm buying phones at a higher premium.

I had my dollars stashed away but ultimately decided to spend some of those dollars on a NEW Samsung Focus S that I picked up for $220.

I still think the Focus S was one of the best phones released for this generation. It's slim, sexy and the screen is simply gorgeous.

I debated a Lumia but after actually handling one decided it was just a bit too bulky. I think Nokia could have given that phone a slimmer chassis and it would have been even better - however, here's hoping the WP8 Nokia's are going to push the boundaries of beautiful phone design right? If anyone can do it, Nokia can.

Ultimately I've ended up with a gorgeous new phone (I really wanted that 4.3" screen size), the faster processor, a FFC, an upgraded camera and while I may not have all the Nokia goodies the Lumia line is getting - my phone is fully unlocked with root access and I can run all the awesome homebrew apps I want! :D Plus, wy wife inherits my OG Focus (still in mint condition as I baby my phones) and it gets her off the POS LG Optimus One Android phone she was using. WINNING! :D

So to the OP I say - excellent choice man! Enjoy your phone for what it is now, and by the time you (and me) are ready to jump into WP8, they'll hopefully have ironed out the kinks and be releasing simply stunning hardware. :cool:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
What an outstanding thread....

As I love my Focus S, and am excited for 7.8, I will be in no hurry to get a WP8 until the perfect device hits. I am pretty sure I won't wait until upgrade day in November, 2014 for one, but the outstanding device I am typing on right now will keep me happy until I find the one I can't say "no" to.

Enjoy your 900. And thanks for the level headed, enthusiastic post!!!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I had my dollars stashed away but ultimately decided to spend some of those dollars on a NEW Samsung Focus S that I picked up for $220.

I still think the Focus S was one of the best phones released for this generation. It's slim, sexy and the screen is simply gorgeous.

imately I've ended up with a gorgeous new phone (I really wanted that 4.3" screen size), the faster processor, a FFC, an upgraded camera and while I may not have all the Nokia goodies the Lumia line is getting - my phone is fully unlocked with root access and I can run all the awesome homebrew apps I want! :D Plus, wy wife inherits my OG Focus (still in mint condition as I baby my phones) and it gets her off the POS LG Optimus One Android phone she was using. WINNING! :D

A two Samsung WP household??? Way to go!!

Enjoy that "S", and I hope your wife is loving her new (old) Focus!!

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
The Lumia 900 is one of the best WP7.5 devices, which for me makes it one of the best smartphones available right now.

You don't really need to justify buying it (and according to Nokia, they haven't seen a drop off in 900 sales after the no WP8 upgrade announcement)

jusdis

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Just switched and ordered my new 900 too. I've been doing my research and I'm really liking this windows os. I as well could not wait for windows 8. When that time comes, if it worth it to me, I will upgrade. I don't mind waiting a few extra months for bugs to be worked out and features to be added. So excited, I can't even wait the three to five business days it takes to ship.

Got it!!!! I started thinking this was a good way to get me prepared for windows 8. A cheaper way of testing out windows phone OS without dropping full price for a brand new windows 8 device. Gotta say I'm pretty impressed after only a couple hours. Windows 8 here I come!
Stay tuned for more reviews and questions. Big learning curve here coming from BlackBerry.

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Just got one also ...

My original Focus v1.3 finally bought the farm last week and faced with going without for 3 months I plunked down some $$ for an out of contract upgrade and absolutely love my new black Lumia 900. The phone is light years ahead of my old focus, the screen is fantastic and the exclusive Nokia Apps are icing on the cake. Why did I wait so long?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Got my 900 last night. Glad i switched now. Wife and i are up for a full upgrade in march... Figured we could switch now and jump to 8 using upgrade later. That way Gen 1, 8 devices will be out and we should have news on later models, hopefully a preview.

I'm actually enjoying my phone again. :-D

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Finchee

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been agonizing over buying a Lumia 900 (off contract, probably at Amazon Wireless?) next week versus just waiting for WP8 devices to come out. This thread is making me lean towards just buying the Lumia, since people seem happy with it even with the impending launch of WP8.

jusdis

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
For me it was the fact that I've never used a Windows Phone. My end goal is to pick up a Windows Phone 8 but I figured if I can get a lumia for the price I paid for it, why not try it out and see if I actually like the Windows Phone OS first. instead of waiting and dropping hundreds of dollars on a phone that I may or may not enjoy. I have never bought a phone on contract so dropping full price on phones that I may or may not want to keep can get a little pricey.
I must say though that after a month of using this L900....im hooked. I will definitely be upgrading to windows Phone 8!

webdave

Apr 24, 2004
Visit site
I've been agonizing over buying a Lumia 900 (off contract, probably at Amazon Wireless?) next week versus just waiting for WP8 devices to come out. This thread is making me lean towards just buying the Lumia, since people seem happy with it even with the impending launch of WP8.

FYI when I checked last week the Lumia 900 was $399 off contract at AT&T and $450 at Amazon Wireless. Negri Electronics has them for around $360. I ended up getting one new in box on Ebay for $300.

Finchee

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
FYI when I checked last week the Lumia 900 was $399 off contract at AT&T and $450 at Amazon Wireless. Negri Electronics has them for around $360. I ended up getting one new in box on Ebay for $300.

I'm a bit wary of buying from eBay but I do recognize that they have the best prices on the Lumia 900. Decisions decisions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte