I've Made A Huge Mistake

EvanKr

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm afraid that I may have made a huge mistake. Today I signed a new 3 year contract with a Lumia 900 on Rogers.

I'm wondering if I should return the phone and hold out for WP8, or stick with the 900. The phone is for my mother, who doesn't need the latest and greatest so the 900 would be sufficient and pretty future proof, but I don't want to be giving her an outdated phone. She previously had a 900 and loved it, but after it got water damaged she had to buy out the contract and sign a new one.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now, she needs a new phone quickly as it's essentially a necessity for her work, so I don't know if she could wait for another 2 months before a new phone's available, and even then it would most likely be at a higher price.

What would you guys recommend doing, keeping the 900, or holding out for Nokia's WP8 lineup?

Thanks,
-Evan

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
If she doesn't need the latest and greatest and liked the previous 900, then for sure keep it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

EvanKr

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Is the phone for you or your mom? Cause if she's happy then why does anything else matter?

It doesn't really matter, but I'm worried about her seeing an advert for a "Lumia 901" or whatever it will be called in a few months, and her being disappointed that she invested in a 900.

I think that I'll end up keeping it, though, as long as she's happy I'm happy. However, I think that I'll hold out for a Nokia WP8 handset, I don't mind waiting the few months for a premium product.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
How about asking her? Talk about how she will be using the phone, what apps, if any, she uses on a regular basis, and let her know the situation with WP8.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If she can't wait, then you have your answer. If she can, I say wait for WP8 handsets. Three years is a long time to be stuck with a phone.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the only mistake I see here is the 3 year contract. The 900 is the best WP on the market right now in my opinion and I'd still recommend it for people that need a phone now but if they can wait a couple more months I definitly tell them to do wait and look at the WP8 devices.

EDIT: The only reason I say 3 years is a mistake is because like the others said 3 years is a lifetime.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't really matter, but I'm worried about her seeing an advert for a "Lumia 901" or whatever it will be called in a few months, and her being disappointed that she invested in a 900.

I think that I'll end up keeping it, though, as long as she's happy I'm happy. However, I think that I'll hold out for a Nokia WP8 handset, I don't mind waiting the few months for a premium product.

That's just like my dad. LOL! Was gonna buy him the Radar. The moment he saw Xperia S, he jumped. "What phone is That?" "Nothing dad...that's not a phone...that's a...a...shaving kit I guess..why don't you see the Radar...see? Its cool ain't it.." "What phone is THAT..."

He ended up buying the Xperia S. Lol!

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

diplomat696

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
keep it, that phone will be fine for your moms for 3 years, my wife and mother in law both have the 900 and love it but are on 2 year contracts from April so not quite such a long contract period.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if I should return the phone and hold out for WP8
Yes. I sincerely doubt Microsoft will be patching WP7 for much longer, and even mothers can appreciate an extra feature or two. Skype, for one, is huge - I think mine would be much happier if she had a functional Skype client on her Lumia 800 (and a FFC at that).

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Skype is functional on the 900

No it's not unless you reaaally stretch the meaning of "functional". The whole point of Skype is, you know, to make calls. And to receive them. And you can't do that on WP7, because well, I don't think you spend the whole day with your phone in your hand looking at the Skype application running.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos