QR scanner unable to focus

bdubelyew

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I got my 900 the day it was released (replaced my Android) and have always been satisfied with my phone. However, one complaint I have always had with my phone is the inability for the camera to focus on anything close-up. Within maybe a foot or so it refuses to focus. For example, I can't take a picture of a receipt and be able to read any of the text. Compared to my friends Focus-S and another's iPhone 4 its really quite pitiful.

In a seemingly related problem, its impossible for me to scan a QR that is not positively massive. When I open the native QR scanner and put it in range I seem to have the same problem of not being able to focus well enough to register the QR for me. I have tried dozens of different ones to no avail.

I assumed this was a fault of the camera itself, which research has shown me is quite lacking. However, after searching I haven't found anyone else mention having the same problem. My front facing camera takes a much better close up picture than the rear but that doesn't help my inability to scan a QR.

Is anyone else able to scan normal sized QRs with their L900?
*Note, I haven't updated to Tango yet, in which some claim their camera works better, only because I'm currently traveling and haven't had a chance to plug in yet.

Thanks

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I've never had that problem, been using it pretty regularly since I finally got a smartphone of this caliber. The QR codes I've scanned have been placed close enough to the screen to fill up almost the entire screen, so that's like an inch or two away from the camera. It's also been able to read QR codes from about half a foot away.

bdubelyew

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I have only ever been able to get one read, it was nearly triple the size of a usual QR. I have tried them filling up the screen with no luck, as well as from a distance. When I get to a distance where it becomes clear, it seems to be too far away to scan it, taking about 1/4 of the screen up.

bdubelyew

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I've taken a picture to show you what kind of a quality im talking about with this, I will upload it when I get home so you can see just how bad it is.

Thanks

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Not had any problems with reading QR or barcodes pre-Tango. I have used Handyscan to photograph magazine clippings and contracts and have no problem reading the fine print when I zoom in.

Have you tried setting your focus mode to Macro.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro