Leaving Sprint, going to AT&T

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm leaving Sprint because their current efforts to beef up their network has left me with spotty coverage at best. I'm generally locked into 1x or I'm romaing when I'm in my town/county/state, but if I take a 20 minute drive into the next state over (Missouri) I'm waist deep in 4G and have abundant 3G coverage until I hit some of the most annoying deap spots I've had with any carrier.

I think the Lumia 900 rocks as-is and I wouldn't do too much with it to change it other than allow it to be upgradeable to WP 8. I'm going from a Nexus S 4G (pure Google experience) to this device. Any thoughts on the switch? If AT&T releases better phones 3-6 months from now I can always revisit the issue and purchase an unlocked device. I don't mind the contract, either. $50 for a solid phone makes sense and Sprint is forcing my hand to cancel service and go with another carrier by giving me 10 days to return my old phone to terminate my contract.

I actually don't like the Galaxy S III as much as I thought I would, and I'm leery of the HTC One X because of its Sense UI. If I stuck it out with Android I would look at the Atrix HD, but for Windows Phone I definitely want the Lumia. How are Google services on Windows Phone? It's primarily the Calendar / Contacts / Email that I'm concerned with. Google+ is nice and all but Facebook/Twitter will work for me and I can still access Dropbox.

I don't have a large investment in Android software. (~$30 at most) If I had to rebuild it on Windows Phone I would scale back some. The next device I get I don't want to root / modify too much because it isn't worth the hassle (for me) anymore.

Dragon016

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I own the Lumia 900 and have AT&T. When I near Sarpy County here in New Brass Key, they are the test bed for the 4G LTE, the LTE speeds are out of this world and I am never happier when here. Outside of this testbed though my LTE changes to 4G (which I would assume is that wierd hspa+ stuff), yet my speeds are far better than my wife's iPhone 4S. This phone kills her iPhone in speeds and when we go out to eat she asks me for my phone. Mine also last far longer than hers as far as battery life is concerned. I can't complain. Yes, I will not be able to upgrade to the WP8, but hey, it'll last me until next year when I do upgrade. I have to get that Wii U first, then a new Windows Phone. :D

For your second concern, AT&T works well in the city, but there are out of the city areas where my friends with Alltel/Verizon get full bars and I get nothing. It is so frustrating, you'd think AT&T would put state parks in their coverage zone, but many of them around here are dead zones for me. Understand AT&Ts coverage in your area first, ask friends and/or family how they like their coverage. If they are happy, I say geaux for it, AT&T isn't all that bad honestly. I can't complain...

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I left Sprint when the Lumia 900 came out. Google services such as email calendar and contacts work great but beyond those it's ok. You do need to go to m.google.com/sync to setup multiple calendars to sync after you get the device but I believe you have to do the same on the iPhone. Facebook and twitter work well with the builtin support but the real apps fall a bit short. It is a big change switching from Android to WP but I think you will find the speed and stability worth it. And even though I am no where near you, AT&T coverage is good around here but can get a bit spotty in crowded locations which is annoying but Sprint was no better.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
We don't have LTE in my town, but 10 minutes over we are neck deep in LTE and once I get into St. Louis I'll have LTE goodness. The sad thing is that there is a tower within 4 blocks of my house; it's not fully operational and cannot handle the load from the local residents as a result. Sprint was content on giving me a $200 credit ($100 upfront, $25 for four months thereafter) to keep me quiet about it but my wife lives and works in town and cannot get a signal. She's literally staring out the window of her office at the tower and looking down at her phone that is supposedly roaming, and draining the battery rapidly.

She is on her third Motorola Photon 4G. I'm on my second Nexus but that's because I swapped to a Photon because I was curious to see if they were truly that bad. I actually liked the Photon, so the Atrix HD is on my short list of devices. I played with an Atrix, One X, Galaxy S 3 and the Lumia in store and compared to my Nexus. The Lumia was smooth and kept up with every device - and I say kept up but I really mean that there was no lag on the device.

I think I might go on my lunch hour to the AT&T store and just get the phone. :p :D

tbonecopper

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
why go with ATT when you can go with Straight Talk for less and still get ATT coverage? Contracts are for simpletons.
Because you can't get LTE on StraightTalk and they have worse data limits than AT&T. Sure, they say it's unlimited, but if you sniff around HowardForums, there's an entire thread, which is quite long, detailing people getting cut off after 1 or 2 gigs.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I'm leaving Sprint because their current efforts to beef up their network has left me with spotty coverage at best. I'm generally locked into 1x or I'm romaing when I'm in my town/county/state, but if I take a 20 minute drive into the next state over (Missouri) I'm waist deep in 4G and have abundant 3G coverage until I hit some of the most annoying deap spots I've had with any carrier.

I think the Lumia 900 rocks as-is and I wouldn't do too much with it to change it other than allow it to be upgradeable to WP 8. I'm going from a Nexus S 4G (pure Google experience) to this device. Any thoughts on the switch? If AT&T releases better phones 3-6 months from now I can always revisit the issue and purchase an unlocked device. I don't mind the contract, either. $50 for a solid phone makes sense and Sprint is forcing my hand to cancel service and go with another carrier by giving me 10 days to return my old phone to terminate my contract.

I actually don't like the Galaxy S III as much as I thought I would, and I'm leery of the HTC One X because of its Sense UI. If I stuck it out with Android I would look at the Atrix HD, but for Windows Phone I definitely want the Lumia. How are Google services on Windows Phone? It's primarily the Calendar / Contacts / Email that I'm concerned with. Google+ is nice and all but Facebook/Twitter will work for me and I can still access Dropbox.

I don't have a large investment in Android software. (~$30 at most) If I had to rebuild it on Windows Phone I would scale back some. The next device I get I don't want to root / modify too much because it isn't worth the hassle (for me) anymore.

The L 900 is a penny on Amazon with new contract from what I understand. I got mine at Sams Club for 48.88 several months ago.Theres an article on Mary Jo Foleys site that says that the new outlook.com made the authors google mail work again. I was reading it earlier today. I dont use google services I have a hotmail account with outlook.com alias at work and a yahoo email address for personal.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I just moved to AT&T from Sprint a little over a month ago. After dealing with very buggy Android devices (epic x3, Photon x3, epic II), and then dealing with horrible 3G on my Arrive I couldn't take it any more. I have been very happy with the service here. Data is on par with WiMax, but without the dead zones. I am paying more being by myself, and not on a family plan, but it is well worth it to me. :)

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
why go with ATT when you can go with Straight Talk for less and still get ATT coverage? Contracts are for simpletons.

Possibly because like myself some people can make choices for themselves, and possibly a contract was what was best for them. The only simpleton is the person that thinks their way is the only way.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

I switched from Sprint and went with AT&T because Sprint data just flat out blows. Anyways, I avoided straight talk for a couple reasons... I hate WalMart (personal reasons) and yeah, i don't really care for LTE or need it but it's nice to know it's there. Plus internet sharing is great.

Because you can't get LTE on StraightTalk and they have worse data limits than AT&T. Sure, they say it's unlimited, but if you sniff around HowardForums, there's an entire thread, which is quite long, detailing people getting cut off after 1 or 2 gigs.

Much like T-Mobile and their "unlimited data" which downgrades your speeds after a certain amount.

Possibly because like myself some people can make choices for themselves, and possibly a contract was what was best for them. The only simpleton is the person that thinks their way is the only way.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

A-men! I hate it when people try to force their view.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I ponied up the dough for the Lumia in store. I get a nice discount through work on access and acessories on top of free activation. My experience in the AT&T store was lightyears ahead of anything I've had in most wireless stores.

The Lumia is just....awesome. The size of the phone will take me a little getting used to but I already love how simple the phone is to use. Data speeds blow away Sprint, and call quality....oh Nokia how I have missed you so! I worked for Cingular years back when they were still Southwestern Bell Mobile Systems in the midwest, and Nokia devices were bread and butter products. I could never really complain about call quality on those devices.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The only simpleton is the person that thinks their way is the only way.

So many people in so many places on the internet need to learn this. Well said! :-D

As far as the OP's question, I switched from Verizon to AT&T a few months ago (in the Boston area) and have been pleasantly surprised that not only is their coverage just as good in my home and work areas, but the speeds are noticeably better. That plus the joy of the Lumia 900 and Windows Phone has me very happy.

I have two mobile phones and my original plan was to switch one over to Lumia/WP7 and keep my HOX, but I liked the Lumia & WP so much I've now gone with TWO Lumia 900s (one black, one cyan) and couldn't be happier. I'll upgrade one of them to a Nokia WP8 device when I can, but am very happy with my decision.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I went with white, not realizing how glossy it was. I like the matte feel of the black and cyan, but the white is dramatic and seperates it from other devices.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb