900 doesn't always charge

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I try to charge the phone, its hit or miss once I plug it in. Sometimes I have to unplug it a few times before it starts to charge.

I've had it since the end of may. Is this something that would be covered under a warranty of some kind?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Happens to me occasionally when I plug in to one of my USB portable chargers, but always works (after a few seconds) when I plug into the wall charger. So not sure if it's a cable or the phone. Unplugging/plugging back in always resolves it though.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Happens to me occasionally as well, but starts charging after a few seconds. You could technically envoke the 1 year mftr. warranty and have AT&T send you a new one, however its hit and miss with getting a new one instead of a refurb....not to mention your replacement Lumia may or may not have other issues or even cosmetic imperfections such as minor scratches (have had this happen to me with AT&T Warranty Dept. before).

I say if everything else is gravy with the phone, and the charging this only happens occasionally, but still charges, then dont have it swapped just yet.

Just my 2 cents....

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Happens to me occasionally as well, but starts charging after a few seconds. You could technically envoke the 1 year mftr. warranty and have AT&T send you a new one, however its hit and miss with getting a new one instead of a refurb....not to mention your replacement Lumia may or may not have other issues or even cosmetic imperfections such as minor scratches (have had this happen to me with AT&T Warranty Dept. before).

I say if everything else is gravy with the phone, and the charging this only happens occasionally, but still charges, then dont have it swapped just yet.

Just my 2 cents....

Or you can always go to Nokia directly instead of through AT&T. Whatever floats your boat.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I had to return my first 900 because it wouldn't charge. It was replaced by AT&T. Then last week my 900 wouldn't charge so I switched to an aftermarket cable with the Nokia wall charger. It worked. But last night it wont charge at all. I got to work this AM and tried using a friends USB cable. It works. But I wrote Nokia an email. My hunch is that they will refer me to AT&T again. I really want a 920, but I really dont want to deal with issues like this. I've seen other people with similar issues on the forums at Nokia.com. But it doesn't seem to be epidemic. So I'm a little iffy on the 920. If AT&T replaces this one too (it is still under warrenty) and it has the same problem. I will be getting HTC for my next windows phone.

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine always charges on the wall charger, but it doesn't always connect with my computer. Sometimes I'll have to replug it. I've had that issue with other USB items though, so I never considered it specific to my 900.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Contact Nokia and see what they suggest. They may differ to AT&T or they may not. Also, I would imagine as Lumia 900 units fail 6-8 months from now they will be replaced with Lumia 920's.

KarateDad

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I try to charge the phone, its hit or miss once I plug it in. Sometimes I have to unplug it a few times before it starts to charge.

I've had it since the end of may. Is this something that would be covered under a warranty of some kind?
This was happening to me, and it was getting worse and worse. I eventually changed chargers, and it hasn't happened since. Turns out it was a bad USB cable.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
My N8 sometimes does the same when using the USB charger, I guess the Lumia doesnt have the old mini charger plug anymore but charges with just USB?

However with the "normal mini plug" it always charges, so it's limited to charging through the usb port.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Probably refurbished 900's actually, which is fair.

My experience:

If a phone is physically damaged - warranty is voided and insurance kicks in. If Asurion or whomever the provider is has no stock you are generally offered a comparable model if not the exact model brand new. I got the Incredible towards the end of its life cycle with Verizon and folks were talking about the Incredible 2. The Incredible 2 came out and I admit I was a bit jealous of the more refined design. I broke my phone, paid the insurance claim and took advantage of the brand new Incredible 2 insurance replacement.

Do I suggest people do this? No.

However, if your phone is damaged it should be replaced. Granted, if they have Lumia 900's it should be the Lumia 900. If they are out, it shouldn't be a Titan 2 or a Samsung Focus. If they went that route it might as well be a Pantec Burst or a Nokia 3360.

I won't damage my phone again for the purpose of getting an upgrade:

1) My Lumia works 100% out of the box.
2) My Lumia was just recently unlocked - why would I give that up?
3) I got a cyan one and it is blemish free.

igotsnakeeyes

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
My phone doesn't always charge either. I have this as my work phone and it gets really annoying when it fails to charge sometimes randomly. I've managed to narrow it down somewhat that for me it never charges if I've connected it to an extension instead of a wall socket. But when on a wall socket it's sometimes a hit or miss. I have to keep my personal iPhone with me which has proved to be my savior all the time. Even as we speak I kept in on charge all night but it didn't charge and refuses to start. I have a long drive today and I needed it. I liked the phones other features its not as easy or functional as the iPhone but still a good phone but after seeing so many to through this same issue I may just replace this and get an iPhone for work too.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Mine is sometimes slow to start charging. I will plug it in anmd theres a pause of a couple of seconds then the screen lights up and it will either buzz or ding when it starts charging. It may not ne normal but Ive gotten used to the behavior and it doesnt bother me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo