Purchased a new Lumia 900

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday only I purchased a new Lumia 900. Although I am new to WP 7.5 so I am still exploring it. After moving form Nokia N900 there are something that I admire something that i hate. For instance installing 100MB zune for transferring files is bit cumbersome compared to previously used Nokia PC Suit.

I have some queries...

1) I am able to see music, videos and pictures in zune. But how can I copy contacts from my PC to Lumia 900 using zune?

2) In addition to that is there a way I can exit music player without restarting a device? Once I start music player with some music I have to pause it. Even if I exit it keeps on playing.

3) Can someone suggest me a good wired / wireless over head Headset compatible with Lumia 900 in which all the buttons (example: play, pause, rew, ffd, call attend / cancel and valule) of that head should work?

4) Can i use .wav files as ringtones?

5) Is it possible to use my Lumia 900 as a Wifi hotspot?

Last edited:

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
To answer #5, yes it is possible to use it as a hotspot. The details will vary by carrier. For example, if you're using AT&T, then you can use it as a hotspot if you choose the 5gb/month plan. (You turn it on under settings/internet sharing)

I use mine as a hotspot all the time, and it works very well! :)

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
For number 4, you can't use WAV. Not sure why you would want to, I'd think the file would be pretty big since WAV is uncompressed.

You'd have to convert it to WMA or MP3 instructions using Zune is here:

Add or create ringtones | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

And regarding number 1:

How do I get contacts onto my phone? | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

I'm not sure how your contacts are on your PC, but if you're using Outlook and your contacts are there, it's saying you need to transfer those to your Windows Live ID (or I guess it would be Microsoft Account now) first, then it'll sync to your phone (via the internet).

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
For number 4, you can't use WAV. Not sure why you would want to, I'd think the file would be pretty big since WAV is uncompressed.

You'd have to convert it to WMA or MP3 instructions using Zune is here:

Add or create ringtones | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

And regarding number 1:

How do I get contacts onto my phone? | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

I'm not sure how your contacts are on your PC, but if you're using Outlook and your contacts are there, it's saying you need to transfer those to your Windows Live ID (or I guess it would be Microsoft Account now) first, then it'll sync to your phone (via the internet).

You are right. WAV file is not a good option. Since I have a good collection of MP3 songs but when I got to Settings>Ringtone it doesn't display those MP3 files in the list. So How can I make an MP3 song as a ringtone?

And thanks for the contacts help. I used hotmail outlook connector and synchronized my contacts with my Windows Live ID into Outlook which I use with my Lumia and it worked. Although it took some time for those changes to take place in my Lumia. Maybe because I was connected with PC using Zune on Wifi.

I have another query. How can I connect my Lumia with PC using Zune on Wifi? By simply connecting with the same WiFi router with which PC is connected will work? I didn't seem to work in my case. In Zune it was showing the device in Zune but I was unable to browse any thing untill I connected using USB cable

Last edited:

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
In addition can you suggest me ways to save battery? I turn Wifi, and bluetooth off when not using and I've set screen brightness to automatic and screen time out to 30 seconds. Isn't that sufficient?

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
For number 3. I have a slightly older version of the Motorola SD10 Bluetooth headphones that have all those features and I even wear mine with an open face helmet on my loud Harley Davidson with success. I use them to dictate text messages when I am at stops and I can listen to music comfortably while riding.

I got mine from newegg

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e....aspx%3FItem%3DN82E16875982390&token=mpxOiznJ

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
For the ringtones, try the steps given in this tutorial. You will not need to use Audacity if you already have the ringtones saved as .mp3. You will just need to add them to Zune in the genre "ringtone".

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
For the ringtones, try the steps given in this tutorial. You will not need to use Audacity if you already have the ringtones saved as .mp3. You will just need to add them to Zune in the genre "ringtone".

Looks like those MP3 files don't follow this notion...

1) Less than 40 seconds.
2) Less than 1 MB.

Thats why not getting displayed in the list. Is there a way to JAILBREAK this rule?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Looks like those MP3 files don't follow this notion...

1) Less than 40 seconds.
2) Less than 1 MB.

Thats why not getting displayed in the list. Is there a way to JAILBREAK this rule?
For #1, I would use Audacity to make them shorter. Your voicemail will kick in in much less time than 40 seconds anyway.

For #2, convert the ringtones to a lower bit-rate if making them less than 40 seconds does not make them less than 1 MB.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Is there an application (like battery defender of Android) which has the option of directly...

1) Enable / Disable Wifi
2) Enable / Disable Network internet
3) Enable / Disable GPS

I usually disable all these settings when not using so that I an save battery life. Now I was looking for an application which has these 3 things turned on and off in one go because doing it manually through settings is time consuming.

Last edited:

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
For #1, I would use Audacity to make them shorter. Your voicemail will kick in in much less time than 40 seconds anyway.

For #2, convert the ringtones to a lower bit-rate if making them less than 40 seconds does not make them less than 1 MB.

I myself have blaze media pro to do that :) Making a file less than 40 sec makes sense but reducing the bit rate might degrade the quality.

Anyways thanks for the help

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday only I purchased a new Lumia 900. Although I am new to WP 7.5 so I am still exploring it. After moving form Nokia N900 there are something that I admire something that i hate. For instance installing 100MB zune for transferring files is bit cumbersome compared to previously used Nokia PC Suit.

I have some queries...

1) I am able to see music, videos and pictures in zune. But how can I copy contacts from my PC to Lumia 900 using zune?

2) In addition to that is there a way I can exit music player without restarting a device? Once I start music player with some music I have to pause it. Even if I exit it keeps on playing.

3) Can someone suggest me a good wired / wireless over head Headset compatible with Lumia 900 in which all the buttons (example: play, pause, rew, ffd, call attend / cancel and valule) of that head should work?

4) Can i use .wav files as ringtones?

5) Is it possible to use my Lumia 900 as a Wifi hotspot?

welcome to WP! Great OS, great phone choice!

What color?

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I myself have blaze media pro to do that :) Making a file less than 40 sec makes sense but reducing the bit rate might degrade the quality.

Anyways thanks for the help

Degraded quality should not be an issue with ringtones. The speakers on phones are not exactly audiophile quality. When the phone is ringing as long as one hears the ringtone, that's about all that matters.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Is there an application (like battery defender of Android) which has the option of directly...

1) Enable / Disable Wifi
2) Enable / Disable Network internet
3) Enable / Disable GPS

I usually disable all these settings when not using so that I an save battery life. Now I was looking for an application which has these 3 things turned on and off in one go because doing it manually through settings is time consuming.

Most known are Connectivity Shortcuts, Toggle, and Network Dashboard. Alternatively, search for "shortcut" in the Marketplace and you'll find others that allow for more added functionality.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
For number 3. I have a slightly older version of the Motorola SD10 Bluetooth headphones that have all those features and I even wear mine with an open face helmet on my loud Harley Davidson with success. I use them to dictate text messages when I am at stops and I can listen to music comfortably while riding.

I got mine from newegg

Newegg.ca - Black Red Motorola S10-HD Bluetooth Stereo Headphone w/ Comfortable Sweat Proof Design

Thank you. How are Nokia's Purity WH-930 headsets?

Most known are Connectivity Shortcuts, Toggle, and Network Dashboard. Alternatively, search for "shortcut" in the Marketplace and you'll find others that allow for more added functionality.

How can I connect my Lumia with PC using Zune on Wifi? By simply connecting with the same WiFi router with which PC is connected will work? I didn't seem to work in my case. In Zune it was showing the device in Zune but I was unable to browse any thing untill I connected using USB cable

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

How can I connect my Lumia with PC using Zune on Wifi? By simply connecting with the same WiFi router with which PC is connected will work? I didn't seem to work in my case. In Zune it was showing the device in Zune but I was unable to browse any thing untill I connected using USB cable
These here are the actual model of headphones I have:
*Edit - mine didn't come with the ipod adapter, so that may explain the cheaper price I paid.
MOTOROKR

Based on the reviews on newegg I was a bit skeptical, but I bought them on sale on newegg.ca (prices are likely different in Canada) for a measly 40 bucks brand new. I thought that if they are going to break easily or not work well, it was only 40 bucks. But they work fine for me.

If you are an audiophile you may not like them as they don't go crazy loud and they add a bit more thickness to the bass artificially.

I'm a metalhead, so I expected them to not be loud enough for me. I want my music so loud it makes the neighbor's head hurt. But I'm pretty pleased with them. If I wanted crazy good sound, I would use wired.

I've never tried the purity headsets but apparently they are very nice.

You can connect your Lumia to the PC wirelessly, you have to configure it in the settings of zune while the phone is connected via USB and is actively on the wireless network.

The caveat to this feature is that the phone needs to be plugged in and charging for at least 10 minutes before it will make a connection to the PC. This is really only useful for nightly updates of podcast subscriptions, syncing photos and video taking from the day, and when you wanna quickly slam a few albums on the phone for the next day but don't feel like plugging it in at that moment.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

Zemote. You can see all of the music and video you have on your PC, and stream it on your phone

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)