Nokia Creative Suite Panorama

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I've been reading about the 'revolutionary' panorama feature on the iPhone 5 which I've been using for quite some time on the Nokia ;) I do have a question about the output of the panorama. The reviews say the iPhone 5 has the panorama as a 28 megapixel photo. Does anyone know the quality of the Nokia output? All I know is that I submitted it to Walgreen's website to have a big photo made and it said the quality was too low, and I noticed the size of the file was quite small.

Thanks for any information.

idahoprime

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I just did some tests with a panoramic shot using the Nokia Creative Studio. First i emailed the picture to myself, it was only 1629x421, which is only about 1 megapixel. But then i was patient and properly synced my phone to my computer. The panorama that synced ended up being 5800x1499, which is about 9 megapixels. Still nowhere near the 28MP of the iphone's but 9 MP should be plenty big enough to have it blown up. Maybe somehow you ended up with the resized version. ??? hope that helps

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I just did some tests with a panoramic shot using the Nokia Creative Studio. First i emailed the picture to myself, it was only 1629x421, which is only about 1 megapixel. But then i was patient and properly synced my phone to my computer. The panorama that synced ended up being 5800x1499, which is about 9 megapixels. Still nowhere near the 28MP of the iphone's but 9 MP should be plenty big enough to have it blown up. Maybe somehow you ended up with the resized version. ??? hope that helps

Thanks a lot! Did you have to do anything different to get a photo from the suite to transfer via Zune or did it automatically recognize there were photos there?

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
The basic rule of thumb on photo printing is 200dpi minimum and 300dpi ideal... That means that 5800dpi image would print roughly - 29"x7.5" and look fantastic. That's without any Photoshop enhancing or anything. You can certainly go larger, but you will probably get some noise and slight pixelization if you do.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
The basic rule of thumb on photo printing is 200dpi minimum and 300dpi ideal... That means that 5800dpi image would print roughly - 29"x7.5" and look fantastic. That's without any Photoshop enhancing or anything. You can certainly go larger, but you will probably get some noise and slight pixelization if you do.

Interesting...I went into my photos that I've transferred and the data of my panoramas seems to be a little inconsistent:

Panorama 1: 5688x1424 Pixels, 262 dpi, 24 bit depth, 1.42 MB

Panorama 2: 6029x1491 Pixels, 96 dpi, 24 bit depth, 2.26 MB

Panorama 3: 6179x1104 Pixels, 96 dpi, 24 bit depth, 1.10 MB

I'm not really sure what all that means though!

idahoprime

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot! Did you have to do anything different to get a photo from the suite to transfer via Zune or did it automatically recognize there were photos there?
no, nothing really special, i just have it set to sync pictures from my camera roll to my computer in the pictures/video settings in Zune.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering about this too the other week hearing about these 28 MP photos from apple. I tried it out using Camera Extras, and I'm getting on average 6 MP photos. It's pretty lame that we can't get these uberly high res panos, but I'm guess that's because of having a single core processor.

EddyKilowatt

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Still better than Photosynth, which otherwise is a GREAT panorama app. But the resulting pano is little bigger than a single image. Anyone found a way to save full-res panos with Photosynth... or know if there's an upgrade in the works?

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Apple beat a phone from a previous generation in optics. OMG!

So once again Apple beats everyone in optics.

It isn't optics they beat everyone else at, it's at software. I think Nokia can easily enable full resolution panoramas with their camera apps, but they didn't. Why? Because it takes forever to even process the panoramas even at this size. If it were any bigger it would probably take forever+1 to process the stitching. So Apple, with the dual core cpu were able to somehow make panoramas large, but quickly stitched (tried it on a 4S, and was totally blown away at the experience. You just pan and it's literally stitched on the spot, full resolution, and little to no stitching artifacts.). Nokia still has them beat at optics, but I think Apple just got the best panorama app which just seems to be all software.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
It isn't optics they beat everyone else at, it's at software. I think Nokia can easily enable full resolution panoramas with their camera apps, but they didn't. Why? Because it takes forever to even process the panoramas even at this size. If it were any bigger it would probably take forever+1 to process the stitching. So Apple, with the dual core cpu were able to somehow make panoramas large, but quickly stitched (tried it on a 4S, and was totally blown away at the experience. You just pan and it's literally stitched on the spot, full resolution, and little to no stitching artifacts.). Nokia still has them beat at optics, but I think Apple just got the best panorama app which just seems to be all software.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the 920. I'm very impressed with the Panorama on the 900, it is seamless and takes great photos when viewed on the screen or my computer; it just doesn't seem to be good enough to be blown up. The irony is that I have a DSLR that I can take great photos with but not panoramic photos!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss