Nokia Music App is AWESOME

joeaux

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Dig it. I agree completely! The Music app is fantastic. And that they have an "off-line" mode is awesome. Just download it and go where there's no access to streaming. Very, very slick. My only gripe is that they don't seem to update the tunes often enough for me. The app is definitely one of the many great reasons that a Lumia 920 will be my next phone. :D
-joe-

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I use both. Haven't considered dropping Zune because Nokia music is tied to this hardware an also my daughters still use their Zunes (even though they both have apple devices, too)

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone pay for Zune AND use the Nokia app? I usually just play smart DJ lists. Any advantage with Nokia music?
I'm a bit of a music subscription nut, and have Spotify in addition to Zune Pass, and have tried out Nokia music. Nokia music uses algorithms created by a company called the EchoNest (which are also used by Spotify, rdio, and Mog amongst others), and I find their playlist generation better than the Zune Pass "smart dj" mixes.

It seems to me the "smart dj" mixes are to me a little more likely to "go astray" than the Echonest-powered ones. On the other hand if you're doing a custom music station on nokia music and choose more obscure artists, the generated playlists can be very repetitive. I also don't like that nokia music has a limited number of skips forward per hour.

Having said all that, it's *very* impressive for a free service, so I think it's a great option to have. I just couldn't ever give up the ability to play specific songs, albums, or playlists of my choice that a subscription music offers you. But even using these I'm finding Nokia Music a fun adjunct for discovering new music.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
In the age of capped data and limited storage, Nokia Music is the only reason I am carrying my 900 over my Titan... strange huh?

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I love my Lumia 900. Its a great smartphone. But whats so great about the music app?
1) You need 3rd party App to stop the music.
2) You can't manipulate progress bar.
3) You don't have the choice of setting any song as a ring tone.
4) You can't directly delete a song from the playlist.

Compared to my previous Nokia Handsets, (N95 and N900) this music players looks like a downgrade. Yes the UI is great. Can you share some advanced features of this music App?

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Having said all that, it's *very* impressive for a free service, so I think it's a great option to have. I just couldn't ever give up the ability to play specific songs, albums, or playlists of my choice that a subscription music offers you. But even using these I'm finding Nokia Music a fun adjunct for discovering new music.

So I can't search for artists and then choose to play their album or create my own playlists?

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So I can't search for artists and then choose to play their album or create my own playlists?
Nokia Music lets you create a custom radio station based on a particular artist, but what it will do is generate a playlist based on that artist. However, that playlist will be a random mix of that artist's songs as well as artists the service considers similar to him/her/them.

You cannot request a specific album or ONLY one particular artist's music be played. For that you either need to get the MP3s yourself or pay for a subscription service like Zune Pass/Spotify/rdio/Rhapsody/etc.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Having used it more, it seems like it picks 20-30 songs and loops them. Good songs, but the variety isn't what I thought. Thought it would be more similar to Pandora where it is a continuous stream of music.

D-VO

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I just updated my Nokia Music app and now I have to hit play each time I want to advance to the next track. Anyone else having this problem?

Otherwise I love the service, has a pretty decent selection of music that I like (which I can't say for most streaming services) and the interface is easy to use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon