Finally got it unlocked!

tboard24

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Now that our phone's been out for 6 months, we can get them unlocked. I did a chat with ATT this morning and it couldn't have been easier. No more carrying around two phones!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I am chatting with AT&T Techical support web chat right now and just got my unlock code. We are trying to figure out how to enter it.

tboard24

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm studying in Italy this semester so I'm using a TIM sim card. The representative I talked to gave me a long complicated procedure to unlock it, but all you have to do is pop in a different carrier's sim and it will ask you for the code. Enter your new code and you're done, it's unlocked!

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I popped in a buddy's VZW sim from his iPhone 4S and rebooted and it prompted me. I used the code AT&T gave me and it said it was accepted. I shut back down and put my sim back in and rebooted and it still works fine so I assume all is well and can now sell it as unlocked when the 920 comes out :)

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
can you still get unlocked if you are on contract?

i didnt buy this phone with a contract, but my contract is still within contract from purchasing anotherp hone. will this work?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the updates everyone. That's great news. I might have to switch to T-Mobile once their tower re-farming is done.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
can you still get unlocked if you are on contract?

i didnt buy this phone with a contract, but my contract is still within contract from purchasing anotherp hone. will this work?

Doesn't look like it. WPCentral just added this article.

AT&T Lumia 900 users now able to unlock their phones. Kind of. | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

Our George Ponder emailed them about it and he was told that unless you are out of contract or paid the ETF, they won?t give you the code. The conversation ended there for him. I called AT&T, which is the recommended method. However, I spent 33 minutes on the phone, half of which was the customer service agent looking through his manual to figure what I actually wanted.

In the end, I gave him my IMEI only to be told that they can't find the unlock code. In turn, they created a case for me and they should have it resolved by the 17th. Needless to say that was a painful, near time wasting experience.

Having said that we have seen people in our forums and elsewhere have success in getting their unlock code, so if this is important to you then we recommend you call AT&T and get started with the process.

To obtain your IMEI before the call and to make your life easier, simply open up your dial pad and type *#06#. Write that down and grab a cup of coffee before you enter the AT&T train wreck of unlocking your device.

Good luck and let us know in comments if you were successful. Thanks to all who sent this in!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow that was painful. Was on the phone with them for over 40 minutes, but I got the unlock code! They were actually helpful and friendly. There's a problem though... they don't have directions for unlocking the Lumia 900, only the codes. Does anyone know how exactly to about doing this? I need to be careful to do this right as you only get a limited number of tries.

*EDIT: So far the only method I've found to enter the unlock code is to enter a different (non AT&T/related MVNO) sim and power on. I don't have one handy though. I'll get one from someone else if necessary but does anyone know any other method of entering in the unlock code? Thanks.

Last edited:

doraemon_918

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Wow that was painful. Was on the phone with them for over 40 minutes, but I got the unlock code! They were actually helpful and friendly. There's a problem though... they don't have directions for unlocking the Lumia 900, only the codes. Does anyone know how exactly to about doing this? I need to be careful to do this right as you only get a limited number of tries.

*EDIT: So far the only method I've found to enter the unlock code is to enter a different (non AT&T/related MVNO) sim and power on. I don't have one handy though. I'll get one from someone else if necessary but does anyone know any other method of entering in the unlock code? Thanks.

Try ##782# and input the unlock code. Work for me :cool:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I got my phone unlocked.

I didnt buy the phone with a contract, i added it to an existing one that expires next year.

Anyway, after 5 minutes, got the code and unlocked the phone. i did a live chat with international section and said i was traveling. Gave me with no questions asked besides which country i going to.

eidorian22

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Took me about 5 minutes to unlock my Lumia 900 through AT&T's International Chat. I used the ##782# method to enter the unlock code that was given to me.

I am on contract and bought the phone through AT&T. I just need to find a friend with a micro-sim on T-Mobile to test it out.

tboard24

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have a link to get to the international chat?

https://www.att.com/olam/passthroughAction.myworld

Here's a link to their online chat. You'll have to login to be able to see it though. I did international chat as well, but that was only because I was 6 hours ahead of EST and they were the only ones available at the time. Glad I used them though cause I had no more than verified my account with them and I had the code.

hellomiggy

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Anybody try it on tmobile yet? i dont know anybody with a tmobile microsim :(

I went to T-Mobile yesterday and they were sign me up right away. I decided to wait, I had no money's! It was for a prepaid account, I want to check it out where I live in Santa Barbara. Apparently, it's nothing but T-Mobile there. AT&T gives me full bars as well, but I want to test that 4G. I read online some places are actually giving customers 3G/4G on unlocked devices.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6