10-27-2012 10:00 AM
34 12
tools
    Now that our phone's been out for 6 months, we can get them unlocked. I did a chat with ATT this morning and it couldn't have been easier. No more carrying around two phones!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    10-08-2012 06:05 AM
    Which carrier did you switch to?

And can anyone else confirm this?
    10-08-2012 07:48 AM
    I am chatting with AT&T Techical support web chat right now and just got my unlock code. We are trying to figure out how to enter it.
    10-08-2012 09:18 AM
    I'm studying in Italy this semester so I'm using a TIM sim card. The representative I talked to gave me a long complicated procedure to unlock it, but all you have to do is pop in a different carrier's sim and it will ask you for the code. Enter your new code and you're done, it's unlocked!
    10-08-2012 09:29 AM
    I've attached an image showing that it's an ATT Lumia but running on TIM. The top left tile says "I TIM"
    10-08-2012 09:43 AM
    Thanks for the tip. I popped in a buddy's VZW sim from his iPhone 4S and rebooted and it prompted me. I used the code AT&T gave me and it said it was accepted. I shut back down and put my sim back in and rebooted and it still works fine so I assume all is well and can now sell it as unlocked when the 920 comes out :)
    dante1987 likes this.
    10-08-2012 09:44 AM
    10-09-2012 09:37 AM
    can you still get unlocked if you are on contract?

i didnt buy this phone with a contract, but my contract is still within contract from purchasing anotherp hone. will this work?
    10-09-2012 01:44 PM
    Thanks for the updates everyone. That's great news. I might have to switch to T-Mobile once their tower re-farming is done.
    10-09-2012 02:33 PM
    are you able to use Internet Sharing now without that shim that displays the message to call ATT?
    10-09-2012 02:43 PM
    can you still get unlocked if you are on contract?

i didnt buy this phone with a contract, but my contract is still within contract from purchasing anotherp hone. will this work?
    Doesn't look like it. WPCentral just added this article.

AT&T Lumia 900 users now able to unlock their phones. Kind of. | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

Our George Ponder emailed them about it and he was told that unless you are out of contract or paid the ETF, they wont give you the code. The conversation ended there for him. I called AT&T, which is the recommended method. However, I spent 33 minutes on the phone, half of which was the customer service agent looking through his manual to figure what I actually wanted.

In the end, I gave him my IMEI only to be told that they can't find the unlock code. In turn, they created a case for me and they should have it resolved by the 17th. Needless to say that was a painful, near time wasting experience.

Having said that we have seen people in our forums and elsewhere have success in getting their unlock code, so if this is important to you then we recommend you call AT&T and get started with the process.

To obtain your IMEI before the call and to make your life easier, simply open up your dial pad and type *#06#. Write that down and grab a cup of coffee before you enter the AT&T train wreck of unlocking your device.

Good luck and let us know in comments if you were successful. Thanks to all who sent this in!
    10-09-2012 02:52 PM
    Wow that was painful. Was on the phone with them for over 40 minutes, but I got the unlock code! They were actually helpful and friendly. There's a problem though... they don't have directions for unlocking the Lumia 900, only the codes. Does anyone know how exactly to about doing this? I need to be careful to do this right as you only get a limited number of tries.

*EDIT: So far the only method I've found to enter the unlock code is to enter a different (non AT&T/related MVNO) sim and power on. I don't have one handy though. I'll get one from someone else if necessary but does anyone know any other method of entering in the unlock code? Thanks.
    Last edited by hasasimo; 10-09-2012 at 03:21 PM.
    10-09-2012 03:11 PM
    Wow that was painful. Was on the phone with them for over 40 minutes, but I got the unlock code! They were actually helpful and friendly. There's a problem though... they don't have directions for unlocking the Lumia 900, only the codes. Does anyone know how exactly to about doing this? I need to be careful to do this right as you only get a limited number of tries.

*EDIT: So far the only method I've found to enter the unlock code is to enter a different (non AT&T/related MVNO) sim and power on. I don't have one handy though. I'll get one from someone else if necessary but does anyone know any other method of entering in the unlock code? Thanks.
    Try ##782# and input the unlock code. Work for me
    sainathns and hasasimo like this.
    10-09-2012 05:03 PM
    I got my phone unlocked.

I didnt buy the phone with a contract, i added it to an existing one that expires next year.

Anyway, after 5 minutes, got the code and unlocked the phone. i did a live chat with international section and said i was traveling. Gave me with no questions asked besides which country i going to.
    10-09-2012 05:07 PM
    Took me about 5 minutes to unlock my Lumia 900 through AT&T's International Chat. I used the ##782# method to enter the unlock code that was given to me.

I am on contract and bought the phone through AT&T. I just need to find a friend with a micro-sim on T-Mobile to test it out.
    10-09-2012 06:56 PM
    Does anyone have a link to get to the international chat?
    10-09-2012 09:41 PM
    Try ##782# and input the unlock code. Work for me
    Thank you, that did it! :D. Of course, I'll still have to put a different sim in there to test it out, but I got the prompt to enter the code and it said "pin accepted."
    10-09-2012 11:33 PM
    Does anyone have a link to get to the international chat?
    https://www.att.com/olam/passthroughAction.myworld

Here's a link to their online chat. You'll have to login to be able to see it though. I did international chat as well, but that was only because I was 6 hours ahead of EST and they were the only ones available at the time. Glad I used them though cause I had no more than verified my account with them and I had the code.
    HeyCori likes this.
    10-10-2012 10:28 AM
    Anybody try it on tmobile yet? i dont know anybody with a tmobile microsim :(
    10-11-2012 01:14 PM
    Anybody try it on tmobile yet? i dont know anybody with a tmobile microsim :(
    I went to T-Mobile yesterday and they were sign me up right away. I decided to wait, I had no money's! It was for a prepaid account, I want to check it out where I live in Santa Barbara. Apparently, it's nothing but T-Mobile there. AT&T gives me full bars as well, but I want to test that 4G. I read online some places are actually giving customers 3G/4G on unlocked devices.
    10-11-2012 04:15 PM
    I went to T-Mobile yesterday and they were sign me up right away. I decided to wait, I had no money's! It was for a prepaid account, I want to check it out where I live in Santa Barbara. Apparently, it's nothing but T-Mobile there. AT&T gives me full bars as well, but I want to test that 4G. I read online some places are actually giving customers 3G/4G on unlocked devices.
    Let us know if that is the case.

I know previously, unlocked ATT phones will only get 2g speeds and no MMS, i heard Tmobile was changing bands to match up with ATT to allow 3g, always wondered if that ever happened.

Let us know!

Thanks
    10-11-2012 04:27 PM
    I just ordered an unlock code from Quick Phone Unlock | Unlock your phone for my Rogers Lumia 900. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
    10-11-2012 04:50 PM
    Let us know if that is the case.

I know previously, unlocked ATT phones will only get 2g speeds and no MMS, i heard Tmobile was changing bands to match up with ATT to allow 3g, always wondered if that ever happened.

Let us know!

Thanks
    I sold my unlocked Lumia 800 to a friend using T-Mobile in Kansas City. I was only getting edge speeds on it last year, but he's getting 3G and HSPA+ on it right now! I assume it would be the same for an unlocked 900.
    10-19-2012 04:51 PM
    I contacted AT&T support for unlocking my 900 but they turned me down, saying that because I do not have a contract with them, they are not in a position to unlock my phone. The phone is an AT&T non commitment phone, surely they should be able to unlock it?

Any suggestions?
    10-22-2012 08:54 AM
    If I were you I'd chat with their international care/support. I can't guarantee that will work though

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    10-22-2012 10:58 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD