Anyone else sticking with their 900 for a while longer?

St_Deborah

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Just curious to see who's holding on to their 900 for a while long - for whatever reason. I just got mine about a month ago, and it seems to be a pretty solid device. I'm usually a smartphone junkie, but for business purposes and more practical reasons, I'd like to hold on to a great performing device for the long haul. I still stalk Crackberry from time to time, and some hold on to their trusty BBs ( anywhere from the Bold 9650 to the Bold 9000) forever. Lol. If I hadn't spoiled myself on some more modern day functionality I'd probably still be a BB user or Nokia E series if it had survived...
Anyway, anyone else planning on keeping the 900 a while longer? Tour reasons? Do you use your device for play, business, both?
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Brunothesheep

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm still loving my 900 and see no reason to get the 920 yet. It's actually the first phone that I'm not rushing out to replace =)
Oh, and my 900 is purely play.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

theprawn

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Summary: the hardware is amazing, WP 8 is beta software

I've satisfied my early adoption urges, wireless charging is awesome, the camera is improved and as much as I loved the 900 the 920 is even nicer to hold and interact with. On the other hand some key apps (namely Evernote) don't work and it's an inferior "mp3 player". For music and podcasts, 900 outshines 920. While the future of Xbox music is bright the present is less than stellar.

I think it's clear wp8 was rushed to coincide with windows 8. Ultimately I feel like I gave up at least as much as I gained just to be on the bleeding edge -- but this should all be sorted out through updates in time.

The 900 is a great phone. If you can live with not having the newest device, good for you! I'd say you'd be prudent to wait.

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Summary: the hardware is amazing, WP 8 is beta software

I've satisfied my early adoption urges, wireless charging is awesome, the camera is improved and as much as I loved the 900 the 920 is even nicer to hold and interact with. On the other hand some key apps (namely Evernote) don't work and it's an inferior "mp3 player". For music and podcasts, 900 outshines 920. While the future of Xbox music is bright the present is less than stellar.

Thank you for stating the obvious, and I mean that in a good way. Xbox music is a total disgrace and joke following the under appreciated brilliance that was the unmarketed Zune pass experience. I feel totally neglected, I have a zune hd, and have owned three windows phones already. I cannot upgrade to windows 8 until the music is improved. It is the number one reason I have a windows phone. I might as well get a nexus or android device at this rate.

So disappointed, bought the surface thinking it would be a great music device ... ITS SUCH A NIGHTMARE TO PLAY ANYTHING!

I bought the surface, that will hold me over unless I go try the 920 or 8x and am blown away by them. the 900 hardware is so nice and the 4.3" form is perfect IMO.

winphoneaddict

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm keeping my 900 for the time being, as it is undoubtedly the best smart phone I have ever owned. I will be looking forward to the WP 7.8 update, and it seems that there is a good possibility it will be more than JUST cosmetic, with the new start screen, etc. Plus with 18 months of support being promised AFTER 7.8 comes along, that puts the icing on the cake for me. Also the possibility that there may be further updates for 7.x beyond 7.8, (as alluded to by leaked Nokia support slides story published on WPCentral), who knows what we might have in store yet? In any event, I will wait until 2nd generation windows phone 8 devices come along before I upgrade. By that time the OS software will have matured, and the hardware will be SIGNIFICANTLY better than it is at present. Not that it is not a pretty good step up from my present phone, just not significant enough to warrant the cash layout I would have to make at present. That, and I am currently still under contract time with my current phone. Plus, I am intrigued by the possibility of a Microsoft branded device down the road. Here's hoping. These are exciting times for Windows Phone users for sure.

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I'll be holding onto my 900 for quite some time. I still really love the phone. It's still fast, smooth, and reliable. Plus, I just got LTE here like 3 days ago. And aside from what's already built into 7.5, I have all the apps I want out of a smartphone. I really want the camera/OIS in the Lumia 920. Aside from that, I'm not to heartbroken about only having WP7.8 and not WP8. I can't predict the future and there might one day come an app that makes me regret not having WP8, but for now my 900 is getting the job done.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I'll be holding onto my 900 for quite some time. I still really love the phone. It's still fast, smooth, and reliable. Plus, I just got LTE here like 3 days ago. And aside from what's already built into 7.5, I have all the apps I want out of a smartphone. I really want the camera/OIS in the Lumia 920. Aside from that, I'm not to heartbroken about only having WP7.8 and not WP8. I can't predict the future and there might one day come an app that makes me regret not having WP8, but for now my 900 is getting the job done.
My feelings are exactly the same as yours.

Lumia2012

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that I might just wait it out too. It's tempting , the L920, but my L900 is doing just fine. I love the amoled screen, the blacks and the other colors pop. Not ready to give that up. The screen may get smudged easily, but I have no scratches after seven months. I think I'll sit on the sidelines and wait till CES in January. Plus that Surface phone next year......

Ray E.

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm sticking with my L900. Although L920 has a better camera, dual-core processor, bigger screen, and NFC... I feel, and in my honest opinion, it will be wise to wait for the second or third wave (third wave: i assume will be around 2014; around the time my contract would end) of WP devices to settle in. Note: The update for current WP7.5 users to 7.8 has played a big role in my decision to stick with L900. :-D

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that I might just wait it out too. It's tempting , the L920, but my L900 is doing just fine. I love the amoled screen, the blacks and the other colors pop. Not ready to give that up. The screen may get smudged easily, but I have no scratches after seven months. I think I'll sit on the sidelines and wait till CES in January. Plus that Surface phone next year......
I am using a screen protector on my device.

I'm actually saving money to get a Surface Pro or another Windows 8 Pro tablet with an Ivy Bridge processor, so the phone upgrade is something that can wait.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for two reasons:

1. NFC has to be unlocked by carriers. I am with Straight Talk on my 900, and refuse to sign a contract, so I'm not gonna buy a device outright until they offer a way to make NFC purchases without needing the carrier (or if they come up with a solution for Straight Talk users).

2. The hardware is already kinda behind (Adreno 225), and the power of Windows Phone 8 has yet to be tapped because no big name apps have dropped, and will take a while for the native coding recycling (Gameloft games, etc).

If I had the chance to switch for a good enough price I would, but 7.5 devices aren't really selling since they're practically outdated...

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Gonna keep my Nokia Lumia until it's time for an upgrade early next year. The WP8 devices just don't do it for me. I'm hoping MS has a "Surface" phone coming.

S Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I hope instagram comes soon. Times like this I miss my Droid. When all of my friends and family are using dorid or Iphone ... I'm on another planet... It would be nice to at least add the popular app.

akar33

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I think I will stick with the 900 too, for now. Although the new camera is pretty good I just don't feel good about replacing a perfectly working, 6-month old phone. And if the 7.8 version is as good as the rumors say, even better. Also, the 920 isn't a huge step up from the 900.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Stuck with it here, couldn't get ATT to give me an early upgrade. I think for the upgrade price of the 920, anyone should really upgrade, it isn't like another 200$ to plunk down for a new device, but 50-100$ (depending when you buy it I guess). The 920 is a really nice device, the screen is just so sensitive compare to the 900 that it actually got me to stop playing with my 900, lol. The camera and algorithms are just much more solid on it that white balance is 95% right (I'd say 80% with the 900), and that dual core you can really feel it working when you run multiple apps (and switch between them). With that said, the only other reason to want to upgrade is for future WP8 app compatibility, but it seems right now more devs are working on getting their current apps working on WP8, so you aren't see an instant flux of WP8 apps luckily. Also, that 7.8 update is coming and sounds pretty nice. I think with 7.8 it would be ok for users stuck in contract to realize that their phone is just as good. But for people who are able to upgrade, I think it's a given that they should go for the 920 instead of the 900. WP8 software is just bound to get better, but with all that said, even though it sounds like I ranted I suppose, I am still pretty happy with my 900 and what I can do. The platform is just solidly smooth (instances where things get choppy, but mainly when it comes to multitasking (installing an app in the background namely), and the camera is pretty darn good, not to mention we have FM radio! >:D

tewill

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I'm sticking with mine, for the time being. I compared in person the black Lumia 920 to my black 900, and although I think it's clearly a nicer device, e.g. its overall look and feel, screen resolution, and speed, on the whole I don't *yet* feel I'm missing out on much, if anything, sticking with my 900. And, my 900 is a known quantity, and new devices always come with new problems, and from what I've casually seen in the 920 forums, it has its fair share. I'd also like to see what Windows Phone 7.8 has to offer, as it might make it even easier to wait. Plus, my color of choice for the 920 would likely be gray (although I haven't seen it in person), and that color is currently not being sold by AT&T.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I started the same post in the Focus S forum and was surprised how many have said they are fine holding onto theirs. This thread's responses seem to be about 50/50.

The 900 has a lot to love about it. There is not even a small doubt in my mind that it was easily the class of 7.5 devices and the perfect bridge to WP 8 for Nokia. It really showed off what this company could do.

If you own a 900 there is no reason to you should have to leave it. Nokia will support it in a way no other company will support their 7.XX devices. I certainly understand if 900 owners jumped on the 920, but there is no need.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I've always maintained that I wouldn't be running out to get 8.0 and that hasn't changed. I'm keeping my 900 for another 7 to 11 months. I've never been an early adaptor, I'd rather wait for any bugs with WP8 to be flushed out. Also none of my "minor issues" with 7.5 were addressed with 8.0 so I have little reason to upgrade just yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo