Check-in for 7.8 Update Through Zune, Have you gotten yours yet?

badge4

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
just to clarify things, when you say: click phone>settings> update... as far as "update" is concerned, your talking about under "system" in the settings menu, "phone update"?? cus i dont see just "update," but "phone update." if thats the case below "phone update" in smaller font it already says "no updates found" all the time whether you exit and go back in.
also, i presume the phone has to be on cellular data and wifi turned off on the actual phone correct?
im obviously missing something here. LoL.

It sounds like you are trying to update via the phone's settings menu. However, it is supposed to be done via the Zune software (which is why he says to launch it first and then click on Phone > Settings > Update). Do this through Zune on your computer, not through your phones menu.

Spiddelito

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
My old HTC HD7 updating now, after pulling cable trick! Yummy...
I?m only getting one update at a time, so this cable will be yanked alot!! 2nd update now..

Finally got the zune cabletrick to work a third time! Now updating to 7.10.8858.136

Last edited:

dav1boy

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like you are trying to update via the phone's settings menu. However, it is supposed to be done via the Zune software (which is why he says to launch it first and then click on Phone > Settings > Update). Do this through Zune on your computer, not through your phones menu.

holy he*L!! i knew this would be the case. i was hoping not, cus im on a mac, the program doesnt have a "phone" option. i guess its bootcamp time.. thanks for the reply man.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
  1. Connect your Windows Phone to a PC and launch the Zune software
  2. Click on Phone > Settings > Update. Allow the software to tell you whether an update is available. If so, skip this guide. If not continue to the next step.
  3. Time to force the update. Click another button (any of the options above or below the word Update). Then click the Update button again, and this time disconnect your computer from the internet after 1-2 seconds. Do this by pulling out the Ethernet cable, disabling Wi-Fi, etc. If it says your phone is already up to date, you didn't disconnect quickly enough and need to try this step again.
  4. Wait 30 seconds or so and Zune should display a notification that an update is available.
  5. Now reconnect to the internet and continue with the update process through the Zune software.

You forgot to mention putting your phone into Airplane mode. :) Zune can still connect to the internet using your phone's network (and vice-versa).

Pastorhss

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Corleones: trick doesn't work. Says phone is up-to-date.
Night Fire.: put phone in Airplane Mode. get message: Cannot check for updates now. Error 80072Eff.

Heeeelp. :unhappysweat:

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm trying to do it too and keep getting that error.

There's a sweet spot between getting that error, getting the update, and getting that the phone's up to date. Finding it is the hard part. :(

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Found update using disconnect trick for my Rogers 710.

Corleones: trick doesn't work. Says phone is up-to-date.
Night Fire.: put phone in Airplane Mode. get message: Cannot check for updates now. Error 80072Eff.

Heeeelp. :unhappysweat:

Do the same thing but don't disable your internet right away. Wait about 4 seconds before disabling your connection. I was disabling mine right away after checking for updates and it would give me the same error.

I

KLinCHI

May 10, 2012
Visit site
  1. Connect your Windows Phone to a PC and launch the Zune software
  2. Click on Phone > Settings > Update. Allow the software to tell you whether an update is available. If so, skip this guide. If not continue to the next step.
  3. Time to force the update. Click another button (any of the options above or below the word Update). Then click the Update button again, and this time disconnect your computer from the internet after 1-2 seconds. Do this by pulling out the Ethernet cable, disabling Wi-Fi, etc. If it says your phone is already up to date, you didn't disconnect quickly enough and need to try this step again.
  4. Wait 30 seconds or so and Zune should display a notification that an update is available.
  5. Now reconnect to the internet and continue with the update process through the Zune software.
My problem is a majority of the time I've tried this, I get the error message that I'm not connected to the Web. I've tried anywhere from 2 to 5 seconds. Guess I just have to be patient and hope T-Mobile will release it soon. :straight:

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Finally got the update with the tips from previous posts...
(Lumia 900/ AT&T)

Remember to:

(1) Put your phone to airplane mode
(2) Unplug the cable physically! (Turning off wifi did not work for me)

Other than that, if you see "can't check for update @!#$#@", that means you're unplugging it too soon, and if you're seeing "your phone is up to date", then as mentioned in previous posts, you didn't do it quick enough. There seems to be a specific unplugging timing for you to get the update, not too fast, but not too slow either.

Be patient guys!

rick717

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I give up. Tried the Zune trick. Put it in airplane mode. Still no update. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. I've had older Nokias, Blackberrys and iPhone and iPad. Never have I seen such a mess as this. And Zune software is a total mess. Got 6 more months before I can upgrade my phone, will definitely not be another windows phone. I'll either go back to Blackberry or iPhone, unless my email accounts keep acting up and screwing up when the don't sync. They're supposed to sync ever 15 minutes, sometimes it has been an hour with no sync. Have started to have to manually sync email accounts. This is a business phone, can wait for an hour or more for emails. Good thing I still have my Blackberry Torch. It may not have all the apps but, at least I can trust it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6