anyone in the U.S. been updated to 7.8 on ATT yet without "trick?"

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I tried upgrading my dad's ATT Lumia 900 last night and was surprised that it wasn't available. Then I found this forum. Fortunately, he doesn't care. I am hopeful for the rest of you that it will come as the Lumia 900 has not reached End of Life yet.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Nope. I have my phone on straight talk. I contacted at&t and they said they have no idea when it's coming and that MS has a webpage for the windows phone. They said if anything connect the phone to Zune and check for updates.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

St_Deborah

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Hope they fix this soon. In my experience it seems AT&T doesn't much care for WP. If it's not a high end Android their not very expedient. The again, when I had the Samsung Captivate Glide the ICS update took so long I had to just go ahead and switch to the GS2. In any case the carrier seemed a lot more interested, knowledgeable, and enthused about the Galaxy updates than the Windows Phone.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I thought 8860/8862 was available for unlocked phones on Zune. Did they pull those too?

My phone has updated multiple times via Zune. I don't rely on carriers for anything except their service, because they don't want to release updates. Android is a good example of that. If you want updates, you have to go the OS makers / owners.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I spoke to AT&T's tech support and they claim the 7.8 update is NOT available for the Lumia 900. Just flat out NOT available, and we have to wait until they test it and certify it and all this nonsense.

And how do they explain all of the Lumia 900 users who got the update at the end of January? Am I living in an alternative universe where I was one of only a handful of people who got the update? Unless they're talking about the newer version of 7.8 that fixes the live tile issue, I can't possibly think of why it's considered "not available."

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
you guys are lucky to have missed 7.8 update, It introduces Lag to a perfectly smooth, Lag-free UI of 7.5, so its better to just use the 7.5 for now and later upgrade to WP8.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
And how do they explain all of the Lumia 900 users who got the update at the end of January? Am I living in an alternative universe where I was one of only a handful of people who got the update? Unless they're talking about the newer version of 7.8 that fixes the live tile issue, I can't possibly think of why it's considered "not available."
It was pulled.

That means it is no longer available. I fail to see the difficulty in understanding this...

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It was pulled.

That means it is no longer available. I fail to see the difficulty in understanding this...

He said AT&T told him it was "not available," something that has different connotations than your words: "no longer available." One implies it was never released, and the other implies it was once was but is no longer.

There seems to be a significantly large amount of people in this thread who don't have it, fewer than I would expect. So I got to thinking that they might be claiming it was never available to download and still has yet to be released for the first time. Something I would know to be false since I have the update. That's the impression I got from MinnesotaSteve's quote of the AT&T employee in my previous post.

I hope I explained myself better for you.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Just use the seven eighter app and get it. I did it tonight even though I had received the 7.8 update via AT&T automatically. Boom, updated to the latest version of 7.8 that fixed tile issues, done. It literally takes five minutes and is clicking buttons basically.

slewis41

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I just got a new unit from AT&T with 7.8 already installed ( The sound went out on my first unit ), so I don't see why it's not rolling out to all of the units.

MinnesotaSteve

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I just got dead ends when talking to AT&T's tech support. It's possibly they're just canned responses to anyone asking about any updates, I don't know.

But it's incredibly frustrating. I don't feel I should have to run some sort of hack to make this work. I should receive the download from Microsoft. AT&T shouldn't even be involved. I realize that's not the case, and frankly I blame Microsoft for that.

LongLeggs

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Just use the seven eighter app and get it. I did it tonight even though I had received the 7.8 update via AT&T automatically. Boom, updated to the latest version of 7.8 that fixed tile issues, done. It literally takes five minutes and is clicking buttons basically.

Good luck, using 7 eighter will come back to bite you in the you know what soon.. Just recently I have been experiencing touch screen issues, lock screen won't unlock etc. I went back to using the original 7.8 that att pushed and I no longer have any issues.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Good luck, using 7 eighter will come back to bite you in the you know what soon.. Just recently I have been experiencing touch screen issues, lock screen won't unlock etc. I went back to using the original 7.8 that att pushed and I no longer have any issues.

I had that happen to me on the 900 before even 7.8. Probably not related.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It makes perfect sense that many phones got updated and placed in boxes that never got shipped out. They aren't going to go through the trouble of downgrading them I'm guessing.

giffis

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I send my phone to repair the re-sound(echo) issue when volume is kept above 5 to Nokia Repair Center. I got the phone back with 7.8 update. I believe that is the only thing they did and it fixed the issue. All live tiles and everything works fine with 7.8.

pfe1223

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Since I recently switched back to WP, I figure you guys (and gals) would be a better judge of how accurate the following is. It appears that Nokia US went to their Facebook page yesterday (Sunday 21 April) with the following message:

"Just a friendly reminder, Windows Phone 7.8 update is soon on its way. A huge thank you to our fans for waiting!"

Source.

Has this happened before without the update? Or should I start to get excited?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb