If I reboot my phone by holding the power & vol down button

Djal Tropoje

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
If I reboot my phone by holding the power & vol down button for 10 seconds , will it delete all my apps and music , or its just a normal restart ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Its not a restart its a soft reset. It will kind of 'kick' your phone back to its normal settings without changing your data. It will also most likely Change your date and time. To do a normal restart you just shut your phone down and turn it back on again.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
There's a lot of folks around who don't seem to know what specific terms mean.

Soft Reset: This is generally just telling the device to reboot. It's non-destructive to data.
Hard Reset: This is also commonly known as a factory reset. This sets the device back to the original factory standard image, and is destructive to data.

BTW, to perform a soft reset, there is no need to press the vol down button. I don't know where the information originally got started, but it's not correct. Just holding down the power button will cause the phone to reboot. :)

akar33

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
BTW, to perform a soft reset, there is no need to press the vol down button. I don't know where the information originally got started, but it's not correct. Just holding down the power button will cause the phone to reboot. :)

I thought the same. But one day, my roommates L800 wouldn't boot up. We tried the power button, plugging into the charger etc. Nothing worked. We took it to the Microsoft store and they pressed the vol up + vol down + power button and the phone booted up perfectly. The guy said, that's the key combo for soft reset.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I thought the same. But one day, my roommates L800 wouldn't boot up. We tried the power button, plugging into the charger etc. Nothing worked. We took it to the Microsoft store and they pressed the vol up + vol down + power button and the phone booted up perfectly. The guy said, that's the key combo for soft reset.

I haven't used a Lumia 800, but my 900 has always used a long power key press for a soft reset. I've never had to press any other key to soft reset.

One thing to note is that if a phone is frozen and you're using another specific key combo you're not just doing a soft reset. What you are doing there is similar to when you press the power button on a PC for several seconds. You cut power and it can cause data issues.

It may seem to be a slight difference, but it's not. In the case of a frozen device all you need to do there is Vol Down + Power. At least that's what Nokia says, and all that I've ever found necessary for the couple devices I've had to handle in that situation.

Yeah. Held my power button on my Lumia 920 for a minute and all it did was bring up the option...

That shouldn't be the case. A long power key press even on a 920 should do a soft reset on the phone...unless they changed something and didn't put it in the documentation.

I don't have a 920 to test this with at the moment...but a long power key press has always been a soft reset on every Windows Phone device I have touched.

kingalex03

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Why u i cannot see my data connection and i already open it but i cannot see and i cant use

how can i see my data connection i already turn on it but i cant see and use Help

For filipino patulong po hindi kopo makita yong aking data sa taas bakit ganon naka bukas naman pero ayaw talaga

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro