NEED HELP! Lumia 900 on T-Mobile - shows LTE, but says no data connection

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile this past Saturday. I've mostly gotten E (Edge) data speeds, and in some areas 4G. Both of those connections have worked perfectly, as well as phone calls.

Yesterday, I drove by an area I hadn't driven by since Saturday, and when I go to that area, my phone switches to LTE. First of all, this is weird since T-Mobile supposedly doesn't have LTE here, although they are supposedly refarming the EDGE frequencies to LTE, so I guess it's a possibility that could be it.

But second, this is an issue because when it does show LTE, I have no data connection available (LTE worked fine on this phone when I used AT&T)! If I reboot the phone, it goes from no signal to E (data works fine) to 4G (works fine) and to LTE (no data connection).

So my questions are
1) anyone know why it would show LTE but have no data connection, and
2) most importantly, how can I get it to NOT switch to LTE?? I'd rather have a working E connection than a non-working LTE, but I can't find ANY settings on how to get it to not go to LTE. It's been pretty frustrating, since this is an area where I spend quite a bit of time.

Would REALLY appreciate help. I've searched and found nothing...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, after a long time googling, I found an answer on xdadevelopers forum. There IS apparently LTE for T-Mobile here, but my Lumia 900 wasn't set to handle it correctly. I had to add an APN with the address fast.t-mobile.com. After I did that LTE worked like a charm! At least if someone else runs into this issue, there's a thread about it here now. :)

Last edited:

gp0777

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Same here MikeSo. I was about to start a thread and then found this.

My entire neighborhood (part of LA) is giving me LTE but no data. I'm going to try those APN settings you suggested and see how it works for me. Meanwhile, here's some visuals.

P5220030.JPGP5220034.JPGP5220036.JPG

gp0777

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
APN settings for Lumia 900 fast.t-mobile.com worked like a charm. Funny, it seems like I'm south of the coverage area. I literally cross the street and it drops dramatically and then back to 4G though (not 3G or E) Last night I was further north and LTE signal was as show above or at times Full. Cool!
Technical information:
Hardware Version 112.1914.2.0
Firmware Version 2175.2307.8862.13100
My mobile network : T-Mobile (4G) (...showing LTE)
Windows Phone : 7.10.8862

Btw, I'm on PrePaid! :amaze::winktongue:

Here are the results....
900 on LTE.jpg

Using SpeedTest.mobi, these are the results. (the slowest was I moved further away from the LTE coverage area)
Date
Operator
Latency
DL
UL
2013-05-23 20:32:10
T-Mobile (4G)
75 ms
3190 kb/s
91 kb/s
2013-05-23 20:21:02
T-Mobile (4G)
66 ms
5654 kb/s
3978 kb/s

Last edited:

Myclevername

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm...I'm in need of some help now for my Lumia 920. I just unlocked and moved over to T-Mobile. I downloaded the Access Point app from Nokia and deleted all of my existing APN and MMS APN settings then tapped on the T-Mobile LTE option (the one and only option) that was on the Access Point set up screen. I have never seen the letters LTE appear on my phone. I have data and it's pretty fast and MMS works OK but could I be getting faster speeds here in South Florida with different settings? And can anyone coach me on what settings I need to enter for ALL of the fields in both the internet APN settings screen and the MMS APN settings screen? And lastly, do I need to delete the Access Point app from my phone in order for other APN settings to work?
Thanks

jdandison

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious about the 920 - will it work on T-Mobile's LTE unlocked? I could get 4G no problems (I don't know if I'm in a T-Mobile LTE area), but the speeds were pretty pathetic vs. ATT in the same area.

sadude69

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Just so that I am clear, for my ATT Lumia 920 (RED!) under settings, access point....it pops up T-Mobile and it say LTE under that...is this what you all have and still had to update to fast.tmobile.com?

I have already selected this and it says "active" and I have no issues with Edge and 4G but no LTE yet in chicago until next month :-(

tbonenga

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a Rogers 920 unlocked. Access point says Tmo LTE active. I've never seen LTE on my screen. It actually bounces between 3G-4G all the time. Tmo told me I don't have LTE in my area yet. I'm assuming people are going in the manual apn settings and changing epc.tmobile.com to fast.tmobile.com if so what kinda speed improvements are you getting?

simbadogg

Aug 28, 2008
Visit site
Can anyone give me a step by step? Settings on WP8 (my 920) and the unlocked 900 i gave to my GF are slightly different, I want to be able to step her through it since I won't see her tonite. And she has absolutely crap reception at her work/on her commute.

tbonenga

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
1. Hit settings icon. 2. Hit cellular icon 3. Hit edit internet apn icon. 4. Enter fast.t-mobile.com for LTE or you can enter epc.tmobile.com if you're in a non LTE area. 5. Hit save icon at bottom of the screen.

If your having mms (pic text) issues.
1. Hit settings icon 2. Scroll down to access point and hit icon. 3. One of these will pop up Tmo ipv4, ipv6 or Tmo LTE 4. Press one and activated appears. This should fix mms. If not 1. Settings icon 2. Cellular icon. 3. Edit mms apn icon. 4. Manually enter the info in the post above yours where directed. MMS should work

gp0777

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Myclevername, I'm running it withOUT Nokia's Network Setup app. (it's better for me as it doesn't disable my 'Internet Sharing' option) and just added fast.t-mobile.com under the APN option in the 'cellular settings' and nothing else for the rest of the settings. Try that. Also, remember the LTE rollout is not nationwide just yet. Here's a good link with what's going on in terms of the area with availability. T-Mobile LTE Sightings Abundant In The Los Angeles Area Today | TmoNewsTmoNews

robert_in_la

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I live in Pasadena, CA area and I switched over to T-Mobile yesterday with my AT&T branded Red Lumia 920. So worth paying AT&T the ETF to get rid of those vultures.

So I was having a lot of problems with data connection and MMS with T-Mobile... running either on Edge or no data at all. After monkeying around with Access Point, adding APN and MMS APN settings I finally deleted the APN settings I put in and start over. However to make the T-Mobile LTE in Access Point "inactive" I had to put my old AT&T SIM card in... use Access Point and pick AT&T 3G.

Then I took out my AT&T SIM Card. Rebooted my phone with the T-Mobile SIM put in and then used Access Point and picked (made active) T-Mobile LTE. Around my home I get spotty reception and it typically runs on Edge, so I walked a couple of blocks away it runs on 4G and last night in Beverly Hills while I was out it was switching between 4G and LTE. MMS (picture texting) works now as well.

Overall I think the issue now is that the reframing is spotty around Pasadena area.

Can't wait to check out the 925 when it comes out but for now I am happy with my 920. Hope this information helps.

gp0777

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a Rogers 920 unlocked. Access point says Tmo LTE active. I've never seen LTE on my screen. It actually bounces between 3G-4G all the time. Tmo told me I don't have LTE in my area yet. I'm assuming people are going in the manual apn settings and changing epc.tmobile.com to fast.tmobile.com if so what kinda speed improvements are you getting?

Changing the APN doesn't "force" it to use LTE. All it did was allow the data portion of it to work. However, since the area is being covered with LTE the phone picked up itself. Login and see the pics I posted for data speeds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6