Unlocked Lumia 900 USA to Thailand

zboi012

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello WPCentral community,

I've been trying to find an answer to my questions, but I haven't had any luck with specifics. I figured I might as well just start a thread.

For the past 2 years I have used Android phones, and I want to try something else. I'm going with a Windows phone, and I like the Nokia Lumia 900. Here is my problem though... I'll be moving to Thailand towards the end of November. In the meantime I would like to use it here in the US.

I know that I need an unlocked Lumia 900, but is it really that simple? Do I just purchase an unlocked Lumia 900 and place a sim card from T-Mobile or other US sim card, and when I move to Thailand I just insert a Thai sim card? That just seems to easy. lol

Can someone please explain how I would go about this. Do I need a certain type of Lumia 900? If so, can you suggest a seller?

Anything helps!

- Zack S.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes it works like this. If you have it unlocked it should work on the cell provider you want if they have the same cellular frequencies as the phone.

For example: the At&t Lumia 900 will only get edge on T-Mobile in areas that t-mobile hasn't upgraded their network but with At&t you will get full LTE.

I am not sure what Provider in Thailand you want, but ensure they have GSM, which most the world has and the correct frequencies for the higher data speeds.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yep, its really that simple. Get an unlocked anything and it should work OK. there might be a minor band incompatibility, but I don't see anything outright breaking functionality.

Also, you might want to spring for a newer device with WP8, since those have more of a future in terms of updates and app compatibility, from the bargain-bin 520 to the higher-end 900's successor, the 920.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes. It technically works like that.

Just be careful though. I can take my AT&T unlocked Lumia 900 from USA (Using a AT&T/T-Mobile/Red Pocket SIM Card) to Romania and use a Vodaphone SIM card there without any issues, however, when I go to South Africa, none of the SIM cards that I have tried so far there, have worked on my L900.

I believe you should not have any issue with a "pure" unlocked/international Lumia 900 in terms of SIM swapping.

sinic999

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, It will worked. I brought my unlocked AT&T lumia 900 USA to Malaysia and Brunei and used their local sim card. So I believe that it will worked at Thailand too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos