micro USB Port failed - how can I replace it

The Flame

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The USB port on my Nokia Lumia 900 has failed and so my phone will not charge. Moreover, even tho there's a spittle of current left in the battery my computer no longer recognizes the device. Id like to replace the port. Has anyone successfully accomplished this? Where's the best place to get the part and how much should it cost? I've had the phone apart on several occasions so am comfortable with that part of the operation, however, the USB port is soldered on the pcb and so needs a bit extra effort to make any repairs. What think?

TF

ps - (The iPhone ive been borrowing as a replacement stinks! I never realized how much I preferred the WP interface until now, when I no longer have it)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's probably not worth trying to replace at this point. You'd be better off getting a new 520, since the 520 is available at a low cost without needing a contract.

The Flame

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the 520 has the big advantage of being a wp8 device. Even so, ive found the part for less than $5 on ebay and Ive had the phone apart several ties already. Its a snap! Soldering the part on may be an issue tho. I may just try is to have as a backup and will probably check out the 520. thx

Dominick Squillace

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
@The Flame.

I too have had my usb charging port break. i finally got fed up and decided to take it apart to replace it. It just so happens the the back of the port broke and the solder connections for the micro usb were also broke off and were shorting out my screen and phone. i have ordered new ones incase of future failures lol if you can solder and can follow some you tube video instruction you can open upon and disassemble the lumia 900 fairly easily. Trying to remove the old usb charging port was a bit of a hassle but it is do able with a little patience and some sold desoldering techniques. The ports will be here by the end of the week so who to say if it actually works lol

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
@The Flame.

I too have had my usb charging port break. i finally got fed up and decided to take it apart to replace it. It just so happens the the back of the port broke and the solder connections for the micro usb were also broke off and were shorting out my screen and phone. i have ordered new ones incase of future failures lol if you can solder and can follow some you tube video instruction you can open upon and disassemble the lumia 900 fairly easily. Trying to remove the old usb charging port was a bit of a hassle but it is do able with a little patience and some sold desoldering techniques. The ports will be here by the end of the week so who to say if it actually works lol

Please keep us posted and post some pictures as well. I went ahead and got a 1520 but if I can solder a new port onto my Lumia 900 I will keep it as a backup. I might order a new battery and install it too while I have device open. Really other than the microUSB issue the phone is flawless.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans