What a Letdown- Massive Weight, Thickness

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
That's the image I get when reading all these dramatic threads, as if you'll be leaning to one side because of the massive weight of the 920! :dry

My wife complains when I buy 40lbs bag of cat litter, instead of 20lbs bag. That I can understand. :D

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
This thing is going to weigh 0.41 pounds (versus 0.353 lbs for Lumia 900), versus 0.30 for the Samsung ATIV. Plus, it will be 0.42" thick (versus 0.45 for Lumia 900), versus 0.34" for the ATIV. This is just plain massive. I know- Samsung is flimsy and plastic, but this is just a hulk. This is very disappointing. I like the Lumia 900, but it is still too heavy and too thick. Anyone else feel the same way?

Do you really buy your phone based on a weight threshold?

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I was really hoping for a 4.3" screen in a smaller package. I don't want a huge phone and always thought that the HTC Trophy was a great sized device. If they had been able to pack in a larger screen without making the phone much bigger, I would have been sold. As of now, it looks as though I'm going back to Android for the Droid RAZR M but I will definitely keep an eye out for a WP8 phone that better suits my needs. Don't think that I'm knocking what the 920 is, however. The technology going into the screen and the camera is awesome, but the overall package is just too large for my needs. I still plan on picking up a Windows RT tablet though.

Last edited:

KarateDad

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I might just go for the iphone 5. I am not a fan of Samsung based on past android experience. I really wanted the Nokia Windows phone. I'd go for the new 800 series Lumia announced, but it has a lower quality screen resolution than the 920- EDIT- nix that idea- the new 820 will weigh the same as as the Lumia 900.
I'd go for the Ativ. I had a Samsung Focus, and loved it. Have passed it down to my daughter when I got my Lumia 900. If you want thin and light, that sounds like the way to go. If you want features galore and the best camera to boot, go with the 920.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

That's how to make a comeback.

Also...
superman_batman_public_enemies_car_pick_up.jpg

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Personally, looking at what Motorola released I am super impressed with Nokia! Like Apple, they are innovating. Thinner and thinner is not something I care about that much. A beautiful screen which is more visible in sunlight and a camera which takes better pictures indoors, now that is innovative!

EvanKr

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
The wireless charging receiver in the inside adds some extra weight.

True, I'm (currently) a webOS user, and all of their devices support TouchStone wireless charging. It definitely gives the devices a bit more heft and adds some thickness.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The 920 isn't noticeably any heavier than the 900 from what I could tell yesterday. The rounded back felt good and made it easier to hold. I can see how some folks would be turned off by the thickness and weight compared to an ATIV-like device, so I would recommend you visit your carrier and hold them in your hands and decide for yourself.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Look if the iPhone is your ideal phone size, then nothing Nokia makes will matter to you. If you are into these larger phones that everyone is making, then the L920 is a big player.

Nekzar

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I really don't understand people complaining about the thickness. First, there is upgrades on all hardware parts from the 900, and yet, it's slightly thinner. How can you complain about that?

2nd, there is a thing such as too thin when it comes to phones. Obviously, it's a preference, but thinner isn't necessarily the better. I for one, embrace a phone that sits well in your palm, it shouldn't be like holding a piece of paper.

In my opinion, one of the main priorities when designing a phone should be how nice it is to hold so you get a nice grip on it. This is why I think the Iphone 4/4s has one the worst designs ever for a phone. It's pretty yea, and nothing wrong with a phone being pretty, but to me, that's a secondary concern.

Obviously, if you can manage to implement both form and function that's pure win. That's why Lumia 800 is my current device. My previous was an Omnia 7, much thinner, but it was horrible to use for exactly that reason - and a number of other factors. Because there are ways to compensate thin phones, so you still get a good experience using it. But thin, by itself, is not a good attribute in phones.

Just my 2 cents :)

Edit: slight correction, just found my old Omnia 7. And it's actually about the same thickness as Lumia 800. I guess it just feels thinner then, because of the poor design of the slippery backplate that forces your to hold it in certain ways.

Last edited:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I really don't understand people complaining about the thickness. First, there is upgrades on all hardware parts from the 900, and yet, it's slightly thinner. How can you complain about that?

2nd, there is a thing such as too thin when it comes to phones. Obviously, it's a preference, but thinner isn't necessarily the better. I for one, embrace a phone that sits well in your palm, it shouldn't be like holding a piece of paper.

In my opinion, one of the main priorities when designing a phone should be how nice it is to hold so you get a nice grip on it. This is why I think the Iphone 4/4s has one the worst designs ever for a phone. It's pretty yea, and nothing wrong with a phone being pretty, but to me, that's a secondary concern.

Obviously, if you can manage to implement both form and function that's pure win. That's why Lumia 800 is my current device. My previous was an Omnia 7, much thinner, but it was horrible to use for exactly that reason - and a number of other factors. Because there are ways to compensate thin phones, so you still get a good experience using it. But thin, by itself, is not a good attribute in phones.

Just my 2 cents :)

Edit: slight correction, just found my old Omnia 7. And it's actually about the same thickness as Lumia 800. I guess it just feels thinner then, because of the poor design of the slippery backplate that forces your to hold it in certain ways.

THIS. ^^

My bro's GS3 feels too thin, light, plastic-ey, and cheap, IMO.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
really???

...well, since I'll be coming from a Dell Venue Pro (.6" thick and 6.8 oz), this phone will be noticeably thinner AND lighter. And for what it's worth, I've never really minded the heft of my DVP so I will definitely be okay with the 920's weight/dimensions.

bb_gonzo

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't care about weight but i do think it look awfully chunky. From what i gathered it is slimmer then the 800, which is absolutely gorgeous, but the curved back makes it look unnecessarily thick. Plus the placement of the headphone jack adds to that impression. Tugged in the corner like the 800 wouldn't expose so much plastic below and above it.
Additionally, while the 12 mm of the 800 certainly isn't slimm the design is quite dated. Back in the day in comparisson it wasn't that bad. Now, with the iPhone 5 coming out at 7,6 mm over 10 mm will just look bulky.
Nevertheless i will probably get me one.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
My first WP phone was the Focus S and people complained that it was too light. I thought it was too light myself so I put it in a case that gave it the right amount of weight for me.

I can't help feeling this way but if you're a guy and you're complaining about the weight of a current cell phone maybe we should be a bow in your hair and call you Shelly. If you want to talk about weight I think I still have an old Motorola Dyna Tech (the one that looked like a walkie-talkie) phone in the basement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss