What a Letdown- Massive Weight, Thickness

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
OP you need to work out and build up those muscles. To say that anything that fits in the palm of your hands is heavy is silly.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This is a good discussion, even tho a little trolling is here...

I looked at the videos of the 920 and it looks like a HUGE phone. I'm coming from a Touch Pro 2, then my current HTC trophy, so you know the size of phones I have used in the last 2-3 years.

Is it me or is it a massive phone compared to the Trophy ? Dont get me wrong, I wanted a larger display for reading books (and higher DPI will make text better to read) and web pages. but, is it too big ?

Will it fit in a pocket fine like my trophy or is it going to stick like someone had a pack of smokes (I dont smoke but, you can tell when someone has pack of smokes in their pocket) ??

Still, I love everything else about the 920 besides the lack of a MicroSD card slot (WHY????????)

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
This is a good discussion, even tho a little trolling is here...

I looked at the videos of the 920 and it looks like a HUGE phone. I'm coming from a Touch Pro 2, then my current HTC trophy, so you know the size of phones I have used in the last 2-3 years.

Is it me or is it a massive phone compared to the Trophy ? Dont get me wrong, I wanted a larger display for reading books (and higher DPI will make text better to read) and web pages. but, is it too big ?

Will it fit in a pocket fine like my trophy or is it going to stick like someone had a pack of smokes (I dont smoke but, you can tell when someone has pack of smokes in their pocket) ??

Still, I love everything else about the 920 besides the lack of a MicroSD card slot (WHY????????)

The HTC Titan is slightly shorter but wider than the 920. I carry it in my left-front dress pants pocket and jeans pocket without issue, although tighter jeans or shallow pockets may be an issue. When I'm sitting at my desk at work, I usually set it on my desk, but more for convenient access than for discomfort.

For the 920, I suspect I won't have it in my jean pockets as often since those pockets aren't as deep, but I think it will be fine in my dress pants.

The 920 is lighter than the Titan, heavier than the ATIV (well, based on what I know of the GS3). I think it was about on par with the Titan for thickness, but I don't recall precisely.

Compared to the Trophy, of course it's HUGE... you're comparing 3.7" to 4.5", lol. I know it's thinner than the Trophy though, but I haven't held the Trophy often enough to compare weight.

All that to say... you really just need to hold it for yourself to decide, but I don't think it would really be an issue unless you wear tight fitting jeans.

sumedh

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
dumb people

People are so dumb.... They are ready to sacrifice loads of useful features for a minor size / weight change...

addicusbrown

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Men: If any of the new phones Nokia, Samsung or HTC have announced or will announce shortly are deemed too heavy or too large to go in your pocket than stop wearing those sissy *** skinny jeans. You may as well be wearing leotards anyways. Sissy boys.

Now if you are a lady please keep wearing those skinny jeans! Unless you are a big girl. Then wear something to accent those curves cause big girls need loving too!

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
"What kind of phone is that?" while holding the 900: Lost count.

"Why is it so thick and heavy?" while holding the 900: Never been asked.

Chinu77

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
so i dont know anyone who has a samsung or iphone has and non cover or shells add to them so lumia 920 unscratchable phone and its huge ability to not be ruined its the same at the end thickness. also they did it on purpose because the lumia curve fits exactly in the hands and so it feels better when it even heavier!

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Its not going to be that much heavier or wider than the 900 I dont have large hands theyre probably on the small side but I dont have any issues with the 9800 I had no real issues with the tilt2 even though I hardly ever used the physical keyboard. If you think its too heavy then do some serious arm curls and get stronger or get the 820. Stop whining about things you have no control over! PLEASE!If you are not whining it sure sounds like it!

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
BTW, has it been pointed out to anyone that the 920 is actually THINNER (by 1mm) than the 900? Because yeah, it is. The 920 is also only 2mm thicker than the ATIV.

It's only slightly heavier than the 900, and both are definitely heavier than the ATIV, but BOTH are lighter than the Titan I and Titan II.

So just so we're all clear moving forward... only the weight is a *real* issue. Carry on.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Ativ

I have a GS3 and I was concerned about the build quality. The build quality and feel in the hand is actually much better than I thought it would be. The screen is great, battery life is excellent for an LTE phone (I get a full day with moderate use with no battery tricks - everything is left on - WiFi, BT, 3g/LTE (Verizon), etc). Not sure how it will do with WP8 since comparisons to WP7 are moot - the only thing the same is the interface. Beginning to wonder if MS is going to get this done on time since the SDK is still not out and no one (except the OEMs) has yet to see it in operation. If you want a big screen phone with excellent performance the Ativ (the 8 MP camera is excellent, also - although it may not compare to the Pureview based Lumia) should be a great phone on whatever carriers it launches on.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think all the manufacturers are making their phones too thin and fragile. How many thread have we seen where someone drops their phone 2ft getting out of their car and shatter the screen. Dave Blake dropped his 1st Titan, I think it was, and his screen shattered

I actually liked the size and weight of the Palm 750. You could play football with the old Palm phones and not break them :cool:

I played with a Samsung Galaxy SIII three weeks ago. I found it too light and slippery. I just know if I had one I'd have to put it in an Otterbox, or else the danged thing would slip out of my hand.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
For those who appreciate the thinner and lighter phones, more power to you - the entire market is shifting in your direction. I personally have never felt that my 11mm Omnia 7 was too thick, and the Lumia 800 sits really nicely in my hand.

Weight is very much an unknown quantity, I'd have to hold the device to see if it feels right.

BOTH are lighter than the Titan I and Titan II.
The 920 is 185g while the Titans are 160g and 147g respectively.

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Weight is very much an unknown quantity, I'd have to hold the device to see if it feels right.

The 920 is 185g while the Titans are 160g and 147g respectively.

Wow. Are you serious about those figures (I didn't look them up for the Titans)? I stand corrected then, but I will say that on Wednesday when I held both in my hands, the Lumia "felt" lighter to me. It certainly felt balanced... the Titan feels bottom heavy (to me).

But then I guess that means you're right... even knowing the weights, it's still a variable since the distribution and balance of that weight makes a huge impact.

Thanks for the information! :)

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 920: 10.7 mm thick and 185 gms! Talk about regressing.

Inexcusable especially with a non removable battery and it is not like you are getting a bigger battery either. It is still 300mAh smaller than the Ativ S.
No one understands that weight is put up because of camera mechanical parts, display tech and sturdy design.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
The camera adds weight, the wireless charging tech, the slight battery size increase, the body size increase as well, but I think the biggest reason for the weight increase is the curvature of the glass. Glass is heavy for it's size. Even if it is gorilla glass, it will still add significant grams to the weight of the device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb