What a Letdown- Massive Weight, Thickness

1414H77

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. As the OP and because my initial reaction was that it was too thick and heavy for my liking i am essentially a "girly man," needing to go the gym! Even though I am probably in the 95th percentile here as to advanced age, I am happy to report that I work out 6 days per week and have done so since President Nixon was in office (most of you were probably not even born until after Reagan or during the Clinton years). No girly man here!

I guess I will just have to wait and see. There's no denying I love the looks of the 920 and I can't see myself with the cheap feeling Samsung type builds. Plus I love the 900, although I really wish it was thinner and weighed less. Its just my preference for the thin and light, but to each his own. I still have a Razr Maxx and it is well built (nowhere as good looking as the Lumia 900 and with Android, which I do not want to use now) and much thinner and lighter, so I know it is possible. There is no going back, though, to Android now that I have tasted Windows Phone.

Off to the gym...

Last edited:

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow I guessed 185. :lol: Alhough I was way off I don't think that makes me dumb.

No, not dumb for knowing how many grams are in a pound. But people being dumb thinking that a whole 5 grams added to their phone is going to change their life. In the cycling world, we call them weight weenies. And 9 times out of 10, their criticisms are not valid.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmm....

I guess I will just have to wait and see. There's no denying I love the looks of the 920 and I can't see myself with the cheap feeling Samsung type builds. Plus I love the 900, although I really wish it was thinner and weighed less. Its just my preference for the thin and light, but to each his own. I still have a Razr Maxx and it is well built (nowhere as good looking as the Lumia 900 and with Android, which I do not want to use now) and much thinner and lighter, so I know it is possible. There is no going back, though, to Android now that I have tasted Windows Phone.

Off to the gym...

Don't take our jokes personally, I know it was more generalized razzing.

Anyway, as someone who held it in person, I really believe you will be okay with the weight, because it is well distributed.

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Here is how the Lumia 920 compares to the iPhone 3GS:

iPhone 3GS -
Height: 4.5 inches (115.5 mm)
Width: 2.4 inches (62.1 mm)
Depth: 0.48 inch (12.3mm)
Weight: 4.8 ounces (135 grams)

Lumia 920 -
5.13 x 2.79 x 0.42 (130.3 x 70.8 x 10.7 mm)
Weight:6.53 oz (185 g)

The Lumia 920 is much thinner than the 3GS. I am sure no one called the 3GS too thick.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
This thing is going to weigh 0.41 pounds (versus 0.353 lbs for Lumia 900), versus 0.30 for the Samsung ATIV. Plus, it will be 0.42" thick (versus 0.45 for Lumia 900), versus 0.34" for the ATIV. This is just plain massive. I know- Samsung is flimsy and plastic, but this is just a hulk. This is very disappointing. I like the Lumia 900, but it is still too heavy and too thick. Anyone else feel the same way?

I'm rocking a used Droid Razr while waiting for WP8 to come to Verizon. I dislike how thin and light it is. I've dropped/fumbled it more than any phone I've ever owned....prefer the heft of my malfunctioning Thunderbolt. So I for one was pleased to see the specs on the 920 and that it had some meat on its bones...

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Funny you mention that... when Apple announced the iPhone 5 yesterday, I began wondering the same thing about it. People already have a hard time protecting it from falls, and I dropped my boss's GS3 while playing with it (it was fine), so I can't imagine having something lighter and thinner that's so fragile.

Then again, look at how many people put them in big bulky cases to protect them and give them some heft. I always thought it was illogical to hide such a "beautiful" (their words) device in such ugly cases, but now I think maybe they're just logically trying to bulk it up.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Then again, look at how many people put them in big bulky cases to protect them and give them some heft. I always thought it was illogical to hide such a "beautiful" (their words) device in such ugly cases, but now I think maybe they're just logically trying to bulk it up.

You've not got kids then :p

Bulky cases are a necessity when you've got an expensive phone, and young kids. My HD7, and the missus' iphone get dropped on our stone tiled kitchen floor at least once a week.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Here is how the Lumia 920 compares to the iPhone 3GS:

iPhone 3GS -
Height: 4.5 inches (115.5 mm)
Width: 2.4 inches (62.1 mm)
Depth: 0.48 inch (12.3mm)
Weight: 4.8 ounces (135 grams)

Lumia 920 -
5.13 x 2.79 x 0.42 (130.3 x 70.8 x 10.7 mm)
Weight:6.53 oz (185 g)

The Lumia 920 is much thinner than the 3GS. I am sure no one called the 3GS too thick.

Because it came out in 2009? We are talking about devices on 2012 and the Nokia 920 is by far the thickest and heavier.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
While I don't want my phone to feel like I have a brick in my pocket, I do feel that it should have some heft to it. The Galaxy S III just felt way too light for how big it is. It's hard to say if the 920 will be too heavy for its size seeing as how most of us haven't even gotten our hands on the darn thing yet.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think thinness gets to the points where it's a little ridiculous.

It reminds me when it was so cool to have a really small phone. Phones got smaller rand smaller and smaller. It was actually pretty funny.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Sure they can. The ad scandal was bad. But it's not going to make me hate on them.

But it's precisely the things that they DO actually make an effort to purposely do that makes me a fan of their products. You know, things like quality and service. Caring about customers. Innovation.

Does that mean I have to be a hater towards brands I don't prefer? Nope. That apparently is your job.

You are a ****** Winning Guy, there's nothing Nokia can do that will look bad in your eyes.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Is there anyone specific other than you who I've actually used the "hater" word with? And even then, I was being light hearted.

It's great to have lots of different opinions.

However, do have a habit of stating your opinions as absolute truths. And if someone points that out to you, you take it offensively.

And come on, you do have a habit of pretty much just complaining about one company.

The fact is, if I don't agree with your sometimes irrational hate, you deem me a ******.

LOL

It's all good though. You bring an interesting drama to the forum.

Come on guy, you throw the Hater bomb at anyone that looks a Nokia wrong. There's shades of grey.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Boris likes it:

yJ3Ue.png

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
haha, good reference.

For all you whiners I will say what someone posted on another site. Get a gym membership. Or you could go buy a Dell Venue Pro which weighs about the same and start working out with it. By November you should have enough arm strength to lift a 920. Just make sure you work both arms or people will look at you funny.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
haha, good reference.

For all you whiners I will say what someone posted on another site. Get a gym membership. Or you could go buy a Dell Venue Pro which weighs about the same and start working out with it. By November you should have enough arm strength to lift a 920. Just make sure you work both arms or people will look at you funny.

I was just thinking of the Dell and actually checked the dimensions. And as someone who still owns a few, its heavier than my 900 but because of the curved surfaces it fits so well in the hand you dont really notice the weight. I think the same will apply to the 920 for most people who arent frilly girls! :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720