I desperately wanted a quad core Nokia WP8 and am sad to see 920 is dual core as speculated, for a flagship device it would of been better to have quad core.

Currently I have a HTC Titan and it zips along fine compared to my laggy ipod touch and old HTC Desires and Galaxy S2 so I know it's not all about the processor for the OS but can't help thinking Nokia have missed a huge chance by having the same dual core in the 820 & 920.

HTC are meant to be unveiling a single core, dual core and quad core so I will wait and see, at the moment it looks like a choice between pure horsepower of HTC if they do release a quad core and the camera / wireless charge / screen of Nokia.

Also the exclusive apps thing worries me a bit and is forcing me to choose Nokia or miss out on goodness.
    09-05-2012 03:32 PM
    09-05-2012 04:21 PM
    Do you have confirmation that Microsoft has certified quad core chips yet? If not how is Nokia supposed to put a quad core chip in their phones and how could they have "compromised"? And I guess all those users using dual core phones like the Motorola announced today are using "old" tech?

Its becoming clear, no one really wants Windows Phone to succeed, different excuses popping up everywhere from different people.
    09-05-2012 04:49 PM
    A question that I do not think deserves its own thread -

My only reservation with the 920 and its "smile" shape is that it might rock from side to side when placed flat on a table. Anyone here had hands on or seen a video that suggests it does or does not rock on a flat surface?
    09-05-2012 09:35 PM
    I'm pretty sure it does thunderbird. I remember recently seeing a vid of the 800 being used on a table and as the person was swiping it was rocking back and forth. I'm actually a bit disappointed they didn't go more round with the screen like the 800 did. This one is actually mostly flat. The back being more round. Still sexy tho :lol:
    09-06-2012 12:27 AM
    I would assume the back of the phone is so convex to allow the camera hardware to fit.
    09-06-2012 12:29 AM
    Help me understand something. (Serious question here.) You say you'd want to see a quad core, and I totally get the desire for the most robust, high-spec tech out there.

But why do you feel that would be an improvement to Windows Phone 8? What would quad core accomplish that dual core doesn't? From what I understand, Windows 8 is a pretty zippy little OS and does quite well without the extra processing power. In fact, the quad core poses the risk of abbreviated battery life.

So what functions would you expect to be enhanced by the quad over dual? How would that work for you in "real life" use? What would your phone be incapable of doing (or unbearably slow at doing) with just the dual core?
    09-06-2012 12:35 PM
    What would quad core accomplish that dual core doesn't? From what I understand, Windows 8 is a pretty zippy little OS and does quite well without the extra processing power. In fact, the quad core poses the risk of abbreviated battery life.
    In fact that is the only thing quad core would offer and because of that Nokia decided on dual core instead of quad.
    09-06-2012 01:32 PM
    Sure dual core is all well and good now but I want my device to last as long as possible & some sense of future proofness.
    If more complex apps and games are made for WP8 I don't want performance to suffer & not be able to use them in 6 months to a year.

Totally understand WP is fast without quad & love how fast my Titan is but there is nothing wrong with wanting as much top line tech as possible in a new device.

The other side of it is that if any Android or Apple fans were to see the specs on this phone they would probably say "that's the flagship device, it still has dual core we're all on quad. lol" and dismiss WP & Nokia..pretty much as a lot of people do now.

People these days like specs and specs sells phone, if HTC have a quad core like they said a couple of months ago then it makes Nokia look a bit pants as the main partner being out done. If HTC can quad why can't Nokia.

Just my thoughts.
    09-07-2012 04:07 AM
    The impression i have from my not so tech savvy friends with regards to the 920 is:

It's not a high-end device. It doesn't have quad core like the S3...

Windows Phone lacks apps, like f.eks Instagram...

So most people who dont really understand the difference between operating systems, blindly look at CPU and memory. And they want all their favoritt apps.

Other than that they think they phone looks great, and they would consider buying one.
    09-07-2012 05:23 AM
    The Lumia 800 doesn't "rock" side to side on a flat table. That being said, I think the "smile" shape on the 920 is more prominent than on the 800. Looking at it, I have a hard time believing that it won't rock a little bit, although most of the weight is in the center of the device. A review will clarify this, and there will be review before you can buy it anyway.

Also, I was never expecting a quadcore from Nokia, because it would be silly and bring costs higher with no _actual_ gain. They would have another selling point, sure, but it'd be a fake one. There is a time and place for quad core on WP. But it's not yet. I really don't think HTC will launch a quadcore either. If they do, it's because that's the only thing they can think of to set them apart from Nokia and Samsung and hope to get some attention that way. But it will be on the same premise as I mentioned before, it won't actually improve the device (other than benchmarks, no real apps can take advantage of 4 cores yet, very few can even do this on android) and it will cost more to produce.
    At least. that's my understanding.

I'm really looking forward to the 920, specc-wise it's got EVERYTHING, you need and could possibly want. But I simply HATE that they went with the glossy coating. I will never touch one with the glossy coating, I have a feeling that it's harder to get a grip on, can anyone with the white 900 confirm? But besides that, I just think it looks silly.
    The yellow in matte I could consider, but glossy, no way. Matte red would look nice too. But nope. Here's hoping the grey and black are made in matte versions, especially the grey. Because why would you make a grey glossy, it won't shine will it? Give me a matte one! obviously I'd prefer a matte cyan, but hey. any other color might look good with matte too. Should we start spamming Nokia with demand for matte?
    09-07-2012 05:59 AM
    the thing that has me down about this phone is that it's not using the s4 pro I was hoping to see this with the adreno 325 while the current gpu does a fine job of pushing a 720p display( I have an HTC evo lte) I was hoping to see a phone with gpu that could rival the ipad 3
    09-07-2012 07:05 AM
    The impression i have from my not so tech savvy friends with regards to the 920 is:

It's not a high-end device. It doesn't have quad core like the S3...

Windows Phone lacks apps, like f.eks Instagram...

So most people who dont really understand the difference between operating systems, blindly look at CPU and memory. And they want all their favoritt apps.

Other than that they think they phone looks great, and they would consider buying one.
    Exactly, most people look at 3 things - specs, apps and what their friends have...as much as I love WP & the 920 it is still coming up short in all 3 areas.
    Sure the specs are better, the apps are better and will be better with WP8 but still it is hard to convince people to switch, sure they like it when they play on my Titan but they won't change from iPhone or Android because of the 3 area's I stated.
    09-07-2012 07:41 AM
    People rely too much on those 3 aspects. A while back I recommended a 900 to a friend, and they told me they'd rather have a 4s because "the iPhone has a dual core processor, and the Nokia doesn't, so it's slower". Now that being said, many of my friends are unfortunately iSheep, but they couldn't be more wrong.

Personally I don't believe that a device needs to have high end specs to zip around the OS nicely, with some good optimization and minimum fragmentation, you can get a good, smooth experience at a good price point. Look at all the gen1/2 windows phones,they were all extremely speedy and all sported single core chips, and specs that would be considered "lackluster" on Android.

I personally believe that MS did good by not approving quad core chips yet, they're unnecessary in the fact that WP doesn't need them to be quick, and ll they'd do is increase fragmentation and prices. Besides, the 920 has the same processor as the S3, while it's not quad core, it's still very modern and will make WP a very enjoyable experience.
    Kredrian likes this.
    09-07-2012 08:08 AM
    I desperately wanted a quad core Nokia WP8 and am sad to see 920 is dual core as speculated, for a flagship device it would of been better to have quad core.

Currently I have a HTC Titan and it zips along fine compared to my laggy ipod touch and old HTC Desires and Galaxy S2 so I know it's not all about the processor for the OS but can't help thinking Nokia have missed a huge chance by having the same dual core in the 820 & 920.

HTC are meant to be unveiling a single core, dual core and quad core so I will wait and see, at the moment it looks like a choice between pure horsepower of HTC if they do release a quad core and the camera / wireless charge / screen of Nokia.

Also the exclusive apps thing worries me a bit and is forcing me to choose Nokia or miss out on goodness.
    I don't see how Quad core would have meant much, especially since that would have meant no LTE, would use more battery life, and I don't think you would see much improvement performance wise. Possibly it might improve the overall speed of the UI, but its already going to be rather skippy, so I don't think you would really notice. As for software, any app you download would have to take Quad core into account to get the benefit of using it would it not? Hey! A Dev, answer that one for me, I would like to know the answer regardless...

I think if you look at the overall package of the aesthetic of the device, coupled with the HD+ screen, the camera and all its goodies, wireless charging, etc, etc, it will be difficult for other OEM's to compete.
    09-07-2012 09:56 AM
    People rely too much on those 3 aspects. A while back I recommended a 900 to a friend, and they told me they'd rather have a 4s because "the iPhone has a dual core processor, and the Nokia doesn't, so it's slower". Now that being said, many of my friends are unfortunately iSheep, but they couldn't be more wrong.

Personally I don't believe that a device needs to have high end specs to zip around the OS nicely, with some good optimization and minimum fragmentation, you can get a good, smooth experience at a good price point. Look at all the gen1/2 windows phones,they were all extremely speedy and all sported single core chips, and specs that would be considered "lackluster" on Android.

I personally believe that MS did good by not approving quad core chips yet, they're unnecessary in the fact that WP doesn't need them to be quick, and ll they'd do is increase fragmentation and prices. Besides, the 920 has the same processor as the S3, while it's not quad core, it's still very modern and will make WP a very enjoyable experience.
    I don't undertand the iPhone crowd at all, but then again, I think you have to be one to understand. Regardless, I think most people just get caught up in the "My CPU is bigger than your CPU" kinda thing. Like when you see middle aged men buying Corvettes. Its not just because they like the car, want the young ladies, and makes them feel younger, its so they can drive up next to a twenty year old thats still in his rusted out Honda Civic and give him a look that says, "See this... you will never have it..". Anyways, my point is, that a lot of people just want bragging rights, and don't really care if the device is any good, is a good experience, or really meets their needs.
    09-07-2012 10:00 AM

I think if you look at the overall package of the aesthetic of the device, coupled with the HD+ screen, the camera and all its goodies, wireless charging, etc, etc, it will be difficult for other OEM's to compete.
    Agree the overall phone does look awesome and unless HTC pull out something amazing the 920 will be my next phone...if only it wasn't 2 months away!!
    09-07-2012 10:03 AM
    You do realise that it is (I think) in fact a nex-gen dual core? From the chipset number it is a dual core Krait chipset. Now I know synthetic benchies aren't the best guide, but the dual core krait absolutely spanks the samsung exynos quad core in the SG3
    Add into that the WP doesn't need the horsepower that andoid does and you have a beast of a performer hopefully...
    09-07-2012 10:07 AM
    Samsung or Nokia would have quad core ready now if there was one available. You need to remember that WP8 is closed system when it comes to hardware. Microsoft wants to keep it secure so it can take the best out of the hardware, optimize it.

Kind of the same as the now old iPhone 4S beating the 64 core whatever Android phones in plain smoothness and speed.

Samsung and Nokia are not just using dual core in a same clock speed on their devices, they are using the exact same MSM8960 Qualcomm SoC.

I'm confident you will see all of these 4 launch partners (dunno about Huawei) launching at least one phone with MSM8960 and that's the limit.

Q1 or Q2 these same companies might launch quad core devices with again the same SoC.
    09-07-2012 10:37 AM
    Agree the overall phone does look awesome and unless HTC pull out something amazing the 920 will be my next phone...if only it wasn't 2 months away!!
    I think I'm already sold on the 920 but I'll reserve judgment until HTC unveil their wares. Currently got a One S and the build quality is second to none; rock solid, simple and uncluttered, without doubt one the best designed/built Android devices out there when compared to the sea of flimsy plastic others use (Samsung I'm looking at you!!)
    09-07-2012 11:32 AM
    We all know how quad-core means pretty much squat for a phone.

We all know how much the general consumer relies on specs when buying a new phone.

We can tell ourselves that quad is not needed because quite frankly it is not. It's just that it's hard telling the rest of the world that.
    09-08-2012 01:10 PM
    I don't think the quad-core matters, but not having Instagram does.
    09-08-2012 01:19 PM
    I don't think the quad-core matters, but not having Instagram does.
    I don't get some of my friends' obsession with Instagram as they only end up posting the pictures on Facebook. I can do exactly the same with an app like Instacam.

For those that use the social network aspect, I expect that this will change soon enough now that Facebook owns it and they'll most likely integrate it into the FB network anyway.
    09-08-2012 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD