Do you think there is another phone better than Lumia 920?

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
It's not that the SGS3 would be badly built, it's just that Nokia's in general are much better built. I guess same can be said for iPhone, but Apple keeps showing how a good build doesnt get you far if the materials used are wrong :D

iPhone is made up of premiumed material but, its glass which is even more fargile than cheap plastic used in Galaxy. Lumia's material is not only of premiumed class but its tough. Long time back I saw some videos in which a Lumia 900 survived a 2 story fall and some gentlemen using Lumia 900 to nail.

the_coolestnerd

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
galaxy s3

well i'm sold on getting the 920, the camera, wireless charging and screen are killer features, but this android ****** happen to comment on my FB status when i said i can't wait to get it. He proceeded to give me an exhaustive read on why the galaxy is great and the lumia is (excuse the language) but a shiny piece of ****.

here's his comment:

" -Better camera? Let's actually wait until it's released..instead of ASSUMING. All of the high-end phones have very good cameras, you won't see any discernable differences due to space limitations. Try again.
-Higher Res Screen? 768x1280 vs 720x1280? Are you really going to bring up such a microscopic difference? BTW, there are phones already on the market with 800x1280...so there goes that argument lol
-lol Use the screen with gloves on? Really? This is a point you want to make? Really? Gloves? LMAO
-I spoke about the wireless charging already... perhaps you missed that. I'd suggest you re-read what was written.
-I also already touched on NFC...perhaps you should re-read that also. FYI there's more to NFC than making purchases, and the Lumia comes up short big time.
-And you're absolutely right, Windows Phone's app selection is beyond horrid. That's enough of a reason in itself to not touch it with a flagpole. Not to mention it's extremely limited customization capability.

Now that we've got that out of the way, let me know when the Lumia can:
-Transfer data among a plethora of devices via NFC
-Predict my next destination and alert to to any traffic delays on the route ahead of time...WITHOUT ME LOOKING ANYTHING UP.
-Notify me when it's time for me to leave to be at an appointment, and let me know ahead of time if there's traffic and tells me what time to leave so I can be there on time...ALL WITHOUT ME DOING ANYTHING ON MY PHONE.
-Make suggestions of places I might be interested in stopping by while I'm out (based on places I've gone in the past)
-Recognize my face and know who I am
-Recognize my friends faces
-Unlock the phone with my face
-Reflow text in the browser to fit the screen
-Connect to television via HDMI
-Connect a Playstation 3 controller via bluetooth and play video games....ON A TELEVISION, like a real console.
-Add however much additional storage I want via Micro-SD
-Have eye tracking and knows to keep the screen from timing out while I'm looking at it.
-Alert me of notifications just by me picking up the phone (screen doesn't need to be on)
-Take burst photos
-Have access to news feeds, emails, voicemails, weather, and anything else all on one screen.
-listen to voicemails while going through my call log
-Integrate any app I'd like into the OS
-Have my apps reinstall themselves even when I get a new device

You may now be seated...have a nice day."

outside of a few android only features, the lumia can do everything the s3 can do and then some....but does he have a good point?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Aren't the Lumia 920/820 the only phones that connect to both GPS and GLONASS satellitles for navigation?

Related question: Does this mean the Lumia 920 shows my location even if I am in the middle of nowhere with no cell signal, let's say in thr Arizona desert or the Siberian wilderness?

All announced WP8 devices have access to GLONASS and will work without a data connection.

thejuiceman236

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I am debating between the Lumia 920 and the HTC One X+.

I am worried about getting bored with windows phone because you get tiles and that's it. No other options for folders, notification center, gestures, nothing.

I have never used windows phone on a regular basis so can someone please add their experience and opinion on windows phone vs android? There just seems to be no limits on android but many on windows as far as what you can do. Thanks.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I am debating between the Lumia 920 and the HTC One X+.

I am worried about getting bored with windows phone because you get tiles and that's it. No other options for folders, notification center, gestures, nothing.

I have never used windows phone on a regular basis so can someone please add their experience and opinion on windows phone vs android? There just seems to be no limits on android but many on windows as far as what you can do. Thanks.

WP is less about changing settings and more about letting your content surface more effectively. If you want a phone without limits to do "stuff" WP wont really meet your needs. WP8 will have more features but the philosophy is the same, to be simple to use and not too much to fiddle with.

rognot

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Since the beginning of apples iPhone I have had all smartphones from them and I am bored... Now the time is coming that there is a (looks like) system which you can use on tablets, PC, phones etc etc. just starting to work like a computer on all levels.
At this moment I am choosing Lumia 920 for the next 1 to 2 years and will find out if this is the way to go. Nokia was always a big number on mobiles and I had a lot of them mobiles. Nokia was always a reliable deliverer of mobile solutions.
So I will start on WP8 with Lumia 920. Others like HTC and Samsung I did not like because of what Nokia is delivering with its own apps.
Good bye Apple :). It was a good time, thanks. Next step will be to replace my iPad to Surface or an Asus :)

Posted from My Mobile App

thejuiceman236

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
WP is less about changing settings and more about letting your content surface more effectively. If you want a phone without limits to do "stuff" WP wont really meet your needs. WP8 will have more features but the philosophy is the same, to be simple to use and not too much to fiddle with.

Thanks for the reply. I think that may be what I need. Simple but still fast fluid and beautiful with not a whole bunch of "stuff" to mess with like you said lol. I still worry though that the tiles may not be enough. I guess I'll give it a try because the hardware is amazing on the 920.

I have used android before so I know what it is about. I really want too be the 920 and windows phone 8 and the smooth pretty simplicity. I really really do. :)

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
don't worry, as a fellow android techie, Im nervous about the simplicity of WP8 as well. Im not going to miss the 2 days it takes to set up a new phone, settings and apps after I install a ROM, but I will miss some of the tinkering.
I intend to console myself by using some of the time I save by going out and using city lens to discover new places ;)

Yang_H

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
The only other phone currently lures me a bit is Samsung Galaxy Note II. That's *only* because it has a 5.5" screen with stylus.

I'm longing for being able to take notes using my iPad, but even a genius like Steve Jobs failed me by not giving it a true hand writing capability. Fingers or those capacitive stylus pens (I tried literally a dozen of them) are simply atrocious for real hand writing. I heard that the stylus writes very well on Galaxy Note I/II. Frankly, if Note II is a WP8 phone I'll probably buy it instead of 920 just for that stylus feature plus a bigger screen.

Other than that, 920 sounds to me like a WP8 phone as good as it gets. I'll be ecstatic if I can use a regular pen or anything with a fine tip to do real handwriting on its super-sensitive touch screen.

gpatrick15

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Not all Android users are douchebag fanboys, just as WP users and iPhone users aren't all hipster doofuses. And the typical Android user doesn't take 2 days to set up their phones. Setting up an Android phone is no more complex than setting up any other phone. Sign in, decide if you want to link the phone to your Google account, and then you're all set. I have been an Android user since day 1, with the only break being a Blackberry 9700 (I think) and an iPhone 4. But I always went back to Android. The beauty of Android is that it can be as simple as you want it to be, or as complex as you'd like as well. But I'm not here to defend it. I'm here because I have an upgrade available on AT&T and may use it on the 920 when it releases. WP7 wasn't my cup of tea, but WP8 has piqued my interest a bit, and I find myself wanting to try it out. If the new Nexus isn't up to snuff, I may be convinced to go another direction. Or I may get them both. Not sure yet. Either way, I want to familiarize myself with the OS, regardless if it's my main device or not.

thejuiceman236

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
don't worry, as a fellow android techie, Im nervous about the simplicity of WP8 as well. Im not going to miss the 2 days it takes to set up a new phone, settings and apps after I install a ROM, but I will miss some of the tinkering.
I intend to console myself by using some of the time I save by going out and using city lens to discover new places ;)

Nice!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
well i'm sold on getting the 920, the camera, wireless charging and screen are killer features, but this android ****** happen to comment on my FB status when i said i can't wait to get it. He proceeded to give me an exhaustive read on why the galaxy is great and the lumia is (excuse the language) but a shiny piece of ****.

here's his comment:

" -Better camera? Let's actually wait until it's released..instead of ASSUMING. All of the high-end phones have very good cameras, you won't see any discernable differences due to space limitations. Try again.
-Higher Res Screen? 768x1280 vs 720x1280? Are you really going to bring up such a microscopic difference? BTW, there are phones already on the market with 800x1280...so there goes that argument lol
-lol Use the screen with gloves on? Really? This is a point you want to make? Really? Gloves? LMAO
-I spoke about the wireless charging already... perhaps you missed that. I'd suggest you re-read what was written.
-I also already touched on NFC...perhaps you should re-read that also. FYI there's more to NFC than making purchases, and the Lumia comes up short big time.
-And you're absolutely right, Windows Phone's app selection is beyond horrid. That's enough of a reason in itself to not touch it with a flagpole. Not to mention it's extremely limited customization capability.

Now that we've got that out of the way, let me know when the Lumia can:
-Transfer data among a plethora of devices via NFC
-Predict my next destination and alert to to any traffic delays on the route ahead of time...WITHOUT ME LOOKING ANYTHING UP.
-Notify me when it's time for me to leave to be at an appointment, and let me know ahead of time if there's traffic and tells me what time to leave so I can be there on time...ALL WITHOUT ME DOING ANYTHING ON MY PHONE.
-Make suggestions of places I might be interested in stopping by while I'm out (based on places I've gone in the past)
-Recognize my face and know who I am
-Recognize my friends faces
-Unlock the phone with my face
-Reflow text in the browser to fit the screen
-Connect to television via HDMI
-Connect a Playstation 3 controller via bluetooth and play video games....ON A TELEVISION, like a real console.
-Add however much additional storage I want via Micro-SD
-Have eye tracking and knows to keep the screen from timing out while I'm looking at it.
-Alert me of notifications just by me picking up the phone (screen doesn't need to be on)
-Take burst photos
-Have access to news feeds, emails, voicemails, weather, and anything else all on one screen.
-listen to voicemails while going through my call log
-Integrate any app I'd like into the OS
-Have my apps reinstall themselves even when I get a new device

You may now be seated...have a nice day."

outside of a few android only features, the lumia can do everything the s3 can do and then some....but does he have a good point?

Sounds like an egotistical wanker to me... (excuse the language). I get told the WP is ****, but never to that extent...

Also, the burst shots... my HTC WP can already done it. One of his arguments is debunked.

The storage... Lumia 820 does it, although I accept it's a second rate phone. ATIV S does it too, and it's premium. Sounds like a Galaxy S3 ******, as not all Androids can be boosted with microSD

Does he use Windows on his PC?

Last edited:

thejuiceman236

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like an egotistical wanker to me... (excuse the language). I get told the WP is ****, but never to that extent...

Also, the burst shots... my HTC WP can already done it. One of his arguments is debunked.

The storage... Lumia 820 does it, although I accept it's a second rate phone. ATIV S does it too, and it's premium. Sounds like a Galaxy S3 ******, as not all Androids can be boosted with microSD

Does he use Windows on his PC?

Some of his arguments are from jellybean which he most likely does not have yet. It has barely rolled out to any GS3's.

ornat777

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
application wise there is, android and iphone.
it's up to people to decide wether they care more about the phone and the hardware or the apps.
ios, as boring as it may be, is a very smooth os, extremley popular with the app store.
using a phone which has a mainstream os is an advantage, and currently we still don't know about the wp8 and how will it be and all of the features..
there are many things that irritates me that microsoft needs to work on, things as basic such as wanting to see the battery status. you can only top the status bar and see it for a couple of seconds but you can't really chose to view it on the status bar all the time. also, what if I want to view the precentage of the battery? with iphone i have an option and also with android and now for example if i want to do it on windows phone, its hard, once again comes the mainstream part.
its also about many other issues you have or things you want to do with a phone.
with an android or iphone you can find much more solutions right now than you can with a windows phone.
wp8 just like ios is also a closed os. and that means that you can't download and install any app you want and you also have to use zune to transfer music and videos.
plus for those of us who used the iphone and who are used to jailbreaking being so popular its going to be hard to adapt. I see that jailbreaking isn't that popular with the windows phones, and for some people who wants to enjoy free apps it will be a problem.
the lumia 920 is an amazing phone, but will the os deliver?
we will have to wait and see.
and I also consider buying the lumia 920. can you people enlighten me? tell me about your personal experience with a windows phone?

Last edited:

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
And the typical Android user doesn't take 2 days to set up their phones. Setting up an Android phone is no more complex than setting up any other phone. Sign in, decide if you want to link the phone to your Google account, and then you're all set.
The beauty of Android is that it can be as simple as you want it to be, or as complex as you'd like as well.

my problem was that I liked to personalise every single aspect even down to individual ringtones for my contacts, it really was a 2 day task :(
Sad I know, but in a strange way I sort of enjoyed it and got a real kick once I knew it was set up.
WP8 will be an interesting experiment for me, a bland generic experience or so it will seem, but Im willing to live with that for the shared ecosystem experience which has piqued my interest too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb