11-10-2012 05:50 PM
122 123 ...
tools
    I had to ask this question. We all love (almost all) the way Lumia phones look. But is wireless charging and PureView enough to make you reach a decision? Or do you think you will get over the looks and buy another phone for more practically or any other reason. E.g. SDcard, replaceable battery, 3.5 mm audio pin location, etc.
    09-07-2012 11:46 AM
    Personal preference. I have a Lumia 900 so I already dont have an SD card slot so wont miss that but will get more storage. The screen will be bigger and higher resolution, battery will be bigger, camera better, wireless charging, blur free screen. For me these features are superior to an even bigger screen, SD card slot and bigger/removable battery and enough to make me choose the 920. For others these same features would make another phone better and they will choose that. It will all come down to personal preference.
    Kredrian likes this.
    09-07-2012 11:52 AM
    I just wanted to add that I personally like the way Nokia 920 looks and may buy it for just that reason. Even though I like the option of SDcard in the Lumia 820.
    09-07-2012 11:53 AM
    Ativ S seems to be a good phone. Lets see what HTC will bring to the table. I am seriously hoping they come back to the Microsoft game. I loved their Wizard 100 and Touch Pro 2 (SEA edition).
    09-07-2012 12:01 PM
    IMO, it's hard to recommend other brands because Nokia is adding so much value to their devices on top of their already impressive hardware.
    09-07-2012 12:10 PM
    IMO, it's hard to recommend other brands because Nokia is adding so much value to their devices on top of their already impressive hardware.
    That raises another question. Do you feel people will choose Nokia over others even if others come up with a better phone? Do you think Nokia has already won this game?
    09-07-2012 12:16 PM
    That raises another question. Do you feel people will choose Nokia over others even if others come up with a better phone? Do you think Nokia has already won this game?
    I think they did won the war already. Right now I might go with a 820, I might change my ming but there is some advantages that the 820 has over the 920 (SD card, removable battery). I think the Activ-S has those advantages as well but I love what Nokia is doing and all the exclusive app might win me over in not considering a HTC or Samsung phone (I currently own a Focus)
    09-07-2012 12:34 PM
    Simple answer... No!

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Cellus13 likes this.
    09-07-2012 12:40 PM
    Its all about personal preference.. One thing is for sure.. Nokia puts so much attention to detail onto their devices and it really shows on both hardware and software..
    09-07-2012 12:44 PM
    I hope the Black version is a matte color..
    09-07-2012 12:45 PM
    Simple answer... No!

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Looking at some other replies, I don't think the answer is that simple.
    09-07-2012 12:49 PM
    I hope the Black version is a matte color..
    I heard the gray and black are both matte.
    09-07-2012 12:50 PM
    One more thing in the mix...HTC phones will have Beats (tm) audio. Some of us might get tempted.
    09-07-2012 12:51 PM
    I have wanted higher res and more memory. This is the first Windows Phone that generally matches competing flagship phones. I'm gonna get one, and when a 'better equipped' phone is quickly released, I won't feel bad at all.
    09-07-2012 01:14 PM
    I have wanted higher res and more memory. This is the first Windows Phone that generally matches competing flagship phones. I'm gonna get one, and when a 'better equipped' phone is quickly released, I won't feel bad at all.
    A better Windows phone? Or any better hardware?

Update: ok. I got it now what you meant. I am a little slow ;)
    threed61 likes this.
    09-07-2012 01:36 PM
    Last I heard, out of all WP OEMs, Nokia already makes up 59% of total sales. It's really their game to lose.
    09-07-2012 02:17 PM
    Add this into the mix and the 920 just keeps on looking better and better.

Nokia Lumia 920 “HAAC” Rich Recording microphones confirmed - SlashGear
    Reflexx and sholokov like this.
    09-07-2012 02:24 PM
    I guess we'll see.

I'm not sure what "better phone" they'd come out with, other than just design preferences. They could add a quad-core, but that wouldn't really make any noticeable difference in performance. I suppose they could add more RAM. SD card support would be good for some. Or 64 GB of storage to begin with.

The real "better" would be if they came out with some sort of real technical innovation that others can't do. Like Nokia's PureView.

If somehow an OEM got Lytro support, that would be a big deal.

But if all things were equal, even without PureView, just the amount of app support Nokia gives is hard to compete against. Other OEMs need to step it up with the custom apps.
    09-07-2012 02:26 PM
    At this time, NO there is not a better Windows Phone 8 device out there right now BUT ! It's too early to ask this question.

Samsung has only showed 1 model, HTC only has 1 device shown. You need to give everyone a fair time frame to show their phones.

Ask this question 3 days before WP8 is about to be released, by then we should know all the models that will be hitting in most carriers (some carriers hold back a little but we should know most of it by then).

HTC shows on the 19th... let's talk after that. After all the Titan 2 had better specs than the Lumia 900 by far. HTC is going to have something to go head to head with the 920, count on it...
    09-07-2012 02:36 PM
    I like Nokia for their commitment to Windows and tight relationship with MS. and their bonus exclusive apps
    sholokov, Apoc, pvcleave and 1 others like this.
    09-07-2012 02:42 PM
    imo - there is no better phone, its simply what works for you and your life. I use xbox, windows PC's @ home and work - after I gave this OS a try I never went back, fell in love with it and its the first phone I enjoy. I always found myself flashing Android, reflashing and tweaking, and iPhone left me feeling like I was in a silo as most apps dont integrate, they simply perform a function for some other software that required to be opened to utilize it, so step after step after step I was finally done performing a simple facebook photo post. WP just feels right and fits with my lifestyle and needs.
    sholokov, jusdis and Winfonejunkie like this.
    09-07-2012 03:39 PM
    At this time, NO there is not a better Windows Phone 8 device out there right now BUT ! It's too early to ask this question.

Samsung has only showed 1 model, HTC only has 1 device shown. You need to give everyone a fair time frame to show their phones.

Ask this question 3 days before WP8 is about to be released, by then we should know all the models that will be hitting in most carriers (some carriers hold back a little but we should know most of it by then).

HTC shows on the 19th... let's talk after that. After all the Titan 2 had better specs than the Lumia 900 by far. HTC is going to have something to go head to head with the 920, count on it...
    David in CT, I am Sholokov in CT :)

You mentioned that Samsung and HTC only showed one device each. I would think they would show their best device first so people have ample time to compare it with other phones in the market and start planning on getting one. Why would they release their best phone in the last minute?
    09-08-2012 12:49 AM
    To be fair even though i love the microsoft ecosystem i do not consider myself to be a true fan boy. And to be honest, as of recently sony has REALLY stepped up their game and has gone back to their roots of quality fit and finish. This phone in the video bellow i believe is the only phone that could best the 920 in any way shape or form.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJErcswfto0[/YT]
    09-08-2012 12:59 AM
    To be fair even though i love the microsoft ecosystem i do not consider myself to be a true fan boy. And to be honest, as of recently sony has REALLY stepped up their game and has gone back to their roots of quality fit and finish. This phone in the video bellow i believe is the only phone that could best the 920 in any way shape or form.

What phone is it? I can't see the video on my wp7 internet explorer.

Update: Nevermind, link appeared when I posted this reply.
    09-08-2012 01:08 AM

Wow! Mr T is impressive.
    09-08-2012 01:15 AM
122 123 ...