06-18-2013 07:52 AM
51 123
tools
    There are already phones in the market that run on Quad core. The new iPhone will also be a quad core. Why did Nokia choose dual core when they were already adding a bigger battery. WP8 may not need it now, but don't you think they would go to quad core in the near future? If yes then why not NOW?
    09-07-2012 12:12 PM
    There are already phones in the market that run on Quad core. The new iPhone will also be a quad core. Why did Nokia choose dual core when they were already adding a bigger battery. WP8 may not need it now, but don't you think they would go to quad core in the near future? If yes then why not NOW?
    Do you even know the technical benefits of a quad core processor on a mobile phone? Don't fall in love with blogger buzzwords. Windows phones have demonstrated that they have plenty of power to run what's there.

Android phones had their push for more cores because of the inherent sluggishness of the operating system.
    hipporama likes this.
    09-07-2012 01:46 PM
    You can hardly find desktop applications that take full advantage of quad core processors, there are very few mobile applications that take full advantage of dual cores, let alone quad cores. android and the iphone have had dual cores for over a year, is there anything so far that fully takes advantage of those dual cores? Is there anything in the pipeline that is being developed to take advantage of quad cores? Anything you feel is not possible that justifies quad cores?

Seems "future proofing" by adding quad cores is pointless when there is no evidence that today's dual core technology is being used to its full potential or has reached its limits.
    Reflexx, sholokov and hipporama like this.
    09-07-2012 02:05 PM
    A second core is really useful for allowing the os to do stuff in the background while not effecting your experience.

On an os level, I doubt more cores will make any difference.

Games and heavy weight applications will benefit from more cores but they have to be written to use them.

I doubt there's much on IOS or android that can fully utilise quad core.it'll take ages for that content to get to wp8. So now point in quad core for some time.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
    09-07-2012 02:06 PM
    Yes = If the OS supports quad core
    No = If the OS does not support quad core
    Yes = The OS does not support quad core but apps can be programmed to take advantage of the extra horsepower.
    sholokov likes this.
    09-07-2012 02:15 PM
    I could see the argument for dual-core, even though the OS runs mighty fast on a single core. The argument would be that a full processor can be used completely for an application or game.

But even good games don't require a quad-core. And I think we're probably at least 3 or 4 years away from that being a requirement for top games on WP.

If one core is running OS functions, then you have a full core that can be dedicated to a game. Then you also have the GPU, which has more an influence on the game's graphics performance than how many cores a processor has.
    theefman and sholokov like this.
    09-07-2012 02:20 PM
    Saving it for Lumia 1000. That's the only reason I can think why they named this phone 920, because they have a plan for later. Just a thought.
    09-07-2012 10:23 PM
    It would be good if nokia made a padfone like device so you could also run winRT when you dock your phone into a tablet or laptop shell. other than that there is really no point. i would rather see development in mobile graphics more than average cpu power. Because new smartphone gpu's over the years have enabled better games, better real world use, less animation lag, faster browsing, etc..
    09-07-2012 11:44 PM
    Do you even know the technical benefits of a quad core processor on a mobile phone? Don't fall in love with blogger buzzwords. Windows phones have demonstrated that they have plenty of power to run what's there.

Android phones had their push for more cores because of the inherent sluggishness of the operating system.
    To your question, my answer is "no". Precisely why I asked.
    09-08-2012 12:41 AM
    Yes = If the OS supports quad core
    No = If the OS does not support quad core
    Yes = The OS does not support quad core but apps can be programmed to take advantage of the extra horsepower.
    wp8 does support quad core.
    09-08-2012 01:02 AM
    Fyi there isn't a quad core iPhone coming. Another fyi, lte and quad core doesn't work
    Last edited by cckgz4; 09-08-2012 at 01:47 AM.
    GoodThings2Life and Villain like this.
    09-08-2012 01:41 AM
    Fyi there isn't a quad core iPhone coming. Another fyi, lte and quad core doesn't work
    iPhone 5 quad-core processor rumored

Check it out...
    09-08-2012 02:09 AM
    What does LTE have to do anything with quad core? How do you mean there is compatibility issue?
    09-08-2012 06:02 PM
    What does LTE have to do anything with quad core? How do you mean there is compatibility issue?
    That is the reason all LTE devices in the U.S. do not have quad-core processors. The new iPad has quad-core GPU and not CPU. The Galaxy S3 devices in Europe have quad-core CPUs, but no LTE.

Maybe it's possible now, but the iPhone to be announced may just have a quad-core GPU like the new iPad.
    sholokov likes this.
    09-08-2012 07:08 PM
    As far as I can tell everybody will have move on to their next 2-year phone love affair by the time any software on the market will need 4 cores.
    09-08-2012 07:13 PM
    wp8 supports up to 64 cores that whole new shared kernel takes care of that. All lte phones released lately are using the s4 because it's the cheapest and easiest way to go. But their are quad core lte phones on the horizon nvidia should have their t3 ready soon Samsung is releasing the gs3 with lte and their quad core exynos. TI is going straight to a15. And qualcomm is going release the s4 pro in quad core configuration soon. And as far as improvement it has huge increases in video out performance and helps with gaming quite a bit
    sholokov likes this.
    09-08-2012 07:30 PM
    Saving it for Lumia 1000. That's the only reason I can think why they named this phone 920, because they have a plan for later. Just a thought.
    That's not really how Nokia names it devices. I said this already 3-4 months ago when people where guessing the name to be 1000 or similar.

Nokia's next flagship just might be Lumia 915. It's just the first digit that tells in what category the device belongs when it's released. It was the same in the previous two naming systems (xxxx and the different lettered series with two digits after it).

As far as quad core goes. Will Apple actually release quad core device? I personally think they will just go for the Nvidia style of crap and say the GPU has 120 cores just for marketing, like they did with the new iPad.
    In a same time the new iPhone will run around the quad core Androids.

All of the manufacturers seem to be using the same exact SoC (MSM8960) on this first WP8 wave. Thankfully i have no seen complains about the specifications of Lumia 920 and ATIV S, even from places like Engadget as far as the core hw goes.
    MSM8960 in the end is very capable SoC that has done great against the likes of quad core Tegra 3. Just like on iPhone the performance this kind of fully optimized SoC for the OS should be big advantage for all of these first wave WP8 devices compared to Android, no matter what they have inside.

Again, people are not complaining about GS3 SoC (in USA it's the same MSM8960 as on WP8). They certainly should not for WP8 that will actually use it to it's fullest.
    09-08-2012 07:59 PM
    wp8 supports up to 64 cores that whole new shared kernel takes care of that. All lte phones released lately are using the s4 because it's the cheapest and easiest way to go. But their are quad core lte phones on the horizon nvidia should have their t3 ready soon Samsung is releasing the gs3 with lte and their quad core exynos. TI is going straight to a15. And qualcomm is going release the s4 pro in quad core configuration soon. And as far as improvement it has huge increases in video out performance and helps with gaming quite a bit
    One question though. If LTE has trouble with quad core, then there is no point of all this availability. Plus, if the software is never going to support the extra cores, then there is no point really. Or is there?
    09-09-2012 01:48 AM
    One question though. If LTE has trouble with quad core, then there is no point of all this availability. Plus, if the software is never going to support the extra cores, then there is no point really. Or is there?
    It's not that there was trouble with LTE and quad core, it's more so the availability and/or cost to mass produce.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    09-09-2012 02:05 AM
    There is no inherent compatibility issue with lte and quqd core. The reason all of the lte phones are dual core is because Qualcomm's only SoC with integrated LTE is dual core. Samsung and NVIDIA haven't integrated it yet.

I think LG will be releasing a quad core LTE device this summer, using the S4 and a standalone lte modem.
    tissotti and a5cent like this.
    09-09-2012 08:54 AM
    Hello sholokov

In short: the numbers of cores, by themselves, aren't a meaningful indicator of performance. You must, at the very least, also consider the capability of each individual core and also the kind of software you will be running. Consider this:

CPU A: quad-core, processing power per core = z, total processing power = 4 x z = 4z
    CPU B: dual core, processing power per core = 2z, total processing power = 2 x 2z = 4z

Intuitively, you might conclude that the processing power (z) of these two processors are identical. However, this is only true if a given application has at least four threads running at all times (meaning the application can consistently distribute its workload across four cores at all times). As soon as the quad-core CPU can't bring all of it's cores to bear, that is when the dual-core CPU will pull ahead in terms of actual performance. This is exactly what you can expect to see today. Why? Because each of the two cores in on the MSM8960 SoC (used in the Lumia 920) are 50% - 100% faster than the cores in the competitions current quad-core CPU's, while almost none of the smartphone apps in existence consistently use more than two cores.

So, the answer to your question is "yes", it would have made a difference. Using any of the existing quad-core CPU's would have resulted in worse performance for virtually all apps and games (excluding some multi-threaded benchmarking applications)

I have covered this question in far more detail in this thread.
    Last edited by a5cent; 09-10-2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
    sholokov and mmacleodbrown like this.
    09-10-2012 12:12 AM
    I've tried to think of an easily understood analogy to explain why "quad core" doesn't automatically mean "better", and the only thing I can come up with is a car analogy. Assume that I have a VW Beetle and you have a VW Beetle. (Work with me here.) Our Beetles are identical in every way, except that your Beetle has an engine with 500 HP, while mine has a stock engine with about 100 HP. Your Beetle's engine is much more powerful than mine, but you haven't upgraded the tires, suspension, transmission, brakes or fuel delivery system to handle an engine with that much HP. If we go drag racing, my less powerful Beetle is not going to have much trouble keeping up with or even beating yours. Even just driving around town running errands will be a comparable experience in my Beetle. All that extra HP is completely wasted unless the rest of the car is tuned to use it. It's not a perfect analogy, but it's close enough I think.
    sholokov likes this.
    09-10-2012 09:03 AM
    So qualcomms msm8960 chip whciht is in the new lumias, hast the power of the quad cores like exynos and tegra maybe 2-3 less power(its prooved in many test) so 30 less power and the lte modem is on soc chip which had not the tegra so they could only build this chip in and the new qualcomms quad core is available 2013 so i think the next top phone will include quad core!
    09-10-2012 12:21 PM
    I'd much rather see a future phone with a dual-core chip at a higher clock speed (2 Ghz!!) than a quad-core at 1.5 Ghz.
    09-10-2012 12:47 PM
    I'd much rather see a future phone with a dual-core chip at a higher clock speed (2 Ghz!!) than a quad-core at 1.5 Ghz.
    Is there any chip available today that can achieve that speed on a phone?
    09-10-2012 02:49 PM
51 123