900 vs. 920: screen?

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah yeah I know the 920 has HD+ display, but what about the screen type? We all know that the 900 has a wonderful ClearBlack AMOLED display, that made the low resolution not matter. Does the 920 just have LCD? And does that include ClearBlack? If not, that's a huge disappointment.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it's still ClearBlack, but it is LCD, and it's as bright and crisp as they claim. 1280x768 HD+ resolution. They say it's better on battery life than AMOLED, I can't confirm that, obviously, but all things considered, I wouldn't doubt it. They claim it's "blur-free" too, and while I didn't get to see any sophisticated proof, what scrolling/motion I did see was definitely clear. I'm anxious to put it next to various displays and compare them.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Its supposed to run at 60Hz (vs. 30 Hz on other phones) so 60 frames per second vs. 30... Should look smooth, no blur.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
This is very sad news to me. I've never truly owned a WP that wasn't AMOLED (Focus, Focus S, and now L900), and when I had the HTC Titan II for a while, that was one of the biggest reasons why I disliked it compared to the L900, no AMOLED. Those deep blacks are just too nice. Why in the world would they change that? :(

I'll still probably get it, but this makes the Ativ S look better than it did before.

EvanKr

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Same here, the 900's AMOLED display is what made it so much better than the Titan. When I compared them side by side, the 900's deep blacks made the Titan's display look like crap.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I loved the SAMOLED on my Focus. It over saturated colors, making them "pop".

But it doesn't give as accurate representation of color as the Titan.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Guess we will have to wait and see. And not going with AMOLED may have something to do with Nokia's supplier (Samsung) screwing the pooch with their purple hue fiasco.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
To me the screen looks specification wise damn impressive and The Verge was at least praising it to be best mobile screen they had seen from the short time they used the phone.

Samsung ATIV S has 306ppi AMOLED screen and maybe most importantly it's only pentile screen.

Lumia 920 got 332ppi (1280?768 WXGA) IPS screen. You can also add the Refresh rate 60 Hz to the package. Interested to see what affect it has.
It indeed also has the polarizing filter that's essentially Nokia's Clear Black Display tech. That polarizing filter in Lumia 800, 900 is the reason it enhanced the blacks even more and better sunlight legibility.

Screen to me is the least i'm worried about Lumia 920 as of now. Mostly just waiting to see how it looks in real life.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Color me disappointed.

Yes IPS technology is the best on the LCD side but still it's LCD. Even though it has clearblack technology the black will be crappy LCD blackness specially in angles. The clearblack won't do miracles here as it does on amoled that has very dark blacks to begin with even without any kind of filter.

This is a dealbraker for me. I can not go back to LCD tech when having used amoled for so long now. It doesn't matter how good of a phone it is I will never ever buy a phone again with ordinary LCD.

WP is a dark OS by nature and needs amoled to truly shine as intended.

bb_gonzo

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Color me disappointed.

Yes IPS technology is the best on the LCD side but still it's LCD. Even though it has clearblack technology the black will be crappy LCD blackness specially in angles. The clearblack won't do miracles here as it does on amoled that has very dark blacks to begin with even without any kind of filter.

This is a dealbraker for me. I can not go back to LCD tech when having used amoled for so long now. It doesn't matter how good of a phone it is I will never ever buy a phone again with ordinary LCD.

I agree with you there. I don't think anyone who hasn'z seen the screen of the 920 can really asses whether or not it is a competitive screen to the Ativ for instance. But i agree that WP is basically designed for oled displays and the exclusion of one on the 920 really bumms me out.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Maybe because if they went with AMOLED it'd have to be PenTile? So far, Samsung hasn't made a "HD SuperAMOLED Plus." I know some people say at such a high pixel density, it doesn't matter. But I think having PenTile still bothers some people.

Yes, it's still ClearBlack, but it is LCD, and it's as bright and crisp as they claim. 1280x768 HD+ resolution. They say it's better on battery life than AMOLED, I can't confirm that, obviously, but all things considered, I wouldn't doubt it. They claim it's "blur-free" too, and while I didn't get to see any sophisticated proof, what scrolling/motion I did see was definitely clear. I'm anxious to put it next to various displays and compare them.

I think when displaying white, AMOLED uses a lot more power than a comparable LCD display. I guess not enough to offset the power savings when display black (AMOLED uses virtually no power for black).

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Those who had on hands experience with the 920 has been quite amazed by the screen. That said, it has only been indoors for now.

As a bonus You could use the white theme a lot more than today due to the reduced impact on power consumption.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I've enjoyed all the displays. Samsung has normally been one of my favorites, but I enjoy the LCD technology that HTC uses on the One series.

P.S. w00t w00t, my 2,000th post =)

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
The first thing that catches one’s attention is the display. It is based on LCD technology, and has a resolution of 1280?768. However, the brightness, color saturation and even black levels were impressive in the demo environment. We’ll have to do some side by side testing, but it is quite remarkable and pretty much everyone should be able to see it right away.
source: ubergizmo.com

And that's just one example.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Amoled might be behind in some areas but plain and simple I can't handle lcd blacks that turns extra gray/blue from even slight angles. That's why I also have a TV with local dimming. I am a sucker for blackness. Specially when using WP.

thebizz

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
for all those that say it's lcd I can't go back to lcd just wait and use the thing after taking a test drive with the gs3 and owning a galaxy nexus I bought a HTC evo lte. Why because the clarity colors and outdoor visibility easily out do those devices. Lcd screens have come a long way and will not be challenged until the sampled hd+ (keep in mind this is my perspective but from every comparison that I've seen the gs3 has lost in the screen department to the likes of the one x and I phone

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Color me disappointed.

Great! You are entitled to your opinion that you won't buy it even though you have seen it in person and it hasnt been released It has a better ppi than the iPhone retina display and clear black and polarization but you dismiss it out of hand. Whatever! Dont buy it that your choice.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Great! You are entitled to your opinion that you won't buy it even though you have seen it in person and it hasnt been released It has a better ppi than the iPhone retina display and clear black and polarization but you dismiss it out of hand. Whatever! Dont buy it that your choice.

Offended or anything? Calm down. Relax. I am entitled to my opinion yet you come here trying to "correct" me.

It's an LCD. It's safe to say I won't accept its black levels. I'm not even totally happy with the black levels on the Galaxy Nexus for example. Now go try lesson up someone else. I don't give a rats *** about PPI it's just a number on paper. Not important in real life to me at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss