No wi-fi direct? :(

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
This is actually kinda shocking that they did not see putting wi-fi direct on the 920 as a potential goldmine for accessory manufacturers and a model for other oems. I hate syncing my phone with my pc via cable. cables. You loose them, ruin them, etc. no one really wants to have to deal with that. wi-fi direct enables substantial amounts of data to be shared wirelessly. So to think that nokia had a huge potential to market wi-fi direct with nfc and wireless charging is actually kind of sad in a sense. But let me cut to the chase and give you an organised list of reasons that the 920 combined with wi-fi direct would have potentially made it as a "killer app"

• wireless syncing between pc without killing battery life
  • wireless charging plate with HDMI out to watch movies stored on your phone on your Big Screen TV in full HD
  • shareing data intensive content with a friends phone likes multiplayer games, app trials, and watching netflix at the same time on seperate phones, etc
  • Better more secure back end for I.T's when syncing outlook or excel documents with pc's
  • All of the above saves on data ussage so you can live within your limits

So let me ask you. Are you guys disappointed that they did not include wi-fi direct in the 920? Because i sure am.

venetasoft

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 920 implements WiFi direct, but I cannot find any native/store app that uses it...
I have the latest Samsung ES8000 46" and a Galaxy phone (boundled with the tv) and nor wifi direct nor remote tv viewing is possible...All marketing bull**** from Sammy...

loko ino

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
sorry to re-hash old threads but can someone tell me if they got the wi-fi direct to work?
Buddy tried to transfer a file from his galaxy note that has wi-fi direct and we could not figure out how to get it to my Lumia 920. NFC and BT didn't work either..NCF made a noise but nothing happened and BT finally connect but never transferred anything after 5 mins.

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Nope sorry, I can tell you I have not. NFC sharing is SO SLOW, take's about 40 seconds just to transfer a whole picture. I am really wondering if this is all just a conspiracy so we give att more money by paying for more data when we want to share a video to another friends device. Seems like the only companies that can get Wi-Fi direct right are the one's in the handheld gaming industry AKA Nintendo & Sony.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Pairing can be very frustrated as it involves property pattern, and is very challenging to ask every brand to be fully compatible to each other. By the end of the day one side has to bow and accept another standard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999