Gorilla Glass on Lumia 920?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
In fact the Gorilla Glass 2 is so amazing that you can't scratch it by using car keys to operate it. That blew my mind.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 920 Specifications - Nokia

Doesn't mention anything about Corning Gorilla Glass.
Yes it does. Within the "Design" drop-down. Under "Display features".

Display features

Polarization filter
Light time-out
Ambient light detector
Brightness control
Orientation sensor
Sculpted 2.5D glass
Proximity sensor
High Brightness mode
RGB Stripe
Sunlight readability enhancements
Pixel density 332 ppi
Luminance 600 nits
Aspect ratio 15:9
Corning? Gorilla? Glass
Super sensitive touch
Color boosting
IPS
Refresh rate 60 Hz

Last edited:

Nekzar

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
In fact the Gorilla Glass 2 is so amazing that you can't scratch it by using car keys to operate it. That blew my mind.
I'm fairly certain that part doesn't have anything to do with Gorilla Glass, 2nd gen or not, other than scratch resistance. I have no idea how or where it's actually implemented, but the technology is licensed by Synaptics.

Edit. Obviously I meant to say it's licensed FROM Synaptics.

Last edited:

WindowsRugger

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I made an account just to post on this subject. I've had the 920 since the release on November 9th. I was under the impression that it had Gorilla Glass so I didn't get the AT&T insurance at first. Last Friday I received a text from AT&T stating that I had 30 days from the original purchase date to still apply for the insurance. I called to find out the pricing, which was $6.99 a month. I thought it couldn't hurt so I purchased it. That following Saturday my friend accidentally dropped my phone on the street outside the bar we were at and this is what it looked like. So I came on here to find more information on this "Gorilla Glass." I've cut my hand on the screen three times since. Hopefully my insurance will send me a new one.

Attachments

• WP_000442.jpg
    WP_000442.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 19
  • WP_000444.jpg
    WP_000444.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 20

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I made an account just to post on this subject. I've had the 920 since the release on November 9th. I was under the impression that it had Gorilla Glass so I didn't get the AT&T insurance at first. Last Friday I received a text from AT&T stating that I had 30 days from the original purchase date to still apply for the insurance. I called to find out the pricing, which was $6.99 a month. I thought it couldn't hurt so I purchased it. That following Saturday my friend accidentally dropped my phone on the street outside the bar we were at and this is what it looked like. So I came on here to find more information on this "Gorilla Glass." I've cut my hand on the screen three times since. Hopefully my insurance will send me a new one.

cut your hand 3 times? what are you some kind of an idiot? lol Geez, just look at all the damange on the screen and no marks at all on the polycarbonate. Maybe they snuck in some "movie glass" into the production line. Accident huh. rigghhhhhhtttttt. There have been tons of videos showing how tough these are and yours drops from somewhere between 3 and 6 feet (or 1 and 2 meters) and it has more damage that what was done from a car running over one. Maybe the rest of the story is... your friend ripped the phone out of your hand because you took some stupid picture of him and with that the phone went flying face down onto the road and rested on some loose pebbles. There was a mad dash by both of you to the phone resulting in your friend tripping and landing with his knee on the phone jamming the face into the pebbles... OK.. that I could believe. try not to cut your hand again.

WindowsRugger

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Really Mike? Really? And I'm the idiot. . . I'm not going to bore you with a long-pointless-6th grade imagination story, but I will say that I was just as shocked when it happened. It fell no higher than my waist. I was hoping to get an explanation or a similar story because I couldn't understand how it could shatter so easily having this "Gorilla Glass." And as far as cutting my hand, there are ACTUAL SMALL LOOSE SHARDS of glass between the cracks which are uneven. I've also seen other threads where people are complaining about easily scratched screens. Unfortunately I seem to be the first person to have broken a 920 but I'm sure as time goes on more people will start posting on this subject.

Edit: Second Person
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/204791-so-strange-lumia-920-a.html

Last edited:

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Really Mike? Really? And I'm the idiot. . . I'm not going to bore you with a long-pointless-6th grade imagination story, but I will say that I was just as shocked when it happened. It fell no higher than my waist. I was hoping to get an explanation or a similar story because I couldn't understand how it could shatter so easily having this "Gorilla Glass." And as far as cutting my hand, there are ACTUAL SMALL LOOSE SHARDS of glass between the cracks which are uneven. I've also seen other threads where people are complaining about easily scratched screens. Unfortunately I seem to be the first person to have broken a 920 but I'm sure as time goes on more people will start posting on this subject.

Your not the first, there was a guy who posted a few days back getting out of his car slipped out of his hand and broke his touch screen from less that two feet off the ground. What i can't understand is the guy in the youtube vid is throwing it thirty feet into the air on tarmac and nothing happened. People dropping their phones from the waist and shattering the glass just adds to more confusion.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass (And in fact I would argue any glass thing) is not unbreakable. Given the proper conditions glass will break. Even bulletproof glass or blastproof glass. From the look of your phone I would say the top left corner was the impact point that killed it. The way glass works is there is a surface compression number. When the impact exceeds that then it will break. When you have a corner impact all the force of the impact is concentrated to that very small point.

This is comparable to the old balloon and bed of nails trick. One nail the balloon pops when the nail touches it. But if you have a whole bed of nails and lay the balloon on it and apply force it won't pop so easily because the force is equally distributed over the whole area. There are obvious differences and what not but its a decent enough analogy. Same thing with glass. If it landed flat it stands a good chance of being ok. That is because the force was all distributed across the face of the phone. But on a corner impact its only to that area. This is why emergency glass hammers are pointed in their design. You can accidently smack your arm or head against the car window and be ok but a little tiny pointed hammer will shatter it with ease.

Safety glass smash on a car - YouTube

That's a good example.

And a good article on it too: The science behind a shattered phone screen: What causes it to crack sometimes and not others | Mail Online

I am sure there are more and better examples for you out there.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

Don't be ridiculous. AT&T insurance won't send you a new hand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3