09-21-2012 12:17 PM
78 1234
tools
    The iPhone5 announcement was a disaster.

This is NOT how you do it Nokia.
    no the announcement wasn't a disaster, what they announced was a disaster. Apple made Nokia's press conference look like amateur hour...**** it WAS amateur hour. Between JoJo the Clown and Capt BlunderShields Nokia should have said at the end, you know what, we were just practicing, we'll be back ina few weeks with a real presentation.
    AKA Preluva likes this.
    09-12-2012 04:46 PM
    I disagree this once. Nokia did the right thing. It was better to announce before the iPhone 5 without a product. Why?

Because everyone is comparing the iPhone to the Lumia 920 and for all intents and purposes the Lumia 920 comes out ahead.
    Precisely. Check every Apple review right now, and they're all doing it. And now suddenly, those futile complaints about the fake ads seems petty, because the true photos are going to really impress.

This is precisely when Nokia needs to pounce!
    09-12-2012 04:51 PM
    If Nokia can learn anything from how Apple conducts its product launches, it would be in the presentation. Apple's executives handle themselves on stage better than Nokia's. As for the date/carrier/price information, I still believe it was a mistake for Microsoft and Nokia to not get such crucial details nailed down before the Lumia announcement.

Nevertheless, I wasn't that impressed with the iPhone 5. I didn't see anything compelling enough for me to upgrade from my iPhone 4, which I've had for over 2 years now. Perhaps the timing of Nokia's short-on-details announcement was a little risky, but it looks like it is paying off. A lot of the conversations I see online are about how much better the Lumia 920 is than the iPhone 5. You've really got to give Nokia some credit for having the courage to jump ahead of the iPhone 5 reveal.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk
    09-12-2012 04:53 PM
    The problem I have with the OP is that the thread title is negative, and is very pro Apple.
    I honestly don't believe your next phone is a lumia 920 (Love you to prove me wrong with a photo when you get it).
    Why else would you go to the trouble of posting the screenshots you did which is basically telling people when and how much it will be..

These are the kinds of threads I am getting at in my earlier thread.

Hardly a way to promote an ecosystem that you say you are buying into by promoting the competition with huge screenshots..

So yeah...

By all means prove me wrong..
    09-12-2012 05:17 PM
    The problem I have with the OP is that the thread title is negative, and is very pro Apple.
    I honestly don't believe your next phone is a lumia 920 (Love you to prove me wrong with a photo when you get it).
    Why else would you go to the trouble of posting the screenshots you did which is basically telling people when and how much it will be..

These are the kinds of threads I am getting at in my earlier thread.

Hardly a way to promote an ecosystem that you say you are buying into by promoting the competition with huge screenshots..

So yeah...

By all means prove me wrong..
    I'd love nothing more than prove you wrong although I don't have to do anything just because you told me to. I hope you are still around towards the end of the year. I even know the color I am getting - Slate grey.

I am not promoting Apple or it's ecosystem. The screen shots were for emphasis on the dates, prices and countries where it will be available. If I really had a agenda I would put a picture of a slide showing one of the iPhone's features like its camera or processor or something.

Looks like people here just looked at the title of the thread and decided to draw a conclusion on what it it that I was referring to without bothering to read the OP.
    09-12-2012 06:19 PM
    I agree with the OP. If you're going to have a "launch" event, then you need to say when its available and how much it will cost. Nokia's event was more like an unveiling that ends with "coming soon... "
    09-12-2012 06:19 PM
    Right so if WP8 is not ready to go and Nokia waited too show off how awesome their Lumia 920 is More people would probably get the iPhone without seeing a alternative however because they have shown Apple up pretty much all over the internet is buzzing with people saying how they are going wait to get the Lumia 920 rather than the IP5.

If you ask me it was a clever thing to do, the fact that they didn't give dates and prices is annoying yes but this was much better marketing than the mess they made of the "fake" video and photos etc.
    cckgz4 and Old_Cus like this.
    09-12-2012 07:00 PM
    All the posts above goes to show fan boys are d*cks any where you go on the internet. I was stupid to think this forum would be different. If you read my OP again, you will see that it was about the iPhone 5 launch dates, prices and countries and nothing more. I didn't say anything about the iPhone 5's features or lack thereof or how it competes with the Lumia 920.

Why are you guys so insecure? My next phone will be a Lumia 920. Too bad I will be part of another iSheep or Fandroid community with just a different name. I honestly thought the WP faternity was going to be different and above petty attacks. I was mistaken.
    This is a good group, I think people are just a little more excited about WP after todays announcement. You are right, announcement, order dat, delivery date would've been great.

However, there is a small possibility that Nokia and MS may came off looking like the sly fox after all. All of the articles I've read mention the 920 as the WP player. Not Samsung, HTC or whoever else comes to the table.

Nokia has gotten a ton of free press, and I'd safely argue that at least 60% of the comments attached to each article were "iPhone 5 meh, 920 for me." so, last week may not be the disaster we all thought it was.
    doublebullout likes this.
    09-12-2012 07:09 PM
    Nokia had the better products, but the people presenting them were horribly dull.

Apple released a taller iPhone which was meh, but put on a better show.

IMO
    cckgz4 and doublebullout like this.
    09-12-2012 08:24 PM
    It's not my fault that your thread title wasn't specific.

You are not much of a winner when it comes to reading comprehension are you?

This was the title of my thread: "This is how you do it Nokia - watch and learn".

The only things I highlighted/bolded in my OP were the dates, so you had to know that was the focus of the thread. There wasn't a single word about the iPhone 5's features or how it lined up against the 920.

The fact that you jumped all over this thread without even bothering to understand what the point of the OP was speaks more to your insecurity about Nokia and WP than my supposedly misleading thread title.

Like I said, my next phone is a Lumia 920. My only problem with Nokia's launch was lack of concrete dates and availability. They have a lot to learn from Apple in this regard. But I am sure Nokia and MS will get there eventually.
    09-12-2012 08:31 PM
    In fairness to Nokia, the way Apple does it isn't the norm. Didn't Samsung announce the Note 2 and the Ativ S recently? I don't recall pricing and availability of these products being announced. The way Apple handles these things is quite nice, but it certainly isn't the way most manufacturers handle it.
    09-12-2012 09:17 PM
    In fairness to Nokia, they can't release a phone without an OS, so we're actually waiting on Microsoft. And Amazon has a number of Kindle releases before November, my Kindle Fire HD 7 will be arriving in the next 5 days.
    Then it's Nokia's fault for announcing a device when the OS isn't ready.
    09-12-2012 09:25 PM
    Then it's Nokia's fault for announcing a device when the OS isn't ready.
    I don't feel there's a fault at all. Scottscraft is right that most companies do a coming soon approach.

Besides, this has worked out well. If Nokia announces deals and preorder options in the next week, they'll see a lot of interest. They could still leave out dates and generate interest.

Now, Microsoft can begin announcing features to steal some thunder and redirect attention to Nokia again.

People spend too much time thinking in the moment and ignoring long term strategies...
    09-12-2012 09:33 PM
    Apple's presentation may appear better because they are a marketing machine. They could sell iSnow to an Eskimo (no offense to any Eskimos out there). Nokia tells you what is. Heck, I was sure excited during the presentation.

Oh, and I think AT&T and Verizon (and maybe T-Mobile) are the folks who want to announce price and availability of Nokia, HTC and Samsung devices. That should happen after HTCs announcement. My guess is Verizon especially, wants to make this a special moment. Not a Verizon fan, but I look forward to the announcement. Will be a big day for WP. Do you remember rolling thunder. You have already seen the rumbling. Get ready for a big clap.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    09-12-2012 10:26 PM
    Yeah inferior. That's why they sell twice as many products in a weekend than Lumias ever.
    And? Apple could say coming in 2 months and they would still sell the same number of phones.

Please use logic to explain why Apple's system is better for the consumer. Pro-tip: you can't.
    09-12-2012 11:21 PM
    The bottom line is Apple is the KING of devices and until someone knocks them off that perch they can talk all the smack they want.
    Winterfang likes this.
    09-12-2012 11:27 PM
    I agree with the commentary that the Nokia launch was probably not the best executed thing ever - but let's be real, I think we all probably agree that the 920/820 combo was kicked out the door to avoid potential issues from the iPhone launch. Perhaps if Nokia had known the (major) iPhone 5 leaks were all true, they would have changed their strategy a bit. But hindsight is 20/20.

Regardless, the iPhone 5 launch day seems to have been a great victory for Nokia. If they release the 920 in a reasonable amount of time, at a competitive price point the 920 will surely have piqued the interest of many.

I am a fairly avid reader of technology blogs, and today is the most mention of a WP product I have seen other than immediately following an announcement or release of a WP device. In comparing the iPhone to other devices the Lumia 920 is on a lot of the comparisons, and more importantly, some fairly notable tech bloggers seem to be looking at the Lumia in line with the Galaxy SIII. Fantastic.

Here is to hoping Microsoft, Nokia, and in fact other WP makes carry this positive momentum further and get into that third place OS spot!
    Old_Cus likes this.
    09-12-2012 11:55 PM
    All the posts above goes to show fan boys are d*cks any where you go on the internet. I was stupid to think this forum would be different. If you read my OP again, you will see that it was about the iPhone 5 launch dates, prices and countries and nothing more. I didn't say anything about the iPhone 5's features or lack thereof or how it competes with the Lumia 920.

Why are you guys so insecure? My next phone will be a Lumia 920. Too bad I will be part of another iSheep or Fandroid community with just a different name. I honestly thought the WP faternity was going to be different and above petty attacks. I was mistaken.
    So you make a rather unintelligent, poorly researched thread in the wrong forum and suddenly everyone else are a-holes?

There are so many things you didn't take into consideration that it would be easy to pick apart. But hey, I understand, you have your blinders on and the only person you're listening to is yourself. So do whatever...
    wolf1891 and tissotti like this.
    09-13-2012 01:53 AM
    I think this whole: "the presentation was trash because Nokia didn't release price and availability information" is ridiculous. The whole sentiment got seeded by finance analysts who were making up (ehem... I mean looking for) a rational explanation as to why Nokia's stock fell 16% on the day of the product launch. These analysts clearly stated why they thought the announcement was a complete and utter disaster. Obviously, it was due to the fact that by the end of Nokia's announcement a billion dollars in stock value had evaporated. For them, that is the only thing that counts. I'm sure their explanation is complete nonsense, but it isn't the worst attempt at an explanation I've heard, because even as someone who believes in Nokia, Microsoft and WP, you need to know which U.S. carriers will be selling them, by when, and at what price point in order to gauge earning potential. As an investor, you must know these things.

Anyway, various news sites picked up on this and spread it through the internet, which is how it eventually ended up on our beloved tech websites. Of course these "journalists" (and most of their readers) couldn't care less about stock prices, but hey, if everyone was agreeing that the announcement was a disaster due to the lack of release and pricing information, then there must be something to it, right? Yes people, that is how we get news these days... :(

Long story short: if you're not an investor, price and availability announcements aren't the main issues. What we should be judging are the products.

Just to be clear, I also think the presentation was trash, but for the stylistic reasons others here already mentioned.

Fins... I like you guys, really, but you shouldn't be allowed to make presentations! Americans are so much better than Europeans at that sort of thing. Next time, get our friends on the other side of the pond to do it (I'm European, so I'm allowed to say that).
    cckgz4 likes this.
    09-13-2012 04:58 AM
    Boo. Release dates and price points don't do crap for people like me that are locked into contract. If someone opted to hold off on upgrading for this particular device, guess what? It wouldn't matter: their mind is set on that device. As long as they saw it in action and see that it is coming, they are happy. If I was waiting to upgrade to the lumia and had my mind set on that device, this announcement would not deter me because it has a release date
    09-13-2012 05:46 AM
    No, that is why you wait until the product is ready. The OS is ready, the hardware is ready, and are now being mass manufactured as the announcement is taking place. It is even worse when you have to fake promotional material because the product is not ready. It is even worse when you don't announce pricing or availability because a lot of people will just buy a competitors product that already has been released or will be release shortly. Nokia has got a solid product, I'm going to buy it because that's what I want. But it doesn't help win new customers to the platform when you get bad press for faking a product that's not ready, and don't release any information on who will carry it and at what price. More than likely they will just buy what's already out there and not wait. Talking about the average non-fanboyish customer who is not loyal to any echo system, which far outnumber us geeks.

They didn't fake anything because the software wasn't ready
    And how do you know that them announcing wp8 early doesn't put doubts in the minds of those in the market for the new iPhone
    09-13-2012 05:49 AM
    The Lumia 920 was announced first but by the time the Lumia 920 comes out, the Iphone will be a million seller.
    09-13-2012 09:10 AM
    The iPhone4S could have been relaunched with no changes at all and it would still be a million seller.

Apple already has an established mindshare. A very strong one.

It would be foolish for companies without that mindshare to think that whatever works for Apple would automatically translate to working for themselves.

The Lumia 920 was announced first but by the time the Lumia 920 comes out, the Iphone will be a million seller.
    Residing and CDG like this.
    09-13-2012 09:16 AM
    The full SDK isn't even out and Microsoft doesn't let Samsung or Nokia to even show the whole OS. Neither will HTC or Huawei be able to announce release dates because Microsoft can't give one yet.
    I mean Microsoft hasn't even fully announced WP8, like they said on the Nokia event.

When MS gets the bug testing finished we will hear more.

That's the reality we live in. We should be discussing what in this position Nokia and Samsung should have done and in my opinion announcing the devices before iPhone 5 was the right thing to do.

Lumia 920, GS3 and HTC One X have been the most compared to iPhone 5 in the spec lists and gathered some attention there.

The iPhone4S could have been relaunched with no changes at all and it would still be a million seller

;)

I will say that Apple is starting to remind me so much of Nokia back in 2006-2007. Going with the wave and still making record profits for 2-3 years with sub par products before in matter of year or two people started to see behind the brand.
    Last edited by tissotti; 09-13-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    09-13-2012 09:23 AM
    I complete agree in terms of announcement and boom release date, pricing, carriers ete... 100% agree. huge flaw nokia has going on right now is that we know the device but no clue when, how much or if they are going to be moronic and have exclusive providers.

the iphone 5 itself is a meh and an LOL all rolled together though
    experiment 626 likes this.
    09-14-2012 02:51 AM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD