This is how you do it Nokia - watch and learn

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 5 launch:

Pre-orders start on Friday Sep 14th. Shipping on September 21st in the US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore.

iPhone5_0571.jpg

iPhone5_0583.jpg

iPhone5_0585.jpg

iPhone5_0592.jpg

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
With the iPhone 5 Apple forgot about Steve. He is now truly dead and buried. which is sad really.

This phone would have _never_ gotten passed Steve Jobs in this state. It does not even play catchup to the competition.

Last edited:

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Apple has a very large core or customers that will always but their products not matter what. You're not going to sway them. The question is how many current Iphone owners are there that are ready to jump ship for something different and (yes) better? How many current Iphone owners are there that today decided not to upgrade to ip5?

Iphone5 numbers will be large but this might be the first year new release sales were less than prior sales.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Are you FREAKING kidding me?! The iPhone 5 is literally a poorly done catch-up device. The only thing they did was announce pricing and availability, and mark my words... we'll get both over the next week or two... and they'll be lower than the iPhone.

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
All the posts above goes to show fan boys are d*cks any where you go on the internet. I was stupid to think this forum would be different. If you read my OP again, you will see that it was about the iPhone 5 launch dates, prices and countries and nothing more. I didn't say anything about the iPhone 5's features or lack thereof or how it competes with the Lumia 920.

Why are you guys so insecure? My next phone will be a Lumia 920. Too bad I will be part of another iSheep or Fandroid community with just a different name. I honestly thought the WP faternity was going to be different and above petty attacks. I was mistaken.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't care about the device on how it compares really with what's out there. I think the OP is stating that they announced their new product, with pricing, and with exact preorder/shipping dates. THAT is how it's done. Just giving credit to where credit is due. Other than that, the iPhone 5 is meh.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
All the posts above goes to show fan boys are d*cks any where you go on the internet. I was stupid to think this forum would be different. If you read my OP again, you will see that it was about the iPhone 5 launch dates, prices and countries and nothing more. I didn't say anything about the iPhone 5's features or lack thereof or how it competes with the Lumia 920.

Why are you guys so insecure? My next phone will be a Lumia 920. Too bad I will be part of another iSheep or Fandroid community with just a different name. I honestly thought the WP faternity was going to be different and above petty attacks. I was mistaken.

Your post didn't say, "This is how you announce release dates."

Most of the iPhone5 presentation was pretty bland. Did you watch something different?

For what it's worth, I think Apple makes a good product, and they deserve their success. But the iPhone5 shows that they're losing their mojo. I guess Steve Jobs really was the heart of that company.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't care about the device on how it compares really with what's out there. I think the OP is stating that they announced their new product, with pricing, and with exact preorder/shipping dates. THAT is how it's done. Just giving credit to where credit is due. Other than that, the iPhone 5 is meh.

Why is that how it's done?

Especially when the final build of WP8 may not have passed all QA tests yet.

Imagine Nokia announcing a release date, then having to delay it because there was a bug found in WP8 QA that had to be fixed before release. THAT would be worse.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
All the posts above goes to show fan boys are d*cks any where you go on the internet. I was stupid to think this forum would be different. If you read my OP again, you will see that it was about the iPhone 5 launch dates, prices and countries and nothing more...

...Why are you guys so insecure?...

And if you read, you'll notice that I DID comment on the launch date aspect... but that alone doesn't make an exciting launch which was the thesis of your argument. It's a good thing, but all they did was announce a minor update, they're charging the same for it, but you have to buy all your accessories all over again... or at least a bulky adapter. Furthermore, do you really believe Nokia didn't plan to wait on pricing until after?

What do you expect? It's a platform debate. It's Microsoft vs. Apple. If you were expecting less hostility on a Windows Phone forum about Apple, then you were only fooling yourself.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Why is that how it's done?

Especially when the final build of WP8 may not have passed all QA tests yet.

Imagine Nokia announcing a release date, then having to delay it because there was a bug found in WP8 QA that had to be fixed before release. THAT would be worse.

Exactly, and look at Amazon. They announced pre-ordering and dates... for a product that won't be released until mid-November.

It's a good quality of a presentation (and I was very disappointed that Nokia didn't), but it's not what "makes" a presentation. The availability doesn't change my desire for it.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
It's a good quality of a presentation (and I was very disappointed that Nokia didn't), but it's not what "makes" a presentation. The availability doesn't change my desire for it.

Yeah, I wish Nokia's and Microsoft's presentations were better. It's harder to watch and get excited about something when the presenter keeps stuttering and doesn't seem genuinely excited about the product.

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Your post didn't say, "This is how you announce release dates."
You are not much of a winner when it comes to reading comprehension are you?

This was the title of my thread: "This is how you do it Nokia - watch and learn".

The only things I highlighted/bolded in my OP were the dates, so you had to know that was the focus of the thread. There wasn't a single word about the iPhone 5's features or how it lined up against the 920.

The fact that you jumped all over this thread without even bothering to understand what the point of the OP was speaks more to your insecurity about Nokia and WP than my supposedly misleading thread title.

Like I said, my next phone is a Lumia 920. My only problem with Nokia's launch was lack of concrete dates and availability. They have a lot to learn from Apple in this regard. But I am sure Nokia and MS will get there eventually.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
That is simply a ludicrous statement to make. As a matter of fact, I think Winning Guy happens to be one of the strongest spoken advocates of the platform right now. I find nothing insecure with pointing out that your thesis, while direct, is flawed and for the reasons everyone has given.

The fact that you've come here expecting people who are pro-Microsoft to somehow be loving and appreciative of Apple's release is absurd.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
That is simply a ludicrous statement to make. As a matter of fact, I think Winning Guy happens to be one of the strongest spoken advocates of the platform right now. I find nothing insecure with pointing out that your thesis, while direct, is flawed and for the reasons everyone has given.

The fact that you've come here expecting people who are pro-Microsoft to somehow be loving and appreciative of Apple's release is absurd.

Where did he ask for everyone to be loving of Apple's announcement?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Where did he ask for everyone to be loving of Apple's announcement?

Really? That's what you want to try and pick on me for? You want to take a literal word for word. OK, fine... as you wish...

Consistently he has suggested that giving pricing and release information is the most important aspect of how to launch a product (to which I agree it's important), and has consistently followed up declaring how hateful and hostile and d*cks (his words, not mine) us "fanboys" are.

Clearly, I must assume that we're supposed to post favorably about a platform we dislike or else we're d*cks.

But hey, maybe you didn't bother to read that post in the high pace action being posted.

(And, btw, based on the use of that expression and direction this topic is going... don't expect it to last long. A mod will shut this one down pretty rapidly.)

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
In fairness to Nokia, they can't release a phone without an OS, so we're actually waiting on Microsoft. And Amazon has a number of Kindle releases before November, my Kindle Fire HD 7 will be arriving in the next 5 days.

Zumanity

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree, this is how you do it - release price points and dates during presentation.

I think Apple does this because they control literally 100 percent of their operation in terms of hardware, software, and negotiations with carriers. They are in the best position to present their new product and release it in a timely manner.

I would have loved Nokia/Samsung to present, show off, and announce release dates, but they simply cannot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)