This is how you do it Nokia - watch and learn

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
then don't announce a phone and have a big even without final software. I agree with the overall premise of the post. We ALL would appreciate a price and release date closer to the announce date of the 920/820.

I wonder though how many people would have bought the iPhone 5 if the Lumia 920 wasn't announced first? There are people out there who heard about the Lumia 920, then waited for the Apple announcement, then went meh, iPhone 5 isn't that great I'll wait or the 920.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The Lumia 920 was announced first but by the time the Lumia 920 comes out, the Iphone will be a million seller.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Ativ S were announced before the iPhone, so why hold Nokia to a different standard. Also Motorola and Verizon announced some new androids the day of the Nokia event. I don't see people on the android forums complaining about these phones not being released before the iPhone.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Funny, people are saying that everyone from all over the place said they are getting a Nokia 920 because the iP5 was meh. Sales numbers when it's released should be in the millions the first day right?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
To look at what Apple and Nokia did right, you can't just look at Apple's sales numbers. While this last upgrade wasn't very good, they still have a ton of mind share from years of doing things right.

NOBODY ELSE could have the exact presentation that Apple did and have anywhere close to similar success. If Nokia had Apple's exact presentation, it would have been total bomb.

So no, Apple didn't do much right this time around, despite the pre-order sales. Everyone knows that they were going to sell out regardless, so it's not a worthy argument.

If Apple continues to have product launch presentations like this last one, they will slowly lose dominance.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The claim of Apple mobile fall is like the Linux people saying Windows will eventually lose ground.

Yet Windows is still the leading mobile OS and will continue to be for a very very long time.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So no, Apple didn't do much right this time around, despite the pre-order sales. Everyone knows that they were going to sell out regardless, so it's not a worthy argument.
I think a key driver of sales is that there were a lot of people on contract that didn't feel the 4S was a big enough upgrade from the 4

If Apple continues to have product launch presentations like this last one, they will slowly lose dominance.

If Apple continues to have products like the iphone5 launch they will slowly lose dominance. Other manufacturers are raising their game now, and apple will need to match them or lose market share
Apple changed the way we view a mobile device, now they need to keep up..

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I will say this. I don't think the iPhone6 will have as lame a launch.

If iPhone5 orders 3 months from now show a significant decrease from where the 4S was at 3 months out, then Apple will reinvest in innovation. Well, maybe. Maybe there really was some magic and direction lost with the death of Jobs.

Also, some Apple fans were also huge Steve Jobs fans. Without hobs, some of their long term loyalty may be damaged.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
All the posts above goes to show fan boys are d*cks any where you go on the internet. I was stupid to think this forum would be different. If you read my OP again, you will see that it was about the iPhone 5 launch dates, prices and countries and nothing more. I didn't say anything about the iPhone 5's features or lack thereof or how it competes with the Lumia 920.

Why are you guys so insecure? My next phone will be a Lumia 920. Too bad I will be part of another iSheep or Fandroid community with just a different name. I honestly thought the WP faternity was going to be different and above petty attacks. I was mistaken.

It would be nice Nokia or anyone else could do that with Windows Phone 8! It would have been nice if WP8 was ready or if they had waited until October 28 to announce any devices along with the WP8 os Unfortunately MS and MS alonme controls that and unless MS was able to get the os ready as Apple was and then announce the devices made by in this case three different oems with different procustions schedules etcthen it would not have been coordinated in short what you want is physically impossible un;less MS either buys Samsung Nokia and HTC and has the phones built uand sold under their own name just like Apple. Thats a pipe dream at this time and wont ever happen. Maybe MS would buy Nokia and kiss off HTC and Samung and follow the Apple model. Dont hold you breath!

alvarezjpr

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
All the posts above goes to show fan boys are d*cks any where you go on the internet. I was stupid to think this forum would be different. If you read my OP again, you will see that it was about the iPhone 5 launch dates, prices and countries and nothing more. I didn't say anything about the iPhone 5's features or lack thereof or how it competes with the Lumia 920.

Why are you guys so insecure? My next phone will be a Lumia 920. Too bad I will be part of another iSheep or Fandroid community with just a different name. I honestly thought the WP faternity was going to be different and above petty attacks. I was mistaken.

saintforlife, I know it's frustrating when people don't get it, even though it seems quite clear what your message is. Anyway, I agree that Nokia could have done much better. They should have waited for wp8 to be ready, do all of their testing with the phone and then make an announcement with release date and pricing. Nokia needed to release the 920 in all 4 major carriers in the US and not just AT&T (from what I've read so far). This phone needs to be available to as many customers as possible if they want to make a bigger comeback in the US. I remember when Nokia and Motorola were kings (my first phone was a Nokia back in the late 90's). I would love to see Nokia once again at the top. I think they are great innovators in the cell phone arena.

cinek

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
is the some sort of a release pattern with WP os's? I really want to wait for the 920 but the whole no information situation is starting to ....... me off - as far as we know it can come out in december

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
is the some sort of a release pattern with WP os's? I really want to wait for the 920 but the whole no information situation is starting to ....... me off - as far as we know it can come out in december

pisses me off to, but i still say its better to be a little patient and get what I want, rather then rush for the sake of something new that I really do not want. Everytime I have sacrificed in the name of impatience I have always regretted it - we will hear something really soon wp8 just went gold, so its right around the corner.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
saintforlife, I know it's frustrating when people don't get it, even though it seems quite clear what your message is. Anyway, I agree that Nokia could have done much better. They should have waited for wp8 to be ready, do all of their testing with the phone and then make an announcement with release date and pricing. Nokia needed to release the 920 in all 4 major carriers in the US and not just AT&T (from what I've read so far). This phone needs to be available to as many customers as possible if they want to make a bigger comeback in the US. I remember when Nokia and Motorola were kings (my first phone was a Nokia back in the late 90's). I would love to see Nokia once again at the top. I think they are great innovators in the cell phone arena.

Actually alot of us do get it. It would have been nice if WP8 was ready for release when Microsoft and Nokia made their announcement the way Apple did. As stated in earlier posts, the Lumia 920 is in just about every conversation concerning the new iphone and that wouldn't have happened had the 920 not been announced. While the new iphone is grabbing the headlines (as we all knew it would) there is still a buzz about the 920. Where I will agree with you 100% is that this phone should be offered on all carriers; atleast Verizon in addition to AT&T....just make sure that this time the salespeople push WP8 instead of steering customers from it.

I'm asking all my friends and co-workers.........Have you tried a windows phone?

cinek

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I think it would be much better if we at least got the month - right now we don't know when it's coming out at all, for all we know it can be december - if they would at least say october or november that'd be much better imo

anon(4323243)

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Wow so much hostility to the OP who has a fair point. It made business sense for Nokia to announce their phones early like others have pointed out - favourable comparisons to iphone 5, stopping potential buyers from going with an available phone, etc. But as a consumer it is frustrating.

Im quite jealous of my friends who found out about the iphone last week and have picked up their new phones today already. And here I am waiting for the 920 not knowing exactly how long the wait is:/

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Apple can release right away because people buy them because they think they have to. Not because they care about new features. Nokia needed time for word of mouth to spread about the device. Working like a charm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo