Another win : Lumia 920 recommended above iphone 5

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Of course I'm happy if the Lumia 920 comes away looking better, but this is precisely one of those puff pieces I was talking about here. The author is comparing the two phones based on paper spec-sheets and his imagination. He talks about screen resolutions (because it's on the sheet), but mentions nothing about readability in sunlight, color reproduction, responsiveness or usability (with gloves). He mentions battery size, but nothing about how long you can actually surf or talk with them... etc, etc, etc. He is doing everyone who reads his "review" a disservice, by implying it's sensible to base purchasing decisions on spec-sheets.

Reviewers like him should be boo'd into oblivion. But, thanks for the link anyway. Doesn't hurt to know what is out there.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
It's not just about specs, it's about ecosystems. For the moment, iOS is better then WP.
Wait. The iOS ecosystem is better than W8, W8RT, WP8, XBox, Office, SkyDrive, Smart Glass, Sharepoint, Office 365.......... Please explain. Oh, never mind. Forgot about the million apps.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Wait. The iOS ecosystem is better than W8, W8RT, WP8, XBox, Office, SkyDrive, Smart Glass, Sharepoint, Office 365.......... Please explain. Oh, never mind. Forgot about the million apps.

Although I'm a WP fan I must admit that in terms of accessories, quality and variety of apps and games iOS is still the clear winner. WP8 introduces much needed features for devs, and the fact developing an app for WP8 and W8 is similar, we should get spoiled but it'll take time to take off.

Even Apple's ecosystem is better for now. Microsoft's not there yet but it looks, oh, so promising. I really hope Microsoft will succeed in their vision of seamless integration between devices and I love the new bold direction they're taking of leading the pack.

Give it a year and the Microsoft ecosystem will be a SERIOUS contender. Two years and the mainstream will get tired of Apple. 3 years and it will be time to think about selling those Apple shares and lamenting about the fact you never bought any from Nokia. :p

ryouzaki

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, yes, comparing specs on paper is the only way to compare these two phones right now. Despite how much they may tout their new features, a real comparison can only be made once you can lay them both side by side and make a subjective observation.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, yes, comparing specs on paper is the only way to compare these two phones right now. Despite how much they may tout their new features, a real comparison can only be made once you can lay them both side by side and make a subjective observation.

Good point, but a true comparison can only be made one we have the phones side by side AND Win8 released and out in the wild. Im beginning to sound like an evangelist here, but I believe the single biggest advantage WP8 has will be its integration with the cloud/desktop/surface devices. That is massive, and the whole reason I am switching, to a certain extent, as long as the hardware is capable it isn't really that important and becomes a personal choice...
The integration is a unique selling point, and hopefully will change the way we do things..

There are alot of people out there, me included who know that WP7.xx was a well designed OS but would never consider it as the benefits weren't there, now with Win 8 and WP8, they are and alot of people are waking upto the idea of switching

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

True. If specs are all we've got that is better than nothing, and lets face is, comparing specs is fun. That is fine.

What I'm criticizing is the fact that these spec-sheet-gurus end up making purchasing recommendations based on them. That I find despicable.

I'm guessing these spec-sheet-guru's need to complete these write-ups ASAP, so they don't have the time to go beyond simple spec-sheet numbers even if they wanted to. As a result, thousands of people out there, currently trying to find out exactly what the Lumia 920 is, won't get even half of the story.

Lack of any meaningful analysis is one issue:

Going by the spec-sheet, the Lumia 920 has a weight of 185g. Ouch! That will be put down as a negative. But shouldn't they also be asking themselves where that weight comes from? Every engineering decision is a trade-off, meaning that weight comes from something that Nokia thought was worthwhile. Could it be that Lumias are built like tanks in comparison to competing devices? Could it be that Lumias aren't intended to be carried in a protective cover? Well yes. However, add a protective cover to an iPhone, which is common practice, and you end up with a device which is equally thick and heavy but a whole lot uglier.

The other main issue is that a lot of important features just can't be expressed via a spec-sheet. For Nokia and Microsoft this is particularly important because most people aren't familiar with WP. So, because so many people think specs are all this is about, many people won't hear about:

- the WP UI being person-focused instead of app-focused
- the best offline pedestrian and car navigation solution with Navteqs industry leading mapping-data.
- the best augmented reality navigational aid
- what you can actually use NFC for (how many of those spec-sheet comparisons mention Nokia's NFC capable accessories)
- etc etc etc

I'm not against spec-comparisons per se (although I find the limited high-level spec-sheets we normally see only marginally useful), but it needs to be stated more clearly that WP8 is so different from Android and iOS, that you need to go beyond the spec-sheet to understand what's so unique and great about it.

Last edited:

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

How many smartphone buyers will ever use 365, office, SharePoint, skydrive. They do use apps, and the best apps are on iOS, and usually cheaper. It is still nice to hear sites liking WP better, and MS is catching up.

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
How many smartphone buyers will ever use 365, office, SharePoint, skydrive.

I use them everyday for notes, pictures, file sharing with family(Im actually using word on my phone to write a book, and later on my laptop - poof! there is my doc as well, and edited ) - Its rather nice, and no device bias. Lots of students and business folks would and do use the heck out of those office apps as well. MS Office isnt the largest office software for no reason, people use it everyday - having Office docs available for you on your phone or any pc at a moments notice in a business/school setting is really nice. You would be suprised how many business folks have been waiting for a true MS Office experience like this.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
How many smartphone buyers will ever use 365, office, SharePoint, skydrive. They do use apps, and the best apps are on iOS, and usually cheaper. It is still nice to hear sites liking WP better, and MS is catching up.

You would be surprised just how many businesses and universities are planning an office 365 and lync rollout. I have seen so many evaluations and case studies that I have gone out and bought MS shares as Im convinced that they are onto something here with lync, the interest is massive.

edit - I should qualify that statement - I work in IT :)

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Except that most ACTUAL users only care about Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and games... so moot point beyond just talking about it.

Touche about the Microsoft services. People love them once they get exposure to them.

Although I'm a WP fan I must admit that in terms of accessories, quality and variety of apps and games iOS is still the clear winner. WP8 introduces much needed features for devs, and the fact developing an app for WP8 and W8 is similar, we should get spoiled but it'll take time to take off.

Yeah, they do have an advantage with accessories... but forcing everyone to change connectors and rebuy is going to be disenchanting.

Moving to universal connectors like micro-USB might be a bit more appealing now.

I use them everyday for notes, pictures, file sharing with family(Im actually using word on my phone to write a book, and later on my laptop - poof! there is my doc as well, and edited ) - Its rather nice, and no device bias. Lots of students and business folks would and do use the heck out of those office apps as well. MS Office isnt the largest office software for no reason, people use it everyday - having Office docs available for you on your phone or any pc at a moments notice in a business/school setting is really nice. You would be suprised how many business folks have been waiting for a true MS Office experience like this.

Precisely... a girl I work with lost her iPhone in May. Got her new one, but had lost every picture, every text message, every contact, everything. She was really upset. She never bothered signing up for iCloud or whatever, because it was too much hassle. With Microsoft, it's just automatic, so there's no cumbersome setup.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, for all that it is worth, I for one would really appreciate an ecosystem - including the device and services - which is not so heavily reliant on the cloud/wifi/online services.
There are a lot of us who live and work in places and countries where there is very limited to no wifi access and or our service providers think that 256mb a month is ample for our online needs. That is one of the reasons why my Lumia and Touchpad gather dust 6 out 7 days of the week.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the iOS accessory advantage, that's the tradeoff for selling a single device with a single footprint. How many Android accessories are out there? Even for the ever popular Samsung Galaxy series.

Now with wireless charging, NFC and BT, docks will be as simple as adding a ledge to prop your phone against. But because of the many different WP form factors, which is a good thing, don't expect to ever see a rack full of custom cases for your favorite device. I'm ok with that.

ryouzaki

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
All things considered, there has never been a better opportunity for WP to gain traction. Many people are currently very disappointed in the new iteration of Apple's iphone. Many people skipped the 4s in hopes of 5. Many tech sites are reporting on the lack of excitement around the new product.

Nokia has, in the meantime, released a truly innovative device that tackles and bests Apple's new offering. True, the die-hard fans will flock to the new iphone, but many others have been betting on the new iphone. And these people are now very disappointed.

What's more, the Lumia 920 is now getting free publicity because everyone is comparing the iphone to it. Every tech site. This is great news. For once, we might just be at the cusp of something truly revolutionary. It helps too that when placed side by side, the 920 simply draws all the attention.

Also, Android fans in a bit to clamp down on Apple fanboys are heavily backing the 920, if Youtube videos are anything to go by. We should also remember that only a few years ago Nokia reigned supreme. Many of today's smartphone users have used a Nokia once. There's some sentimental value attached with any Nokia device.

On a related topic, people are already referring to the Cinemagraph lens as the Harry Potter app. Moving pictures indeed, this is magic. Nokia FTW

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Exactly the best apps are still iOS only and the kool-aid drinkers need to realize that. How do you get those premier iOS developers to crack open a book on C#?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Precisely... a girl I work with lost her iPhone in May. Got her new one, but had lost every picture, every text message, every contact, everything. She was really upset. She never bothered signing up for iCloud or whatever, because it was too much hassle. With Microsoft, it's just automatic, so there's no cumbersome setup.

Is that for real? I thought iCloud is enabled by default with syncing contacts at the very least, no?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not just about specs, it's about ecosystems. For the moment, iOS is better then WP.

bull****. 'ecosystems' are a myth. It is about what you do and how capable your phone can do it and hands down the 920 can do things better than an iPhone. The apple apologists started on that ecosystem thing hard last year when the 4S was a major letdown "its not about the phone its about the experience" BS. It IS about HOW the phone executes that experience! There is the same or an equivilent in the Marketplace for everything on iOS...if WP doesn't have it built in to begin with. For business (which is what ITportal is all about) WP8 trounces iOS.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven