Another win : Lumia 920 recommended above iphone 5

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the iOS accessory advantage, that's the tradeoff for selling a single device with a single footprint. How many Android accessories are out there? Even for the ever popular Samsung Galaxy series.

Now with wireless charging, NFC and BT, docks will be as simple as adding a ledge to prop your phone against. But because of the many different WP form factors, which is a good thing, don't expect to ever see a rack full of custom cases for your favorite device. I'm ok with that.

Absolutely agree, oh yeah... and one more thing:

Microsoft has specified that the USB connector must be exactly centered on the bottom of every WP8 phone. So, no matter what device you buy, your USB connector will be in the same spot. The reasoning behind this move was precisely to allow 3rd parties to build standardized accessories that work with each and every WP8 phone, even if you're using the USB cable. Rejoice! ;)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if I buy into the whole ecosystem idea or not. I think "the ecosystem" is an interesting word because it means a million different things to a million different people. Does it refer to the apps? Hardware accessories? Does it only refer to the online services belonging to the OS developer (iTunes for iOS or Zune Music for WP) or does the ecosystem include every single online service the device can access (including sites like Amazon with the Kindle app). Does the ecosystem include enterprise services that users employers might have created? Is "the ecosystem" any of these technical things at all, or is it perhaps something less technical like an investment, which could mean a monetary investment (all the paid-for apps) or an investment in time (the time it took to learn to use the OS efficiently). Is it all of the above, parts of it, or something else entirely? I would be surprised if we all had the same definition of the term. I think the answer to the ecosystem question varies depending on what we think it means. If anybody knows what "the ecosystem" really is, I would be glad to learn about it.

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Exactly the best apps are still iOS only and the kool-aid drinkers need to realize that. How do you get those premier iOS developers to crack open a book on C#?

There are great alternatives for almost every *good* iOS app out there. Windows Phone does have a few holes here, but it should close with a little more popularity.

diplomat696

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Apple iPhone 5 Specs Versus the Competition's: Which Will You Buy? | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Head on over to wired and cast a vote, right now lumia 920 is running away with it.

55% to L920 (18,000+ votes) and the iPhone 5 is a distant second with 22% (7400+ votes)

Seems Nokia may have a winner on their hands!!

I do have to admit, am jealous of some of the apps that come for iphone well ahead of anything being developed for wp8 but am hoping that this trend begins to slow and change in the near future. It should based on win8/wp8 sharing features.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
How many smartphone buyers will ever use 365, office, SharePoint, skydrive. They do use apps, and the best apps are on iOS, and usually cheaper. It is still nice to hear sites liking WP better, and MS is catching up.

The answer to your questions is: "Everyone who needs a smartphone for work". Not everyone buys them just for entertainment, though that is why I bought mine...

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if I buy into the whole ecosystem idea or not. I think "the ecosystem" is an interesting word because it means a million different things to a million different people.
For me, ecosystem represents the ability for products and services from a particular platform; Microsoft, Apple, Google, BlackBerry, Sony, etc. to talk and work with each other, within and outside that system. It encompasses everything the provider offers. So not just phones, or computers, or apps, or gaming consoles.

When you buy a PS3, you can't play or interact with XBox games. You are tied into that ecosystem. To use most Google services, you need a GMail account, which is another way to tie you in. Manufacturers allow outsiders into their ecosystem, but with limited capabilities.

Apple, for example will let you use an iPhone with a PC. But to fully embrace their ecosystem, and all of their peripheral accessories, like Apple TV, Air (whatever), etc. , you would be better off with a MacBook. The more you buy in to a particular ecosystem, the better it is for said manufacturer. The bigger your investment in hardware/software, the harder it is to leave.

With W8-WP8 I believe that Microsoft will now have a complete ecosystem that will attract users from multiple directions; gaming, phone, computer, business. Everything connected to everything. They allow outsiders into their ecosystem for a taste. But to enjoy that refreshing cup of Kool-Aid, you will need to buy in, in the form of multiple device/service.

So, your choices are to dabble in multiple ecosystems; iPhone, Galaxy Tab, PC, PS3, and have no integration (or commitment), or take a big gulp of the flavor of choice. Choose wisely young grasshoppers.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Exactly the best apps are still iOS only and the kool-aid drinkers need to realize that. How do you get those premier iOS developers to crack open a book on C#?

I think you need to let this koolaid bit go. Your phrasing was wrong. Microsoft does have a bigger ecosystem but apple implements them better. Maybe you need to put down the apple juice

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs