920 and T-mobile in the US.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll be waiting for the deployment of the new 1900 band (end of Q4) and buying a 920 direct from Nokia and use T-Mobile's $30/month plan which is 5GB 4G data, unlimited texting and 150 minutes talk time. Considering that free VOIP calling will be supported by WP8, 150 minutes is all I'll ever need.

Last edited:

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
You could always buy out of contract and unlock it - I do think ATT and Tmobiles networks are compatible - I remember that the Galaxy Note buyers were doing this.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
You could always buy out of contract and unlock it - I do think ATT and Tmobiles networks are compatible - I remember that the Galaxy Note buyers were doing this.

The voice networks are compatible and the 2G networks are as well. But the 3G/4G networks are not. Yet. T-Mobile is currently refarming their spectrum to become compatible with AT&T's frequencies. So later this year and into 2013 you'll be able to bring an unlocked AT&T phone to T-Mo and use it perfectly.

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The voice networks are compatible and the 2G networks are as well. But the 3G/4G networks are not. Yet. T-Mobile is currently refarming their spectrum to become compatible with AT&T's frequencies. So later this year and into 2013 you'll be able to bring an unlocked AT&T phone to T-Mo and use it perfectly.

If this is true, then an unlocked 920 is my next phone.

ATT is expensive.

If the 920 comes out in Nov and T-Mobiles spectrum is suppose to be complete this year, then this could be good timing.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
If this is true, then an unlocked 920 is my next phone.

ATT is expensive.

If the 920 comes out in Nov and T-Mobiles spectrum is suppose to be complete this year, then this could be good timing.

Not if it's true. It is true. It's happening right now. So start saving your money for an unlocked 920. Though I am not sure if you'll get LTE on it. I don't know the answer to that.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Not if it's true. It is true. It's happening right now. So start saving your money for an unlocked 920. Though I am not sure if you'll get LTE on it. I don't know the answer to that.

I think you might get LTE since AT&T does use both 700Mhz and AWS for LTE, and T-Mobile plans on deploying LTE on AWS also (though I don't think LTE will launch until next year).

I think the bigger question is whether AT&T will allow for unlocked Lumia 920's. Remember the Lumia 900? People couldn't get unlock codes for that because of AT&T. I think only the Canadian Lumia 900 was unlockable, and the European version was unlocked, but was sans LTE.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I think you might get LTE since AT&T does use both 700Mhz and AWS for LTE, and T-Mobile plans on deploying LTE on AWS also (though I don't think LTE will launch until next year).

I think the bigger question is whether AT&T will allow for unlocked Lumia 920's. Remember the Lumia 900? People couldn't get unlock codes for that because of AT&T. I think only the Canadian Lumia 900 was unlockable, and the European version was unlocked, but was sans LTE.

Yes, I think you're right about LTE. I just did some searching and T-Mobile is definitely going to deploy it, but it doesn't look like it will be done anytime soon. I suspect it'll be done sometime by mid 2013. But the 4G HSPA+ will be done sooner.

Terminatorbob

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I have been reading about using straight Talk pre paid. From what I understand you can use either tmobile or att signals depending on what phone you have. I wonder if the lumia would still have to be unlocked to work?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I have been reading about using straight Talk pre paid. From what I understand you can use either tmobile or att signals depending on what phone you have. I wonder if the lumia would still have to be unlocked to work?

You choose either a T-Mobile SIM card or a AT&T SIM card from Straight Talk.

If you choose the AT&T version, it does not have to be unlocked. You won't get LTE though on Straight Talk. And I think you need a microSIM.

Terminatorbob

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
You choose either a T-Mobile SIM card or a AT&T SIM card from Straight Talk.

If you choose the AT&T version, it does not have to be unlocked. You won't get LTE though on Straight Talk. And I think you need a microSIM.

How fast are AT&T's hspa speeds? If they are reasonably quick no lte wouldn't be a deal breaker. For 45 a month you get unlimited everything with no mention of data throttling from what I have found.

I'm on tmobile prepaid right now and the speeds are blazingly fast in my area.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
How fast are AT&T's hspa speeds? If they are reasonably quick no lte wouldn't be a deal breaker. For 45 a month you get unlimited everything with no mention of data throttling from what I have found.

I'm on tmobile prepaid right now and the speeds are blazingly fast in my area.

Depends where you are and on network congestion. With full signal strength on a good day, I seem to get 4-5mbps down (at least I did on my iPhone with the speedtest app, and whatever the WP equivalent was that's now gone), but normally I get 1.5-3mbps on an average day. You'll probably get faster speeds on T-Mobile.

It's actually not unlimited everything, Straight Talk used to actually deactivate people's data if they thought they used too much, then if you called up and got your data reinstated and got caught using too much data again, eventually after a certain number of time's they'd just cancel your account, no refunds.

That's changed now, they appear to be throttling instead. I think if you use too much data and are throttled, you can call in, and they'll fix it but it'll only last for a day. The next day you'll be throttled again and I think this would last until the next billing cycle.

I use Straight Talk, but haven't run into these problems, but I have read about them from others who have. It's hard to recommend them because of the data thing, if you're a heavy data user, it's hard to recommend ST. Plus, if you really like T-Mobile's speeds, even though ST's speeds are decent, it's probably not close to T-Mobile (what are your speeds btw?).

What T-Mobile plan are you on if I may ask?

And you can read more about Straight Talk here if you want. Lots of information, but you kind of need to look for it.

Straight Talk

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

good point, I remember it only going to 2g, people saying slow as heck and not worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers