iPhone 5 or Lumia 920?

thirdsun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
You dont lose anything media wise, but not sure if Zune software works on macs

MS has a dedicated connector app to sync and organize your phone. I didn't try it (just going to make the switch from several iPhones to Lumia this fall) but I guess i'll be ok with it. As I understand it the connector is aware of your iTunes, Aperture and iPhoto libraries and also works with my very large Apple Lossless music library.

So if MS got the basics right with a small, lightweight and dedicated app and continues to support the Mac platform I guess I'll be fine. In fact being forced to use iTunes for everything phone-related is a frequent complaint among iPhone users and the WP-approach to this could be sirprisingly refreshing.

Faux Carnival

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920 pros

Better display (higher resolution, higher ppi, bigger screen, super sensitive, higher refresh rate, higher brightness)
Better cameras (especially front camera is unmatched)
NFC
Wireless charging
Nokia Maps (better than Google Maps if you are outside the US - not even mentioning Apple Maps)

Draw:
Industrial design
Battery life

iPhone 5 pros

Very thin, very light
App Store

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920. Not even going to think twice. I don't care if it is big and heavy because I will have a phone that will top anything out there for a while.

Awentz66

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Every ip5 I have seen in person has the black anodized antenna band marked up and the white ones are dinged. The 920 will be my first WP and I'm looking forward to ditching apple. From a specs view hands down Nokia wins. After seeing the poor quality control in several iPhone models I have owned I'm hoping for something to impress me again.

thirdsun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Anything less than 4.3 inch screen is small and poor in terms of accessibility

So, I guess with that personal opinion stated as a fact you single-handedly put an end to any discussion concerning screen size. You do realize that preferences may differ?

For instance I prefer being able to operate my phone with one hand which is why, I'd take a high-end 4 inch or less Lumia any day. Seriously, the iPhone's dimensions are perfect...in my opinion.

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
yes, once you buy something on itunes you own the rights to it. The files should be usable on W8 and WP8, so no worries there. Zune is great for music and movies.

I don't think its completely accurate. Even though one owns the rights, the content bought from Apple has DRM enabled which makes it impossible to play the content in Zune. You would have to strip the DRM from the video file. This however doesn't apply to MP3s.

thirdsun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
What about videos? That's what I specifically referring to.

While we are past DRM with music, Videos still require DRM which is why you won't be able to switch platforms and take those videos with you. This isn't exclusive to iTunes or Apple. In fact I'm pretty sure you would run into the same problems when switching from Microsoft (do they offer videos?) or Amazon to Apple. To my knowledge there is no legal way to get a DRM- free digital movie download of films from the usual major studios. In fact you can thank those hollywood suits for that situation. Video, in contrast to music, still is a DRM-ridden, region-locked bastion of major publishers and I guess that won't change any time soon.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
This may defeat the purpose - but why not just buy an iPod? Keeps you tied into the Apple Ecosystem - so you can at least watch the movies/shows you've already downloaded, but allows you to switch a bit more smoothly to WP8...

ayejay0601

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Hmm...tough decision. iPhone5 is a fine phone (Maps not withstanding). Lets start with that because obviously on a WP forum, you will get biased views. And if you want to watch movies with your kids, etc...I would think its just easier to stay in the iOS world. But I do believe the hardware and software specs on the 920 are superior. For you, it probably makes sense to go with iPhone 5 for now and consider switching to WP in another year or two. Lets face it, WP right now is still for early adopters....That will change rapidly though in the next year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos