10-09-2012 03:04 PM
54 123
tools
    That's very nice. But it's mostly for show. Although it's great if a phones charging port broke somehow.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    09-18-2012 08:40 PM
    I suppose that depends on ones choice of lifestyle tho.

For example, I know for a fact that when I get a 920, I WILL use the usb port at places mostly including my gfs various family members places. But that's just incase the 920s 2000mhA dosent perform that well. Always keeping a usb charger handy in the aforementioned briefcase anyways.

Another example is that my gf has allowed me to integrate a wireless charger into her nightstand.

So I might just get 10% charge here, 25% there and so on, placing the phone where I would throw it at anyways, and while individually not that impressive, Im hoping the cumulative effect amounts to never having to use that hellish usb port ever again!
    09-18-2012 08:54 PM
    I want one installed on the side of my head.
    Gaichuke likes this.
    09-19-2012 09:09 AM
    I was thinking about building wireless charging docks into things too. That would be sweet to just drop my phone on my nightstand and it would start automaticly charging with out having to try to put the cable in at night. And my desk plus other things, like the counter in the kitchen and the center console in my car or even charge wile it's in my pocket in my car.

I really would like to know the specs of the chargers. How far they work from a disance , will they go through wood, glass, plastic ?

Does anyone know these type of specs ? Do they need to "touch" the charger (resulting in these things not working).

Also do not want to spend $150+ on a charger that reaches through stuff, I was thinking about buying one of the current models and completly pulling it apart to mount inside things and maybe getting a better range of placement.

Anyone ?
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 09-19-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    09-19-2012 12:00 PM
    I'm going to disassemble one of those wireless chargers and then install it in my pants. I can put the charging battery in my back pocket and the charging coil will then be in my front pocket where I keep my phones.
    grndZr0 likes this.
    09-19-2012 12:27 PM
    I was also wondering if this would work, say through an otterbox case....

Ryan
    09-19-2012 05:09 PM
    If you look over ebay, there is a bunch of powermatt chargers...cheap... I think am going to grab one to pull apart but, I need something that is QI enabled to charge to test.

Any cheap QI charger adapters for a Trophy, a 3DS or a Vita that anyone knows about ??
    09-19-2012 05:45 PM
    I sometimes carry the anker 5600 mah in my pants. Its a portable charger. It does the job.

09-19-2012 10:06 PM
    If you look over ebay, there is a bunch of powermatt chargers...cheap... I think am going to grab one to pull apart but, I need something that is QI enabled to charge to test.

Any cheap QI charger adapters for a Trophy, a 3DS or a Vita that anyone knows about ??
    I'm still not sure whether Powermat is Qi compatible. I know they used to be part of the WPC (wireless power consortium, they created Qi) but then they left and started a different standard.

Energizer I think makes Qi chargers.
    09-20-2012 10:55 AM
    I'm still not sure whether Powermat is Qi compatible. I know they used to be part of the WPC (wireless power consortium, they created Qi) but then they left and started a different standard.

Energizer I think makes Qi chargers.
    I checked by looking up a few models of the powermats and it claimed Qi...and those are cheap.

And yes, the Energizer ones are Qi...

Even look online, someone added QI support to a HD2, so it might be possable with a little work to make any phone QI ready with a little work and possablly an extended battery cover...

Anyone know how much the Nokia wireless charger will be ?
    09-20-2012 11:48 AM
    Maybe 30 dollars. that would be fair. 50 would be to pricy.

09-20-2012 05:50 PM
    Wow. I thought I was the only one that though Qi = DYI projects. I'm planning on integrating it in my car somewhere on my dashboard panel, also on my night stand.
    09-20-2012 11:19 PM
    Wow. I thought I was the only one that though Qi = DYI projects. I'm planning on integrating it in my car somewhere on my dashboard panel, also on my night stand.
    I recently got an Energizer Qi charger off eBay for $19.99 shipped figuring I'd grab one cheap before a possible price spike. I'm not very electronically inclined but, I have considered opening it up to see if I can fab a permanent installation on my desk.
    09-21-2012 01:04 AM
    I recently got an Energizer Qi charger off eBay for $19.99 shipped figuring I'd grab one cheap before a possible price spike. I'm not very electronically inclined but, I have considered opening it up to see if I can fab a permanent installation on my desk.
    Remember that the Nokia qi plates are for the time being the only plates to have both charging and NFC, and this allow auto app launching when placing the phone on the charger.

Im getting a Nokia charger for me car, not sure about me desk yet, but nightstand and gf's nightstand will be cheep ones...

I have played around with the idea of the energizer qi pad with 2 chargers on, fit it inside my desk, and then see if I couldn't get something like a 820 cover with inductive charging, and somehow solder the coils onto my computer mouse.
    It just leaves the issue where I need to move it when its near death, so still thinking on that one.

I don't know If any of you managed to sit through that entire Russian "review", but they actually test the distance the 920 can be from the qi pad and still charge, and its actually around 1cm.
    I assume the longer from the pad the slower the charging time, but its nice to know Im gonna have some room to work with.
    09-23-2012 07:35 AM
    1 cm oh sh!t. . . What a waste of time to test that.

09-23-2012 12:44 PM
    It really surprised me that one of the biggest things I miss about my old Pre is the convenience of the Touchstone charger. Being able to basically drop it on the charger and not have to fumble with finding my cable and its tiny usb connector that has to be plugged in the right way is a real bonus. Honestly, we're only talking about saving about 3-4 seconds each time, but the perception of how easy that is has a much bigger impact for me.

The old Palm forums has lots of posts about how people were installing the Palm Touchstone chargers in their cars. Browse around there if you want to get some good ideas.
    09-23-2012 03:31 PM
    I have really been trying to find reasons not to buy the L920 (in favor of 8X and L820) but both of those phones have some lack of features that sway me towards the 920. Anywho, because I'm getting 920, and thus will be getting wireless charging I've already though of a way to integrate it into my home office desk.

I have a pretty thick leather desk pad made up of three layers; one layer of leather, one of cork, and one of some material which is in contact with the desk (don't know what its called). As long as I can pry open the shell of the wireless charger and spread out the components as I wish (modifications will be needed ofc) I might be able to fit the charger under the upper layer of leather.

This way I will have a seemingly ordinary desk pad where I currently use my laptop/paper documents/books with a charging area for my phone at the top left/right corner. It all depends on the thickness of the individual components of the charger, so this will probably be the first thing I investigate after getting my L920 /w wireless charger.
    09-27-2012 02:31 PM
    Remember that the Nokia qi plates are for the time being the only plates to have both charging and NFC, and this allow auto app launching when placing the phone on the charger.

Im getting a Nokia charger for me car, not sure about me desk yet, but nightstand and gf's nightstand will be cheep ones...

I have played around with the idea of the energizer qi pad with 2 chargers on, fit it inside my desk, and then see if I couldn't get something like a 820 cover with inductive charging, and somehow solder the coils onto my computer mouse.
    It just leaves the issue where I need to move it when its near death, so still thinking on that one.

I don't know If any of you managed to sit through that entire Russian "review", but they actually test the distance the 920 can be from the qi pad and still charge, and its actually around 1cm.
    I assume the longer from the pad the slower the charging time, but its nice to know Im gonna have some room to work with.
    What russian review ? I also picked up a Energizer QI charger on ebay for $16... and was thinking of gutting it to put in side things...
    09-29-2012 12:29 PM
    What russian review ? I also picked up a Energizer QI charger on ebay for $16... and was thinking of gutting it to put in side things...
    I took my energizer Qi charger apart and it'd be pain to use this one to integrate into other things. There's only one circuit board for both plates.
    09-29-2012 04:35 PM
    I took my energizer Qi charger apart and it'd be pain to use this one to integrate into other things. There's only one circuit board for both plates.
    Figured as much. Plan on putting them both next to each other in what your building it in. There for you will have a wider range of placing your device (I would think) or you can be ready for another QI charging device..
    09-29-2012 04:44 PM
    Figured as much. Plan on putting them both next to each other in what your building it in. There for you will have a wider range of placing your device (I would think) or you can be ready for another QI charging device..
    I might try to snag another if I can on the cheap. I want one in good working order when I get my phone.
    10-01-2012 11:15 PM
    If I end up with a 920, wireless charging would be a HUGE advantage for me. As a current webOS user, it's honestly one of the platform's great little features that have me hooked. It's less so about the speed and more so about ease, I have a Touchstone in the kitchen, living room, bedroom, rec room, I've even installed one in the car. One of the benefits with the Touchstone is its ability to magnetically attach itself to the phone, which lets you easily use one in the car, so you may be out of luck there with the Lumia.

What's really concerning me though, is the price. When the Touchstone was initially released it sold for a whopping $70, what's more, it costed about $5 to manufacture. Hopefully Nokia won't get too greedy, $30 would be a good price, but anything too much higher and I'm out.
    10-02-2012 12:43 AM
    Or exhibition mode like webOS has!

Although SAMOLED are prone to burn in, not sure id want an app that kept the screen on with static images... Then again, the 920 doesn't have an SAMOLED screen!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    No idea what is "exhibition mode", but you could do like the screensavers on AMOLED devices do.. they switch places. So instead of having the clock screensaver in the same place all night for it to burn in, it changes it's place every minute. Naturally with like.. a full screen image might be harder to do :P Just have it not show the same thing long periods :P

But yes, it's a small quality of life thing, but as someone who always (and just about only) charges their phone over the night, it's the project every night before going to bed is dig up the charger cable from behind the night stand or somewhere. Sure there could be a way (as easy as taping it) to have it there easier, but I wouldnt underestimate the convenience of just dropping it in. Especially more so in cases other than having it at your night stand. Being able to charge your phone by just putting it down on the tablet (in the right spot! :D) is a nice thing.

I'd like to get one of those JBL speakers for living room and/or kitchen and just a usual charging pad for the nightstand. Thought about installing it into the nightstand (I read that even up to 40mm off the pad and it should still charge), but I think my better half would kill me for touching the nightstand with anything that leaves a permanent change to it :D
    Last edited by Coreldan; 10-03-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    10-03-2012 11:16 AM
    I just picked up another energizer charging pad so, I've got one to disassemble and play with and one to actually use. :)
    10-08-2012 11:28 AM
    Anyone know if any company makes a NFC chip that can be installed in a home PC? What if you could power your NFC enabled wireless charging plate via USB from your PC? Then when you place your phone on the charger, the NFC tag automatically starts up the sync with XYZ on your PC. Or even if they made a NFC chip that connected via SATA or PCI to your PC and you just attached it to the inside of your PC case where you might rest a phone or be able to touch it to the PC. Or any combination of these ideas. What do you think?
    10-09-2012 10:16 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD